Old 12-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
KMA

Broken Anti-sway bar bracket, CHF, and poly Bushings?

Ok, while doing some research about the CHF...I read many posts about people finding their rear sway bar bracket broken, missing bolts, torn bushings on their newer F53 chassis.
So I went underneath of my 2014 FR3 30DS (2013 Chassis) and found exact same problem that everyone was complaining about.
Passenger side anti sway bar bracket was missing bottom bolt and bushings were completely out.

Should be easy fix but now I have make sure to check on the brackets before trips.
I'm going to do CHF as soon as I get the bracket from FORD. Can anybody tell me if 2013 F53 has poly or rubber bushings? They are black so I thought they were rubber but I've read a post about FORD is now using poly bushings 2011 and above?

If they are rubber, where can I get poly bushings? Seems like they are only available 97-2011 chassis. Can they be used on 2013?

Click image for larger version

Name:	201512.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	96238

Old 12-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #2

I don't believe they're poly from the factory. They were pretty flexible when I was under there and poly is very firm.

I would have to double check with a caliper to verify the diameter, but this site says they're 1.5". And I think most have gotten them through ebay as the cheapest source.

Double check your bracket isn't bent. Mine was, and I was also missing the welded nut on the backside of the bracket.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/stor...product_id=719

Old 12-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Former Full Timer

Ford is aware of this and it is under warranty. Your pic is good quality and it appears the swedged nut is a gonner as well. When I installed the rear track bar the bolts were replaced with longer ones to accomodate the spacer on the passenger side. This year I checked it before my summer adventure and it was loose. The loctite is coming out this year.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
KMA

Thanks for the info. I'll contact my local Ford dealer. The bracket seems bent. I'll ask them to use red loctite (or blue?) when they work on it.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #5

Mine came completely out on the passenger side and almost lost the drivers side as well.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #6

Neither nut was welded.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

Its been a while, but I think I used blue with a lockwasher.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #8

FYI, never use lock washers with hardened bolts. It can cause the head of the bolt to break off. Lots of articles on web, but in the machine tool world this is a common known no-no..

Brian
Old 12-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1barnes View Post
FYI, never use lock washers with hardened bolts. It can cause the head of the bolt to break off. Lots of articles on web, but in the machine tool world this is a common known no-no..

Brian
This is not true in any aspect. Lock washers, lock nuts, pinch nuts will not break the head of a bolt off. Over tightening will do this. Heavy equipment mechanic for 15 years and never have heard this
Old 12-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #10

Ford must use the these on all their chassis. My 2015 Georgetown 364TS has the same sway bar and it too broke just like yours. Ford fixed it for free, but I had to drive an hour and a half to get them to put in a new bolt. If I were to have a worse problem later on at least it is now on record that it broke,

Tags
sway