Old 04-13-2015, 10:38 PM   #1
ArmyProud, Retired

Banging in the wind??

Here is a good one that I have not seen anything on to date. Situation: 2014 FR3 30DS, driving on the highway at normal speed (60 MPH). Winds pick up to "significant" with stronger gusts, coming from the left (drivers) side of the coach. When a gust hits the coach, a load banging or rapping is heard from what appears to be slightly behind the driver on the left side; load enough to startle the driver (me) significantly. The sound is louder when the wind is stronger, and almost continuous if the wind is constant with repetitious gusts. Almost sounds as if something is hanging outside and pushed into the coach with the wind. I assume it has something to do with the living room slider, but cannot find anything that would (or should) be making that kind of noise.
Anyone have any kind of similar experience? Any replies would be good, and anything form a FR representative would be great.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:01 PM   #2

Sounds like you were in our fr3 with us yesterday... In Alberta Canada... It turned out to be the awning that goes over the kitchen/living slidw out.. Ours was up but all twisted

Old 04-13-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I would look at the antenna and awnings both sliders and windows if you have them...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:45 PM   #4

I experienced the same thing recently when I experienced strong gusts of wind on the drivers side. It was loud enough that I pulled off to the side of the freeway to see if something had broken loose. I found nothing and also found nothing camping that night. I've since been up on the roof and found no damage either. I don't know what it was, but I suspect it might be the awning over the slide.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #5

Just a guess, but sounds like the slide out awning might be catching some of the wind and unrolling a little, then the tension snaps it back in...?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #6

Same thing happens to us. I thought the noise was coming from the engine compartment. I never found the cause - nothing broken or out of place. Like you, only happens at highway speeds when wind hits at an angle and is strong.

Live Aloha
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #7

If you have a crank up OTA antenna that is most likely what it is. Just apply a little extra down crank and that should do it. If you don't have this type of antenna disregard.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #8

I had the same thing in high gusty winds in New Mexico. Thought it was coming from above and outside the driver's window. When I stopped for gas I looked, but saw nothing. Haven't had it happen since, but then I haven't been in winds that strong (thankfully) since.

I didn't think of the slide awning.

Barbara
2014 FR3 30DS
Old 04-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
ArmyProud, Retired

Banging in the wind!!

Thanks for all the input. I think the culprit must be the awning. I did see it moving a bit in the wind but didn't think of that for the noise. Mine is a bit loose and may need to be tightened a bit.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #10

Sounds like your awning flapping in the breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwolf View Post
Here is a good one that I have not seen anything on to date. Situation: 2014 FR3 30DS, driving on the highway at normal speed (60 MPH). Winds pick up to "significant" with stronger gusts, coming from the left (drivers) side of the coach. When a gust hits the coach, a load banging or rapping is heard from what appears to be slightly behind the driver on the left side; load enough to startle the driver (me) significantly. The sound is louder when the wind is stronger, and almost continuous if the wind is constant with repetitious gusts. Almost sounds as if something is hanging outside and pushed into the coach with the wind. I assume it has something to do with the living room slider, but cannot find anything that would (or should) be making that kind of noise.
Anyone have any kind of similar experience? Any replies would be good, and anything form a FR representative would be great.