Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #1

Brand New 2016 Leaks

We checked on our brand new 2016 30DS (took delivery 10/27 and never been used) this weekend to take it out for a ride.

Things looked perfectly fine when we got started, but as we moved off the lot, about a quart of water came out of the air conditioner on to the table and floor. We had some heavy rain a week ago and it must have pooled up somewhere and found its way out.

As we drove even more came out.

My dealer, Campers Inn of Philadelphia, has not been too responsive.

Why does this have to be so hard? Is it too much to ask that something brand new not have a major leak? I spent a lot of money on this and now I have to chase and pester the people that got my money to make it right.

sigh,,,,,,,

Jo
Urban_FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #2

Welcome to the RV world, I believe that most folks find this to be one of the most aggravating thing with RV Dealers and some manufactures. Disgusting that they are so nice and responsive until they get your money! Then it is bye-bye -birdie. Good luck, you might want to call the forest river, they maybe of some assistance. Worth a try. Hope you get it fixed soon.
Crew/6.5 Bed
Pullrite Superglide
Duramax/Allison
Busybeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #3

Urban FR3 we had the same problem with our New 2015 28DS. We did find that our auto levelers needed to be recalibrated and we are hoping this was contributing to the leak. Unfortunately after we had this done just when the cooler weather was upon us so we have to wait now till next spring. Yes it was enough water where we needed a medium size wash bucket. Disheartening to say the least.........
dogpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:51 AM   #4

I had the same problem on my 2016 30DS after it rained,and they had to replace the complete A/C unit.
jimcarterhb1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #5

warranty work

I was told that the person that covers the warranty work is supposed to call me today - we'll see.
Urban_FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #6

My guess is that a bolt was cross threaded during installation- one of the 4 main bolts that pull the inside and outside units together to sandwich the roof. I suspect that the folks installing these use drills with the clutch in a certain position and they hit it until it slips and move on. If they cross thread one, the clutch will slip indicating it is tight, but it won't have pulled down the gasket and formed the seal. This is precisely what happened on one of mine that began leaking.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #7

Or, it could be that the slope of the roof dips down at the AC,and instead of shedding water, it pools into the AC, then when the unit gets moved, the water in the condensate pan sloshes into your living room!
If you want to check the slope of the roof, take a few marbles up on the roof and let them roll to the low spots. This will tell you where the low spots are and where water might come through.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Or, it could be that the slope of the roof dips down at the AC,and instead of shedding water, it pools into the AC, then when the unit gets moved, the water in the condensate pan sloshes into your living room!
If you want to check the slope of the roof, take a few marbles up on the roof and let them roll to the low spots. This will tell you where the low spots are and where water might come through.
Never seen this before. The gasket is close to 1" thick, so you'd have to have a major "dip" before water would stand enough to enter the pan. Considering all campers produced now to my knowledge have a curved roof, the "dip" would actually likely have to be several inches down at the center point.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #9

Take AC cover offand check drainage holes in bottom tray....plugged with caulking????????
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I also found camper Inn dealer here to be slow doing warranty work. I finally called corporate and got them jacked up. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #11

Go to another fr dealer that services your brand.....it may be inconveniant but alot of dealers are useless.....and call fr....and last of all ,the internet is a very powerful tool if your having trouble with a dealer...let the world know so they don't make the same mistake...

Tags
leak