Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

Awning lights tied to front driving lights

Any way to shut off the driving lights and keep awning lights on my 2015 FR 3??
pseatower22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseatower22 View Post
Any way to shut off the driving lights and keep awning lights on my 2015 FR 3??
Hey there

Just to pass along my solution to this awning light control. I too (2015 FR3 30ds) was disappointed with the dual connected front led lights and awning lights and after tracing wires in dash, decided on a simple solution with a dimming feature benefit.

Link below.

PWM 12V Remote Dimmer

The (2) wires for the awning lights exits the chasis just below the floor (inside black wire loom) under the small black plastic cover just behind the passenger front seat. They run over to the battery.

I spliced in a waterproof in-line fuse leading from the battery to the remote box, capped off the end that did lead to the dash switch and connected the positive/negatives into and outgoing.

I mounted the remote sender to the side of the frame (forward of the battery) with wire strap and heavy duty velcro.

Another beautiful feature of the remote is when we go for walks and come back after dark (especially while dry camping) I can turn on the lights from a distance of about 30-50 yards and light up our site (making sure no slithery creatures have made camp on our outside rug).

I will try and add some photos of the install and locations if needed to help out.

Note: They do sell a waterproof version of this remote system, however I did not originally buy this. I used clear silicone (very liberally) inside and out of the remote sender box and terminals and have since been through numerous rain storms since last march (7500 miles) with no issues, however I would recommend a waterproof model so the install would not have to be done ever again.

Be safe and enjoy.
maceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maceman View Post
Hey there

Just to pass along my solution to this awning light control. I too (2015 FR3 30ds) was disappointed with the dual connected front led lights and awning lights and after tracing wires in dash, decided on a simple solution with a dimming feature benefit.

Link below.

PWM 12V Remote Dimmer

The (2) wires for the awning lights exits the chasis just below the floor (inside black wire loom) under the small black plastic cover just behind the passenger front seat. They run over to the battery.

I spliced in a waterproof in-line fuse leading from the battery to the remote box, capped off the end that did lead to the dash switch and connected the positive/negatives into and outgoing.

I mounted the remote sender to the side of the frame (forward of the battery) with wire strap and heavy duty velcro.

Another beautiful feature of the remote is when we go for walks and come back after dark (especially while dry camping) I can turn on the lights from a distance of about 30-50 yards and light up our site (making sure no slithery creatures have made camp on our outside rug).

I will try and add some photos of the install and locations if needed to help out.

Note: They do sell a waterproof version of this remote system, however I did not originally buy this. I used clear silicone (very liberally) inside and out of the remote sender box and terminals and have since been through numerous rain storms since last march (7500 miles) with no issues, however I would recommend a waterproof model so the install would not have to be done ever again.

Be safe and enjoy.
Sorry here's the link to the remote, it didn't go through with my post.

PWM 12V Remote Dimmer
maceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

The wires for the lights enter the coach on that year just behind the Passenger seat. You will see a small black 45 degree cover. I disconnected the lights and ran to a new switch I added by the door so you can turn the awning lights off and on from the door way.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1barnes View Post
The wires for the lights enter the coach on that year just behind the Passenger seat. You will see a small black 45 degree cover. I disconnected the lights and ran to a new switch I added by the door so you can turn the awning lights off and on from the door way.
Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!
pseatower22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #6

I got so tired of crappy headlights with LEDs I replaced both headlights with better visibility Chevy Silverado version without LEDs. Then I used the old supply to LED to add ground effect lights from step to rear wheel. The LED switch now gives soft yellow ground light. This is how we like it and no more neighbors at the campground knocking up the door telling us we left our lights on. At same time I added switch to awning lights as mentioned in replies to this thread. If needed I just flip the bright white awning lights on also.
Good SAM # 807510227
FROG # GA-0056-236
FMCA # F471293
Jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, light