Old 06-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

?? Brake Controller ??

Doing research to connect toad for first tow trip. I have been told there is a brake controller connector under the dash to connect electric brake controller? For those who tow, what type do you use or recommend?

Also wondering how most verify your tongue weight WHEN you use a car trailer, do you use a gauge like the one below or old school methods?

https://smile.amazon.com/Weigh-Safe-...igh+safe+hitch

BatesMotel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Brake Controller

Ok, here is what I found on e-trailer website:

Question:
Hi, I have a 2018 Forest River FR3 30DS on a Ford chassis F53. What would you recommend for a quality unit that I can just plug in and go? I believe I found the connector under the steering column and want something that I can just plug in maybe with an adapter harness .

asked by: Michael R

Expert Reply:
The brake controller install harness for your 2018 Forest River FR3 30DS on a Ford chassis F53 is the Tekonsha Plug-In Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controllers # 3035-P. This will give you the ability to plug-in and go. Just use the connection you mentioned under the steering column.

This adapter works perfectly with our most quality and efficient unit, the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller # 90195. This proportional brake controller will activate your trailer brakes in a proportion to your vehicle's braking action. It'll automatically adjust your trailer's braking based on the deceleration of the tow vehicle and it activates immediately so there's no pausing like with your time delay brake controllers. It does have an automatic leveling ability because there's an internal sensor on the inside which will detect deceleration even if the controller is not mounted flat.

Still looking for feedback on checking trailer tongue weights...

Old 06-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #3

You should have been given a harness for adding an aftermarket brake controller, check with your dealer. For me, I prefer OEM, price them, I have found them cheaper than aftermarket controllers and you don't need the extra harness.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Prime Member

The Tekonsha P3 is very nice controller. I had one before buying a truck that had a brake controller built in.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

brake

Tekonsha Prodigy. there are pre wired under dash close to steering column.

Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #6

Here's the link for the brake controller I had installed on my 2016 30DS to tow my 2012 Jeep Liberty.
https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...ay-in-play-duo

All I have to do is hook it up, flip a switch, and put the toad transfer case in neutral. easy peasy!! The Stay-IN-Play Duo also has a breakaway cable the locks up the brakes on the toad in the event of a breakaway event.

2016 FR3 30DS w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 65
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #7

P3

Just installed one, best price from RVSupplies. $122.95 Arrived 2 days after ordering.

RVSupplies.com - Search Results for "p3"
denville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #8

Thanks Papaduck

Thanks Ground pounder, LOL! I also served in the Army from 17-20 yrs old before I jumped out of my duce and half and signed up with the Air Force, thanks for your service!

So that demco device is pretty expensive but looks like you need it cause your Jeep Liberty is over 3,000 lbs? I might need one of those or a Brake Buddy in the future if I find a Jeep or other Toad to flat tow, but for now I am pulling a full tilt 18ft car hauler with the wife's Rav4 and a couple kayaks on it!
Appreciate the feedback and recommendation......Hooah!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #9

[QUOTE=BatesMotel2;1844497]Thanks Ground pounder, LOL! I also served in the Army from 17-20 yrs old before I jumped out of my duce and half and signed up with the Air Force, thanks for your service!

Thanks for your Service as well. I went in the Army shortly after high school in '68 and ended up spending just over 20 yrs. Here's to a Great time and Great people!!

2016 FR3 30DS w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 65
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #10

Stay-IN-Play Duo System

I recently had the Stay-IN-Play Duo system installed in my 2013 Buick Enclave to tow behind my Class A motor home. The Camping World technician who installed it and demonstrated the connection of the tow bar, etc. mentioned something about adjusting the Stay-IN-Play Duo braking sensitivity on the switch he installed on the passenger side of the front seat. However, he didn't explain the setting the system. Does anyone have some information on this?

LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller