Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
2015 FR3 25DS

Bed-over-cab braces

Hello! We've just purchased a new 2015 25DS partially in preparation to move from NC to AK this summer, and then to explore AK as fully as possible. Because of the roads on both our road trip up and in AK, I want to be proactive and get braces in place so we don't have any bumpy road heart attacks from the bed dropping off the magnets. I've searched the forums and I keep reading that people made braces or "pogo sticks" for the bed, but does anyone have pics or a rough diagram of what you've made?

Thanks!
Newbies in an FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #2

Welcome to the world of FR3. Hope you love your rig as much as we do.
Check out the post of "FR3 Pictures of Mods" there is what you are looking for and many many more ideas. and be safe.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbies in an FR3 View Post
Hello! We've just purchased a new 2015 25DS partially in preparation to move from NC to AK this summer, and then to explore AK as fully as possible. Because of the roads on both our road trip up and in AK, I want to be proactive and get braces in place so we don't have any bumpy road heart attacks from the bed dropping off the magnets. I've searched the forums and I keep reading that people made braces or "pogo sticks" for the bed, but does anyone have pics or a rough diagram of what you've made?

Thanks!
It was funny for me at least. After the first time it came crashing down, I went to lowes to build mine. Then I saw allot of other people build the same thing. It is funny, how somethings are just naturally built a certain way. It was before I even seen other peoples pics on this site.

1. First find 4 rubber boots for furniture. A rubber boot that usually goes on the bottom of chairs so they do not slide or scratch the floor.

Example
    Shop Waxman 4-Pack 1.125-in Black Rubber Tips at Lowes.com

2. Go back to the wood section and find a dowel that will fit it. I cannot remember what size, but around 1.25 inch dowel. Just open the rubber boots and find a dowel that this fits snuggly on.

EXAMPLE:
    Shop Madison Mill Round Poplar Dowel at Lowes.com

3. Go Home. Cut your dowl to size for side 1, (remeasure side 2 mine were a 1/4 inch off) cut your second down, add boots, make sure the rod fits tight between the bed and the little shelf that supports the bed.
    -
  4. Drink beer, your done.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #4

Here's a link to the post about the mod:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-78734-4.html
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
2015 FR3 25DS

Thanks, everyone! I did see the Pictures of Mods thread, but it seemed like there were spring-loaded ones like shower rods and solid dowel ones, so I thought I'd ask. Linchat, thank you especially! I was just at Lowe's measuring and puzzling out ideas for shelves and to build a passenger-side console. I looked at shower rod rubber ends for this project, but didn't think to look for furniture boots- perfect!

I've been reading the forums night and day; we're equal parts nervous and excited to spend most of the summer living in our FR3- definitely grateful for such a helpful and welcoming community!
Newbies in an FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #6

linchat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed