Old 11-06-2017, 04:13 PM   #1

Bunk above cockpit

We have a 2016 FR3. Whenever we hit a bump, the bunk above our cockpit falls down. Anyone else have this problem and what can we do to keep it from doing that?

ShelleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #2

The magnets have to be a little loose to allow for bumps.

welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
FR3

Ours did that( 2015 30DS), another thread suggested dowel posts with crutch type tips. I stained them to match and used black tips. It works great when traveling and easy to store when stopped. Sorry no pic.
Leerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #4

The dowels work very well, you can purchase everything you need from Home Depot even the rubber covers for the end of the dowels
Edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
Curiouser and Curiouser

X3 for the dowel and crutch tip. We tried the magnets every which way and still the bed dropped until we went with the dowel method. We have put 12,000 miles on now without a problem. We went with a one inch dowel which has done the job very nicely but one a little smaller would work fine too. If you accidentally cut the dowel a little short, you can add length by adding quarters to the inside of the crutch tip. You want it to firmly fit so that it doesn't fall out when driving.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #6

I don't understand why some FR3 bunks fail while others, like mine, work fine. Magnet quality? Unlikely, because the casting slurries are made from huge batches, a 'weak' batch would kill a company, even in Asia. Maybe the metal cups that the magnets sit in are warped or dinged, the rims of the cup that contact the bunk need to be totally flat. Or perhaps the paint on bunk has a run or bead on it which would prevent the magnet cup from contacting all around. Just wondering, I worked in QC in the industry many years ago.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
edm

We have a 2016 fr3 30ds we purchased in June of 2015. That said i adjusted the top bunk magnets so they are s little loose on the screw that holds them. the screw was backed out about 1 turn. this allows the magnets to make a complete contact on the metal frame of the bunk. We now have 26000 miles on the rig and the bunk no longer falls down. hope this helps.
Happy camping and safe travels.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
LBJ

I hate to jinks this, so knock on wood, but we haven't had any issues with the bunk falling. The magnets are loose and it always takes quite a bit of force to pull it down.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #9

Dowels are amazing..

Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk