Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

Boondocking

I have a2018 fr3 30ds how do I add water to water tank while boondocking
Hdbennjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #2

how do you add water from 'what'? a spigot? a bucket?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #3

Bucket
Old 04-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #4

does your unit have a 'winterize/sanitize' lever or handle in the wet bay?
Old 04-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #5

looks like you should have 'fresh tank fill' which may use your water pump to pull in water from an outside source, such as a bucket, creek, pond, etc. At least that's the only thing that makes sense for that 'label'. The other is 'City Water', which is when you connect to a pressurized water system, like a water spigot.
The other is to use pressurized water to help wash out your black tank.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #6

No my unit has aregular hose attachment in the wet bay for the fresh water refill.I have discovered that it requires pressure to add water. Would a portable water pump wrk to transfer water from water juggs
Old 04-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdbennjr View Post
I have a2018 fr3 30ds how do I add water to water tank while boondocking
Is there some reason why you didn't fill the freshwater tank at home? Most of us would do exactly that!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #8

I was dry camping and had exhausted my water supply the rig was full upon my arrival
Old 04-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #9

Post a close up picture of the water management panel (aka docking station, wet bay...). There may very well be a way to arrange the valves and use the pump to "power fill" the tank.
LegacyFB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #10

Two of my neighbor's 5th wheel's won't draw water from a bucket from their "water" station. A little bit of water pressure seemed to fix the issue.

Here is what I use:

12 volt marine (water) pump. I got mine form harbor fright but other vendors have the same one. https://www.walmart.com/ip/TruePower...&wl13=&veh=sem

7 gallon aquatainer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QC31G6...a-309679368222

Garden hose quick disconnects: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Qu...FVUpaQodv-MLpg The male quick disconnect is heated with a torque and then screwed into the aquatainer cap. The thread on the quick disconnect does not match the thread on the cap which is for a spigot. Heating the male quick disconnect fitting melts the plastic and allows you to get your own threads and ensure a leak free seal. First time I did this, I forced the quick disconnect on and cross threaded it. The cap eventually split; has been good for years using heat.

Use a white water hoses to feed the pump and run pump output to fill hole or your water "docking" station.

12 volt power sources for pump: At first I used a portable battery jump starter, then I used my ATV cigarette lighter power, and occasionally the 10 amp output from my generator. I now have permanent power in a weather proof aviation plug mounted on my exterior wall next to my fresh water gravity feet hole. Makes the whole power issue a non-issue now.

We also put a little water sanitizer in each water jug. While it does make the water smell and taste bleachy we found it allows us to extend showers two 2 days when boondocking. The bleach does a good job killing body bacteria responsible for body odor. Its no stronger then swimming pool water.

No, we don't drink the water from the camper's FW tanks and only drink pure distilled grain spirits. “Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?” I have this information from a good authority, Brig. General Jack D. Ripper who I served with in the Army.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #11

We have a 30DS, we added (I think) two T valves in the water bay so I can use the winterize hose to suck in the water and backfeed it into the water tank. I think I posted a picture some time in the past, but haven't been able to locate it yet. This way you use the pump you currently have and all in, will only set you back like $10.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Is there some reason why you didn't fill the freshwater tank at home? Most of us would do exactly that!

Why would you say something like that
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #13

TechnoRick had a great post on this, but I can't find it now. I use his system when I sanitize.

At a home center I bought a plastic union, I forget the exact size. One end matches a garden hose and the other screws into the outside shower hose. I just tried the hose end on hoses at the store and I brought the shower head with me to check it's size.

Connect your shower hose to the Fresh Tank Fill using this union. Then on the other side of the camper open up the pump compartment. Turn the valve on the antifreeze and put the hose in your water jug, just like it was antifreeze. Turn on the pump and it will suck the water from your jug into the tank. That's all there is to it.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #14

The thread at this link had another nice discussion on possibilities:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ed-110760.html

I agree with KansasFR3 and my response #28 to the thread above discusses my solution that involved a valve between the output of the pump and the fresh water feed line to the input of the pump.

Tags
boondocking