Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

Brake fluid res level?

So today while completing my front grill screen I checked fluids and found the break fluid res low. Some of these reservoirs like the hydro for the levelers are not supposed to be filled completely.

Looked in the F53 manual and found a notation that the fluid should be "between the marked hi and lo level". But I cant find any markings cuz the res is so far up there. Anybody have any idea?
Should it be filled?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437264883.280850.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	83304

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #2

Sorry I can't help because the reservoir of my 2014 FR3 is different from yours, which is a bit surprising. That said, my correct level is directly on the seam between the upper and lower halves. There just a small arrow pointing to it. It's tough to see, so there's a chance yours has it, too, and you just overlooked it. I tried to take a decent picture, but couldn't get one that showed the arrow well.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #3

I'd say it needs to be within 1/4 inch of the top of the tank.

IMPORTANT RECALL - ALL Ford F53 owners. get a copy of your VIN number, Stop by any Ford dealer and ask them about the cruise control / Brake switch recall.

If your VIN is one of the recalls, they will inspect your master cylinder to make sure you don't have one of the suspect brake switches. They will also install a small wire-harness on that brake switch that has a couple fuses in it to protect the wiring in case that switch shorts internally.

Why am I so vocal abut this recall?:

Two years ago, at 6:30 am in the morning, I am eating a bowl of cereal, and out the kitchen window and notice smoke coming out of our neighbors truck. It had been sitting in his drive for a few days. We go outside to look and now see flames. Another neighbor seen the same thing an we were able to get the hood open, pop the battery connection and put out the fire, but only after it had destroyed the truck

The Cruise brake switch will leak internally, short out, and then start melting the wiring, Once the wiring starts to melt, that's all she wrote, you now have flames and fire with no way to put it out if you cannot get the battery disconnected.

If you have the recall completed, when that switch shorts out internally, it now simply blows the fuse, and your CC won't work.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Once you determine where the level is supposed to be, if it is below that level, you need to have the pads/shoes examined for wear. A low brake fluid level is an indication of worn brake shoes/pads.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Done with this

^^^Yep^^^ Sound advice.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

I concur with oldcoot. If a new vehicle or new brakes start out full, low fluid means a bunch of fluid has moved to the wheel cylinders as the pads have wore. Never just add fluid unless you know why.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

maybe use a mirror to look on the other side of the reservior, low fluid indicates a leak or break pad wear either needs to be checked out, if it is to low the break light should come on the dash
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #8

Everything Oldcoot said.. :-)

Make sure its topped off immediately after new pads installed.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:29 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Everything Oldcoot said.. :-)

Make sure its topped off immediately after new pads installed.
If new pads are installed, it shouldn't need any additional fluid due to the fact the pucks will be shoved back into the cylinder. But the fluid level should definitely be checked.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
I'd say it needs to be within 1/4 inch of the top of the tank.

IMPORTANT RECALL - ALL Ford F53 owners. get a copy of your VIN number, Stop by any Ford dealer and ask them about the cruise control / Brake switch recall.

If your VIN is one of the recalls, they will inspect your master cylinder to make sure you don't have one of the suspect brake switches. They will also install a small wire-harness on that brake switch that has a couple fuses in it to protect the wiring in case that switch shorts internally.

Why am I so vocal abut this recall?:

Two years ago, at 6:30 am in the morning, I am eating a bowl of cereal, and out the kitchen window and notice smoke coming out of our neighbors truck. It had been sitting in his drive for a few days. We go outside to look and now see flames. Another neighbor seen the same thing an we were able to get the hood open, pop the battery connection and put out the fire, but only after it had destroyed the truck

The Cruise brake switch will leak internally, short out, and then start melting the wiring, Once the wiring starts to melt, that's all she wrote, you now have flames and fire with no way to put it out if you cannot get the battery disconnected.

If you have the recall completed, when that switch shorts out internally, it now simply blows the fuse, and your CC won't work.
This should have it own post title. BTW my 2014 FR3 30DS has a 2013 F53 chassis.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #11

Update. The low break fluid in my 2014 FR3 was due to a leaking right rear caliper boot. With less than 5000 miles on my coach I was told by Ford truck service that's it's not uncommon for new Ford Mopar calipers to fail within this period.

Leaving tomorrow for Sturgis, Yellowstone and Gillette Wy.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

Mopar be Fiat/Chrysler, not Ford. Caliper boots don't hold brake fluid. They just keep the grit out. Sure sounds like you have been handed a "pile".
Old 07-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #13

Well what ever they did boot or not they fixed it under warranty. The exact quote was "your caliper was leaking around the boot. This has been a common problem".
Old 07-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #14

If you register your ford vin number with ford.com, you will automatically be informed of any recalls or field service actions.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #15

Thanks Barnes.
Good tip. I registered both the FR3 and the F150

2014 FR330 DS

Tags
brake