Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #1

Smile Camera Upgrade

Hello, New Here. We have a new 2017 FR3 32DS and I did not like the camera set up. I called the factory and complained that the back camera was slow to return to the screen after the turn signal was cancelled after completing the turn. They said it was caused by a bad camera multiplexer. They sent another & I swapped it out. Problem still there.

So I purchased a PYLE Brand 7" color monitor from Amazon ($34 dollars) and fed the signal wire from the rear camera into the old multiplexer, UI connected the output RCA wire to the PYLE monitor. I connected the old multiplexer 12 volt power to the same power wires feeding the new multiplexer.

Now I always have the rear camera view in my new PYLE 7" monitor (which is supplied with an adjustable stand. I placed Velcro on the base of the stand and on the dash (to the right of the steering wheel)

Now when I flip the turn signal , I see the video feed from a side camera in the small 4.5" Pioneer radio screen and also always have a view of the rear camera on the new larger 7" PYLE monitor.

For $34 dollars and 1 hour labor we have a great camera set up.

Trying to post picture here of the new monitor, but not sure if I know what I am doing.

Bob
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Bob View Post
Hello, New Here. We have a new 2017 FR3 32DS and I did not like the camera set up. I called the factory and complained that the back camera was slow to return to the screen after the turn signal was cancelled after completing the turn. They said it was caused by a bad camera multiplexer. They sent another & I swapped it out. Problem still there.

So I purchased a PYLE Brand 7" color monitor from Amazon ($34 dollars) and fed the signal wire from the rear camera into the old multiplexer, UI connected the output RCA wire to the PYLE monitor. I connected the old multiplexer 12 volt power to the same power wires feeding the new multiplexer.

Now I always have the rear camera view in my new PYLE 7" monitor (which is supplied with an adjustable stand. I placed Velcro on the base of the stand and on the dash (to the right of the steering wheel)

Now when I flip the turn signal , I see the video feed from a side camera in the small 4.5" Pioneer radio screen and also always have a view of the rear camera on the new larger 7" PYLE monitor.

Trying to post picture here of the new monitor, but not sure if I know what I am doing.

Bob

Good to know! I've been thinking of doing this as well, i hate having to choose between a constant rear camera view and the radio. Plus having the rear camera take so long to return after a turn signal is very annoying. I was thinking of going a bit bigger on the monitor and doing all 3 displays at once. But I might keep it simple like you. TBH the blinker cameras are pretty useless since you have to look down away from the road to use it.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:

Bob
Out of curiosity, how long does it take for the camera to return to rear view after cancelling turn signal?

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #4

Smile Camera Upgrade multiplexer info

The part # for the multiplexer is RVS-501N and cost is $39.95
& can be purchased from www.rearviewsafety.com

The monitor is 7" and has a base and remote control. (for about 35 dollars plus shipping. I ordered it from Amazon. Here is the information about the monitor I copied from the Amazon web page.....

https://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Porta...productDetails
7” inch TFT LCD Car Monitor, Portable Backlight Digital Car Rear View Monitor for Backup Camera,Support 800x480,1024x768 Pixels,16:9/4:3,NTSC/PAL,with Remote controller and Stand Bracket
Old 05-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Out of curiosity, how long does it take for the camera to return to rear view after cancelling turn signal?
I would say at least 3-5 seconds by time it turns off the side, shows the radio screen, then goes back to the rear view.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxie89 View Post
I would say at least 3-5 seconds by time it turns off the side, shows the radio screen, then goes back to the rear view.
3-5 seconds is normal.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
3-5 seconds is normal.
Might be normal but it is still a long time.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #8

Rear camera ON FR3 32DS

After working on the rv very late last night, I backed It out of my shop and looked at my new monitor . The picture was not very good, and I decided that the rear camera doesn't do well in the dark. I plan on purchasing a new higher quality camera suited for day and night vision from Amazon. I just need to know how to pull out the old camera to check what type of wiring it has to order a new camera with compatible wining connections.

Has anyone ever had their rear view camera out of its mounting hole ?

Bob
Old 05-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #9

KB, I have the a 2016 32DS and don't like the lag-time either. Planning on making all 3 cameras visible all the time. When you disconnected the backup was it plugged into a silver box thing under the dash? I agree the back camera is basically useless at night.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #10

Camera

Hello,
Yes, I plugged it into a separate multiplexer ( silver box) but you can get an adapter from Amazon that will convert from mini din cable from the camera to an RCA PLUG to feed into a new monitor that will accept up to 4 camera inputs. That way you will not need to use the multiplexer at all.

As soon as I can pull out the rear camera and look at the type of connector on it , I will replace it with a camera with a but in I infra red light source to make the rear view near perfect ( at least I hope so) at night.

Kentucky Bob
Old 05-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Hello,
Yes, I plugged it into a separate multiplexer ( silver box) but you can get an adapter from Amazon that will convert from mini din cable from the camera to an RCA PLUG to feed into a new monitor that will accept up to 4 camera inputs. That way you will not need to use the multiplexer at all.

As soon as I can pull out the rear camera and look at the type of connector on it , I will replace it with a camera with a but in I infra red light source to make the rear view near perfect ( at least I hope so) at night.

Kentucky Bob
Do you remember if the mini din cable was male or female?

Tags
upgrade