Old 05-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #1

BBQ Propane Adapter

FYI... I've been using a BBQ adapter (see pic) for a couple years without any issues. Recently left on a trip and discovered only a small amount of propane was being released into the system. Refrig had no check light lit. My adapter was installed before the regulator.

Got up the next morning to discover no hot water. The water heater would cycle on and then shut off. Stove burners would start and then die out. Thought it might be the propane valve at first, but then discovered it wasn't when I put the regular back where it originally was installed.

I took the adapter to an RV dealer in UT to buy another one. The salesman told me there was nothing wrong with it. He blew into it and his breath came out the other end with no issue. He told me to reinstall it, let it sit for 20 mins, then turn the propane valve on ever so slowly.

That was the trick and everything works like a charm again. I've always just turned the valve on normally (vs. very slowly) and never had a problem before. I'm now wondering if there was too much pressure in the propane tank from the last fill - the propane meter was at "F" when it normally shows less that "F" after being filled up.

Anyway... passing this info along in case you might be scratching your head...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-18 smaller.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	204991  

Old 05-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #2

Yep, learned this the hard way with my propane grill at the house. Now I always slowly turn on the propane on anything.

Goatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #3

Opening the valve on the propane tank to fast can cause the safety shutoff to function. The way to correct is to close the tank valve and then reopen slowly. this happens all the time and is a safety feature on propane tanks many folks don't know is there.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq, propane