Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #1

Battery not charging off Genny

Hi! We have a '15 30DS.

So for the past week or so we've been dealing with this issue where the only way the house batts charge is by driving. We weren't sure if the genny was actually charging them because the percent on the battery monitor wouldn't budge when we'd be running it. The numbers are def moving down, sometimes even with the genny running and not a full load (not working the appliances, nothing charging, etc, just the house being "on").

All house appliances and outlets are working just fine with the genny on, so we know it's definitely supplying juice. David checked the breakers, the shore plug, and the battery disconnect several times and as recently as yesterday, and everything looks good. Yesterday we took a drive to empty the holding tanks and refill our fresh water. The battery monitor read 105 when driving, then 100 when we parked back at camp. Before bed I checked the "convenience center" monitor panel and it said 1/3 despite the battery monitor reading in the mid-90s. This morning the battery monitor read 90, and when David reset it, it was then reading 100, then began dropping rapidly. We ran the genny for about an hour, and it's still not matching up at all. The photos attached were just taken when I turned the genny off.

We don't know which monitor to believe, and regardless, something funky is going on. We are boondocking in Newfoundland so RV stores and the like are nowhere close by. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5816.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	152250Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5815.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	152251

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

- Maybelle
MaybzNDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #2

OK, you need to separate your measurements. The Trimetric reading shown indicates that the batteries have 98% of the capacity that you set into the gauge. The LEDS are showing low voltage. You need to start the generator and see what the Trimetric or LEDs show. You should be seeing a voltage of AT LEAST 13.2 if your converter is working. 13.2 will also light all 4 LEDS which indicates charging.

The SOC side of a Trimetric is useful after running all night, the voltage side is generally where I leave mine set so I can see what is charging the banks and how much. With the engine running you should see in excess of 14 volts, with the converter running you should see at least 13.6 and maybe even higher.

If you don't see something above 13 volts with the engine running or the generator powering the converter (or shore power) you have a converter or alternator problem respectively. The SOC side of the Trimetric is only telling you how much you have drawn and replaced.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
OK, you need to separate your measurements. The Trimetric reading shown indicates that the batteries have 98% of the capacity that you set into the gauge. The LEDS are showing low voltage. You need to start the generator and see what the Trimetric or LEDs show. You should be seeing a voltage of AT LEAST 13.2 if your converter is working. 13.2 will also light all 4 LEDS which indicates charging.

The SOC side of a Trimetric is useful after running all night, the voltage side is generally where I leave mine set so I can see what is charging the banks and how much. With the engine running you should see in excess of 14 volts, with the converter running you should see at least 13.6 and maybe even higher.

If you don't see something above 13 volts with the engine running or the generator powering the converter (or shore power) you have a converter or alternator problem respectively. The SOC side of the Trimetric is only telling you how much you have drawn and replaced.

Turned the genny on just now. The central monitor is barely flashing at 1/3 and is staying pretty much at Empty now. The Tri-Metric was at 11.4 and struggled to get to 11.5, where it seems to be staying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5874.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	152275

There is also an hour glass looking icon that is flashing at us, this is the first time I notice that.

Name:	IMG_5875.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	152276

Name:	IMG_5876.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	152277
Old 09-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #4

We just turned the engine on and the Tri-Metric climbed up to 14.0, with the genny on it's maintaining. Turned the gen off and slowly climbing, at 14.1, and the main console gauge LEDs are reading Full. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1506187153.016404.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	152278

Nothing is being run right now either. Not even house LED lights.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
from Cali

Hi, first I want to let you know that I have the exact same tri-metric system in my coach. I believe Scott uses it also.

If you're only getting a little over 11V with the generator running you are not charging just at Scott said above.

A couple questions:

Do you know where your converter is located? Is it plugged in?

Did you work with someone to install the system? Do you have the owners manual? Do you have solar and a A 110 inverter?
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pilot View Post
Hi, first I want to let you know that I have the exact same tri-metric system in my coach. I believe Scott uses it also.

If you're only getting a little over 11V with the generator running you are not charging just at Scott said above.

A couple questions:

Do you know where your converter is located? Is it plugged in?

Did you work with someone to install the system? Do you have the owners manual? Do you have solar and a A 110 inverter?

Everything by the converter feels hardwired in.

Name:	IMG_5878.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	152286

Name:	IMG_5877.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	152287

System was installed when we bought it. No for owners manual regarding converter. No solar, unknown but don't think so about the inverter.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
from Cali

It has a plug on it which plugs into the ceiling plug above the converter. That's where it gets its power from either the shore power or the generator. Check the plug to see if you're getting 110V and make sure it's plugged in tightly.

I also bought the small controller off Amazon. I believe it was like $20. It gives you an option for fast charge in case you only have power for a short time.

If you don't have power there I would check the circuit breaker's by the bed to see if one is blown. Or possibly the fuses are blown in the converter.

I'm just making some guesses here to give you some options of things to check.

Name:	IMG_1506194185.493370.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	152289
Old 09-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
It has a plug on it which plugs into the ceiling plug above the converter. That's where it gets its power from either the shore power or the generator. Check the plug to see if you're getting 110V and make sure it's plugged in tightly.

I also bought the small controller off Amazon. I believe it was like $20. It gives you an option for fast charge in case you only have power for a short time.

If you don't have power there I would check the circuit breaker's by the bed to see if one is blown. Or possibly the fuses are blown in the converter.

I'm just making some guesses here to give you some options of things to check.

Attachment 152289

RV Pilot, you are a genius. We owe you a drink when we're all in the same town.

Everything is working and the volts are climbing as the genny runs. Must've gotten knocked loose in transit.

Name:	IMG_5880.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	152290
Old 09-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
from Cali

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji1303]
Old 09-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #10

There you go...it all works! Just make it a habit to glance at the Trimetric when running or connected to shore power to make sure that "something" is charging you banks. You can switch to SOC when drawing significant power from your banks.

BTW, nice pic of the battery monitor...if you notice, on battery the labels are L...low, F...fair, G...good and C...charging!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
battery the labels are L...low, F...fair, G...good and C...charging!

[emoji44] OMG! Mind blown.

Also, what is SOC? [emoji851]
Old 09-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
from Cali

You may I want to download the PDF for your 2030. It can give you a lot of information, but without the manual it's difficult to understand. It's also a good start to going solar which if you like to dry camp/Boondock would be a good option.

My roof.. I almost never use my generator or plugged into shore power. Only to exercise it and possibly run my AC.

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	152297
Old 09-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
You may I want to download the PDF for your 2030. It can give you a lot of information, but without the manual it's difficult to understand. It's also a good start to going solar which if you like to dry camp/Boondock would be a good option.

My roof.. I almost never use my generator or plugged into shore power. Only to exercise it and possibly run my AC.

Remote control for the converter has been added to our Amazon wishlist for when we're back in the states.

The plan is to get solar, sooner than later. We didn't know a reputable place to get it done before leaving, but yeah, we do a LOT of boondocking and are full time (We've spent fice nights in a campground out of the last six weeks). We aren't super electrical savvy, if you can't tell from this post, so self install is out of the question.

Did you do yours yourself or do you have a place you really liked?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
from Cali

I ended up doing it all myself. I started off by first changing out my 2 12v batteries 4 6v Trojan batteries.

Then I got some instructions and a shopping list from ScottBrownstein. A big portion of the items I bought off Amazon including my solar panels.

I don't know how you're surviving without an 110v inverter. I couldn't stand it after one weekend! Maybe I'm spoiled I need my TV and Kirig coffee maker. [emoji23]
Old 09-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #15

Quote:
I ended up doing it all myself. I started off by first changing out my 2 12v batteries 4 6v Trojan batteries.

Then I got some instructions and a shopping list from ScottBrownstein. A big portion of the items I bought off Amazon including my solar panels.

I don't know how you're surviving without an 110v inverter. I couldn't stand it after one weekend! Maybe I'm spoiled I need my TV and Kirig coffee maker. [emoji23]

Maybe you and Scott can teach us.

And the 110v inverter is also on the list, but in the meantime we are doing okay with Netflix and a percolator. [emoji23]
Old 09-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #16

Google "handy bob solar". It is a blog and a good source for understanding solar components and monitors. I spent quite a while reading and gathering info from this forum before installing solar on my 5th wheel last year. Although some people on here disagreed with some of handy bobs info, I found his blog very helpful and easier to understand than most. I also mined a lot of info from Scott's posts in the past.

At any rate, the more you read and understand in advance, the better choices you will make for your needs.
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging