Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #1

Bedroom slide out

Just got the MH out of storage. The bedroom slide out is not moving. I checked the fuse, got it plugged in, batteries are full. Any suggestions? The big slide is fine.

Thanks.
johnpisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #2

From another post look at accuslide from Norco.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forest River Forums mobile app
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

Test the switch.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #4

Is it making any noise?

Old 04-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #5

Just making a click sound, but not even trying to move.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #6

My problem was...

I took my unit out on its first trip. Got to the campground and tried to put the bedroom out. It went but was making a noise that was different than the dinette (FR3 DS25). It got about half way out and I stopped before I broke something.

It appears that the gearbox that moves it in and out has a bad gear in it. I called the dealers service department, they called the manufacturer. The suggestion was to have the wife push the button in and I would get outside and push (assist) the slide back in. That was enough to get it back in. We were 91 miles from the house and were not going to drive with it out.

I had to get above the bed, in the 4 doors and remove a panel to see the motor, shaft and gearbox. When the button was pushed the motor, flexible shaft all turned good. BUT the gear where the 2 bicycle chains attach was not moving.

The unit is now at the house and a gear box is on order. I suspect that the unit might have been damaged at the RV show prior to us buying it. But its a warranty issue and it will be fixed.

NOW with all that said you might want to try pushing from the inside and push it out, with some help on the bed out button. It might just need a nudge to get it moving. Before hitting the road you might want to cycle it a few times. The service manual is available online, but it was completly useless for my problem.

I hope that helps you some...You might have to get into the same space over the bed and remove the 9 screws that hold the cover on and put a drill motor and the flexible shaft to turn it out. The service manual shows that part, but finding the motor, shaft and gearbox was like an Easter egg hunt...
Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #7

Thanks wjpelka. I have called Forest River and they informed me that I should bring it to a dealer. As my dealer is 6hours away, I have found one near me. Although they do not sell FR3's, they will look at it at the end of May..(of this year).
Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpisue View Post
Thanks wjpelka. I have called Forest River and they informed me that I should bring it to a dealer. As my dealer is 6hours away, I have found one near me. Although they do not sell FR3's, they will look at it at the end of May..(of this year).
The manual override is actually a tool that looks like a flex shaft for a drill. That is exactly what it is. You put the "hex" end on the stub shaft at the rear of the motor and attach a battery operated drill (not supplied) to the other end.

Unfortunately this will not work for WJPELKA because his gear box is stripped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flex Drive Tool.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	51163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wardrobe Slideout Motor.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	51164  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
Motoring

Slides don't work with the engine running for safety. That threw me once.
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The manual override is actually a tool that looks like a flex shaft for a drill. That is exactly what it is. You put the "hex" end on the stub shaft at the rear of the motor and attach a battery operated drill (not supplied) to the other end.

Unfortunately this will not work for WJPELKA because his gear box is stripped.

Haha, that's what that thing is for, thanks!
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
The first year I owned my camper I thought the tech doing the PDI forgot it as it was never mentioned during acceptance. Found out much later.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #12

The gearbox went on mine so I am waiting for them to install a new motor and gearbox. Seeing that they had to remove eight screws and the back wall of the cabinet over the bed, how would ever do that in and emergency?

I will cut a hole and put a plug in it that lines up with the motor so I can easily use the tool the next time the slide will not come in.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enconcapt View Post
...I will cut a hole and put a plug in it that lines up with the motor so I can easily use the tool the next time the slide will not come in.
Sounds like a good solution.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #14

Good idea, BUT...

The end of the motor that the flexible shaft fits into is hard to get to. If it were mounted different, I am sure that Forest River would have done just that. But it is mounted to run "North and South". That means that you have to remove the panel. If you cut a hole it might be hard to get the shaft into the hole. The end that goes into the motor is a #2 Square Drive. SO, you have to get the shaft in there just right. The panel has 4 screws on the top to hold it up and 5 screws in the bottom to hold it to the wall. #2 Square Drive to remove these, but you'll need a very short stubby driver to get it out.

I will try to get a picture of mine with the panel off. ALSO, the motor and gear box picture in this topic is different than what I have in my FR3. There is about a 3" space between the motor and gear box that has a small piece of "Speedometer Cable" that serves as a weak link. It is almost a shear pin designed to protect the gear box. Didn't work out that way on mine...
Old 05-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #15

Here are some pics...

The one picture shows the motor, shaft and gearbox. The output shaft is pointing straight up and has the 2 chains wrapped around it. The double gear is held on with a snap ring on top and has a key in it. I could not find an allen set screw in mine. I think if I were to fix this my self, I would measure the adjusting nut position on each chain that I remove and put it back to those dimensions when thru.

One picture shows the cables on the front end of the slide. Similar setup on the rear. Might be a real nightmare to get this setup...

Another picture shows the end of the motor that the flexible shaft will fit into. If the gearbox is shot, that will not help with the situation. If you have no power or the motor burns up, the flex shaft would be the way to move it...

I sure wish this was the hydraulic system (I think). BUT my jacks aren't working now because of a bad diode in the short cable near the motor and pump.

First time uploading pics on this site. Can't see them on my "Preview" but will post this and see what happens...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flexible Shaft Connection -1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	51431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Forward End Cables-1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	51432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor and Gearbox-1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	51433  
Old 05-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #16

WJP did you notice it appears the gear box is not level in your picture.
Not sure if it is or if it matters. But could be cause of failure. FYI just a guess.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #17

Stephan,
I did notice that in the picture, but I think it has to do with the angle I took it from. Also the optical illusion from the cover that is laying in the picture makes it look that way. I will check it next time I am out in the MH. Thanks for pointing that out...
Old 05-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #18

Thanks for the great pics. It really helps.

John
Old 05-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #19

Just curious where did you find the flexible shafts is it stored some where? I didn't get one in my stuff.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #20
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
(chuckle) I found our flex drive in a kitchen drawer.

"Look what I found honey! Someone must have left this in the drawer while it was coming down the assembly line!"

DH grinned real big, grabbed it and said "ooooh NICE that's going in MY toolbox!"

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, roo, slide, slide out