Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

Battery upgrades

Has anyone upgraded the battery system in their FR3? If so, what did you do?
teamjendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

I don't have an FR3 but I did upgrade my batteries to a pair of 90ah deep cycles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #3

The biggest that will fit, and the best you can afford/need.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #4

lol .. which brings me back to my question.

what is the biggest/best i can put in a 25DS
teamjendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

You asked.

http://www.amsolarrv.com/lbats/40s-vt-400-ess

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

I need to learn more about these battery systems and how they function. Perfect source for me. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamjendy View Post
The only upgrade I"ve seen is someone went from 2, 12V batteries to 4, 6V. A new battery mounting plate would have to been made in order to hold the 4 batteries.
Hope this helps.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

I neglected my 2015 FR3 30DS stock batteries, mostly because they are out of sight out of mind. mine were not only low on water but we're also dead dead dead... And for a long time. I yanked em out, cleaned em up, filled with distilled water, and used my buddies ship to shore charger. I nursed these battery's for 3 days with over night rests and I'm happy to say I've got them back and hovering around 78%. Not bad for the long dry dead period of about 6 month with most of that time being winter.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #9

Just for knowledge sake, the portion of the plates that were uncovered in acid, are now dead. If you're only using them sparingly, you probably won't notice it, but if you dry camp much, you will. The test would be, put a load on them from the 78% you believe them to be maintaining, and then after a short time, re-test. That will give you some idea, how much functional utility your dealing with.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamjendy View Post

When I got my 30DS, I added solar, and when I did that, I removed the original 2 - 12V house batteries and installed 4 - 6V batteries. I did have to install another battery holder for the extra batteries. The reason being that from what I've read, battery longevity favors the 6 Volt batteries. My understanding is that a major cause of deep cycle battery failure is the shedding of active material from the battery plates and the 6 volt batteries have thicker plates. I'm no expert on the subject, but that's what I ended up doing.
Landshark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Just for knowledge sake, the portion of the plates that were uncovered in acid, are now dead. If you're only using them sparingly, you probably won't notice it, but if you dry camp much, you will. The test would be, put a load on them from the 78% you believe them to be maintaining, and then after a short time, re-test. That will give you some idea, how much functional utility your dealing with.

Yea sir, at this time in our lives we don't dry camp, only RV parks. We might dry camp over night during a trip but we will always be in rv park camp grounds with full hook ups. I know the battery's are in a bum leg and l already know what batts I'm going to replace them with. But for now I'm happy they even came back at all.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:15 AM   #12

Well since bringing my stock batteries back to life after finding them dry and dead l thought I would give a little update. Out 30DS is at a storage place covered up, we're both away from home at school working on our masters. So when we went home to get our motor home (Minnesota) and bring it out here (Virginia) that's when l learned my battery's were kaput. It's been about 7 weeks since all this and we visited our motor home yesterday. The 1st good sign was when l unlocked our rig and opened the door the steps came out powerful and fast. I hit the battery disconnect switch and walked right to the control panel where the slides, generator and LP,fresh,holding,battery info is. I pushed the button and all the little lights came on showing a full charge. I'm thinking that's alright. Well anyway while we were there l started the V10 and let her run about 15 minutes, just to let the engines alternator tingle the battery's just a hair. I'm happy and feel lucky, cuz those suckers were low and dead.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #13

Hopefully you will be lucky, but my bet is that while they will hold a charge, their total capacity has been permanently reduced from the permanent loss of oxidized plate area that was not covered with electrolyte. As others have said, the problem will appear when you draw significant current and the state of charge drops much faster that it would have with fully capable batteries. If you don't boondock you should be OK, but if you really need those amp hours they are probably gone forever.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #14

My husband replaced ours soon as he took delivery - I'll ask exactly which type and let you know - a gel type I believe? And more capacity overall. He said our batteries though on a brand new coach were actually mfg two years ago- he got credit for them and traded up for brand new ones.
kerber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #15

Ok, I got tired of worrying about the stock batteries not having enough amp life for boondocking. Here in the west, boondocking is so abundant with locations I had to do something. The areas are too breathtaking not to stay awhile. So, I took the plunge and built the rack (40$ in material) for the (4) 6v T-105 plus. There was plenty of room in the FR3 30DS. Welding a brace to the left side and previous rack gave it the stability it needed. I will add an auto fill system to maintain them. After all was done, I said to myself "Self, there looks like you have enough room for another row of 4 batteries in front of these" Decided not to get too greedy. Would have to re-plan everything. I will eventually get better batteries (AGM or whatever new tech) when I burn these up. I sent some photos to show it is doable and NICE TO HAVE!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160721_101151_001.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	114881   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160721_101310.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	114882  

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #16
2015 FR3 25DS

How is everyone who has a 25DS checking their battery fluid since its outa sight outta mind?

2015 FR3 25DS
2007 Jeep Rubicon (carried)

You just have to get your hands dirty sometime...
AngioTech55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, upgrade