Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #1

Banks Power Pack for the FR3

Hello:

We are getting ready to pick up our 2016 FR3 from the Dealer. I am curious to know if anyone has installed a Banks Power Pack on your FR3 and if you noticed a difference with MPG and your horse power with towing and hill climbing? We tow a boat with our Class C now and I am hoping the FR3 has a little more power when going up the passes. Also does anyone know if adding the power pack voids any warranty?

Thanks

Gregg
Relore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #2

Not a lawyer but read link

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #3

The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #4

So a crude example would be. After installing a super charger. The water pump goes bad. It should be covered. But if you were only to blow a head gasket it probably wouldn't.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

Also just because the law has protections in it. Doesn't mean they won't fight you at every step.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Well now that I see it's only a cold air system headers and a chip programmer. Remember everything with vehicles is based on comprises. Ie less restricted air filter. More microscopic particles get into engine. Could cause rings to wear faster. But on a motor home that will wear out long before that engine ever will, not so important. Might have to change oil more often. Headers, problem most eventually leak. An exhaust leak is not something I would want in a motor home. You will increase the power of the engine, but at the cost of higher heat in the engine or less fuel economy. Higher heat bad for oil and exhaust valves. Usually corrected by dumping in more fuel. Cost fuel economy. Basically very simplified nothing is free. The hidden costs is higher cylinder temperature, which are already high due to emissions. Good luck with what you decide there is no wrong choice, just comprises. BTW if you really need more torque get a diesel.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #7

Hi Gregg
I was thinking about adding a programmer to my 2015 Fr3 to help with the exteneded shift pattern of the transmission. I am an auto tech and feel that the engine is really over revving under normal driving mainly in town. I find myself letting off the gas to wait for the trans to shift. I also spoke with a company that does RV programmers and was told that the biggest complaint is the trans over revs the engine.
Chet
CARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

* compromises ..... damn spell check
Old 05-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #9

Hello Relore,
I have a Bank's system on my Newmar and would recommend it for almost any gasoline engine. I would email Bank's engineering and let them tell you.what is what. They do make a great product. They are also involved in racing engines.
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:57 AM   #10

CARMAN, I agree with you. I've only drove my 2015 FR3 30DS (JeNNY) about 75 miles so far, so JeNNY only has 810 miles on her so far. She ready likes to scream up in the 4,000 RPM area before she wants to shift. My Dad had a 2004 Forest River on the same F53 chassis and he says it's never hurt anything that the V10 didn't mind the higher RPM's. I don't like it, but then again this is my 1st V10, coming from a Chevy 454 that l would never ever see 4,000 RPM's unless I wasn't paying attention and it would auto down shift in a grade. Of course I would flip off the cruse as fast as l could then. We leave on our 1st trip In 2 weeks for Moab and so we are about to get to know JeNNY a little better, but I already know I'll also like you, be getting off the gas and waiting for JeNNY to up shift. I've already changed JeNNY's oil, because l didn't want to have to do it while on our trip. I'm using 5W20 Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil. We will see how it goes.

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:48 AM   #11

I don't have a class a or fr3 but I have customers that do and I have researched a little bit on the banks. If I am correct (and DW says I'm never) their controller/programmer won't work on the newer units. So you are left with intake and exhaust upgrades. Together, they do provide a boost in power but the draw backs are reduced mileage (minimal considering what you guys are already working with) and noise. You definably want to talk with someone who has it before plunking down your change for it as you may not be able to hold a conversation with your passengers under heavy load situations. So ask yourself, do you want more power and a little more pulling piece of mind or comfort and enjoying the ride.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #12

I also have a 2004 Georgetown. It was a great value when I bought it and I have no intentions to part with it because it still runs great, but the 2004 version of the V10 coupled with the 3-spd +OD needed help in two areas: hills and trans. shift management. So I put the Banks Power Pack on it plus purchased the Brazels UltraPower tune (much like 5-Star's tune). It made a huge difference in drivability in hills and with much better shift management and execution. On your FR3, if it has the 3-vlv. motor, I don't think from what I've read that the Banks will give you that much more that what you already have. And unless you have specific issue with the 5-spd transmission, I'm not sure what you will gain there either. I sure wish I had those two extra gears. So my recommendation would be to get some driving under your belt and then make your decisions on what you want to do, In the end, it's your money and your decision, but you might find that you will better spend it on something else for the RV if your driving experience is better than you had anticipated.
BigMac8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #13

For what it is worth, Banks engineering also makes a Trans module to smooth out the shifts. As info
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #14

Owners of M/H's I've talked to tell me the Banks system does add significant power and likely helps with gas mileage, but the added power results in higher speed, so the added gas mileage isn't! However, every one I've talked to would install one again!
Doxies Penny & Lucy
Located Western States
ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power