Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
Curiouser and Curiouser

Bedroom Slide-out Makes three loud pops

2016 FR3 DS

Suddenly after two weeks of trouble free camping, the bedroom slide-out is making 3 fairly loud pops just as the slide-out reaches its full extension. I brought it back in and it seemed fine. When I re-extended, I got the same 3 pops when it reached its full extension.

I have searched the site, but could not locate this same question. Would be grateful for any ideas or, if I missed it, a link to a previous thread with this issue. Thank you Forest River Friends!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
Curiouser and Curiouser

Slide now officially broken

Sigh...now I can hear that the motor is slipping as the slide goes out. We already had to replace the motor and gear in the living room slide and this looks like a repeat for the bedroom slide. Nothing for it but to make the best of it (much better to be broken than the living room slide) and not let it ruin our 6 week trip!

We are going to move everything out of the drawers, get the slide back in and buy a set of drawers from Target and move our clothes from the now inaccessible drawers to the cheap four drawer cabinet which we will place in one of the wardrobes.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #3

Our '16 30ds is in the shop now. That was one of the things they are working on. (still under warranty)

They said the chain linkage was hitting the drive and had to re-adjust it.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Curiouser and Curiouser

Thanks for the information Old Gunny! For just a moment there, I thought the forum was going to let me down. It would have been the first time! I will share your experience with our RV repair shop.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #5

All of our slides do that

Both of our Rockwood slides do that and somewhere in one of these blogs, we read that it is normal. Have not had any problems in spite of the 3 pops.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #6

Slide out pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwodom View Post
Both of our Rockwood slides do that and somewhere in one of these blogs, we read that it is normal. Have not had any problems in spite of the 3 pops.
Have also heard the pops but now slow down prior to completing the in or out movement. No problems otherwise!
gen3rbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #7

One of the slides on our Rockwood wasn't installed properly and didn't line up correctly so after a few uses we had loud pops when opening/closing. If I remember correctly, I believe either the cog broke or some teeth broke off. It was still under warranty and was covered.
dsiegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #8
Curiouser and Curiouser

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks so much for your help and advice everyone! I really appreciate the great advice, ideas, and shared experiences from other owners on this forum!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #9

We have a 25ds 2015 fr3. Ours had to have the motor replaced a few months ago. My advice would be to make the best of it till you get home then take it to the warranty shop to be replaced. It took C/W a week to get ours okd then replaced. Waiting for the living room slide to go next its starting to make weird noises now. Motor/gear box were replaced under warranty.
jogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #10

Dealer replaced our bedroom slide at about 6 months. Changed out both motors and gearboxes. Year plus no issues. Last 3 months managed to break a tooth on bedroom slide then managed to leave a drawer open and sheared 8 teeth off the main slide gear box. So rather than mess with the dealer...downloaded the manuals for the accuslide. Ordered gear boxes and took it all apart. Learned to tension the system its all pretty straight forwards. Now i carry a spare gear box and expect ill never need it. If the main slide is in when it breaks...it is a pain (literally) to get to the motor/gearbox. I ended up taking it free and pushing the slide out supported to make it easy to access. Definetly easier if you have help. Bedroom is easy due to larger access area (at least in 25DS).

Popping probably gear box...but it may also be cables out of adjustment...or a plastic water bottle ...forgotten.....
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, roo, slide