Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Motoring

Basic Electrical

I want to learn to do some basic electrical modifications to the RV.

For example:

I'd like to add some cool LED lights under the awning - not in the roller bar track, but up at the coach where the awning is connected to the coach.

I'd also like to add some blue LED lights at the step well to illuminate that area a little bit more

And lastly, we saw some RV's with illuminated handles as you're going up the steps, that had an LED light that illuminates the handle so you can see it in the night.

I have a 2013 FR 30DS. I would like to tie these into the light switch for the orange flood that's located near the step well.

Where do I start?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Steve
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #2

find the wires going to the orange light and use a test light or a volt meter to figure out the positive and negative wires and splice into them

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #3

I've done some LED projects in the past and its pretty simple. If you stick with just plain white LEDs reels, its just 12v+ and gnd to complete the circuit. And like Bobb36 said, just use your multimeter to tie them into your switch. Easiest is to run the wiring down your awning track into the RV by the fire extinguisher (where that 45 degree cover is) and install the switch to your power source. I just know that "3M" adhesive that comes on these strips doesn't seem like the real deal. I just run a bead of silicone and basically set the strip in a bed of that.

If you want color changing LED strips, you can search for RGB LED strips, but it'll have 4 wires (a 12v+ and basically ground to RGB wires). It'll goto a controller with a remote, but I find the novelty wears off and is a pain to keep up with another remote.

You could pick up the kit in the last link (I think the awning on our 30DS is 16ft) and be a one stop kit. And if you need to cut to size these LED strips, its easily done with a pair of scissors. If you look at the strip, you'll see a cut line every 3 or so LEDs. Cut there and you'll be good. And same thing with the steps, just cut a 12" strip off that reel. Solder on a +/- lead and splice that into the current Orange Light wires and you'll be good to go. Just buy a blue LED reel.

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers...rds=awning+led

KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical