Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Cargo Carry Capacity?

Hi all - the wife and I are strongly considering a 2019 FR3 30DS. We've been researching and viewing for over a year and feel like the 30DS checks the most boxes (including price). We're not new to RV'ing, and are downsizing from a 39' diesel pusher. Looking for something much smaller and more manageable.

Anyway, I am trying to understand the right way to think about cargo carrying capacity and total carrying capacity and I just can't get the numbers to make sense.

For example, this FR3.

Front axle max: 7,000
Rear axle max: 12,000
Total combined Axle capacity is 19,000lbs
GVWR is only 18,000lbs (probably the missing 1,000 pounds is buffer for loading and balance)

Here is where things get weird.
The RV dry weight based on the weight sticker is 15,653, so that should leave 2,347 pounds (18,000 - 15,653 = 2,347)
That is under the FR "brochure CCC" of 2,530, but this unit has some options, a second air conditioner, etc so not totally surprising it might be a little heavier and thus have a slightly lower CCC than the brochure.

However, the yellow wall sticker in the RV itself says Cargo Carry Capacity is listed at only 1,170 pounds!!!! Now, they assume a full freshwater system which adds 482 pounds, but that still is only 1,652 cargo capacity pounds. Way short of the calculated 2,347 pounds. What gives? Where are the missing 695 pounds?

Are they automatically deducting for the estimated passengers and the limit that is left is purely for cargo?

I have read that manufacturers subtract 154 pounds per sleeping occupant, but FR mentioned nothing about whether occupants are - or are NOT - counted in the overall CCC. If FR has already subtracted for occupants, it has basically allowed for 4.5 occupants. If I round a bit, perhaps they counted for 4 people? If not, a carry capacity of 1,170 pounds before passengers is totally inadequate. If they are assuming 1,170 pounds are still available after the weight of 4-5 occupants, it is a lot better (not great, but acceptable).

Anybody know the right way to calculate this? I asked two different salesmen and both were clueless and both made up different answers mostly along the lines of "don't worry about it, nobody pays attention to weight."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	189155  
__________________

bryanmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
western NC mountains!
 
formerFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: western NC mountains!
Posts: 1,223
sounds like one is a factory 'dry' weight, and the other is a 'loaded' weight, or typical weight with 2 people, fuel, water, etc. already subtracted to make the 'CCC' an easier calculation for your 'stuff' that you can bring onboard, within the limits.
It may sound like 1,000 to 1,500 lbs is not a 'lot' to be able to bring onboard, but I bet that it actually goes a LONG way toward what 'stuff' you can add - you're not bringing furniture or appliances or heavy items, only clothing, food, etc.

also, the axle weight ratings are from the axle manufacture, but the RV's CHASSIS, from Ford I presume, is the more limiting factor, which is why it is LESS than the axle combined weight ratings.... it's pretty typical to have slightly heavier rated axles than the chassis will actually weigh... you wouldn't want it the other 'weigh' around!
__________________

__________________

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 200w/10amps mobile SOLAR
85,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmsi View Post
I have read that manufacturers subtract 154 pounds per sleeping occupant, but FR mentioned nothing about whether occupants are - or are NOT - counted in the overall CCC. If FR has already subtracted for occupants, it has basically allowed for 4.5 occupants. If I round a bit, perhaps they counted for 4 people? If not, a carry capacity of 1,170 pounds before passengers is totally inadequate. If they are assuming 1,170 pounds are still available after the weight of 4-5 occupants, it is a lot better (not great, but acceptable).
My guess (and it's only a guess ) is that they've accounted for 4+ occupants and you ccc is actually 1,170 pounds. Since you're downsizing your rig, you might have to downsize your possessions.
__________________
Happy Camping!

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Sleuthing

Thanks for the comments. It makes a very big difference if people are included in the totals or not. I'll try to find out from the Factory whether the CCC assumes about 700lbs of passengers or not.

If it is 1,100 before passengers, then after 400 pounds for people, its only 700.

But having had our prior coach weighed empty and loaded, the weight adds up fast. Food, ice, beverages for even a weekend easily top 100lbs. Dishes, glasses, pots, pans, forks, knives, etc. likewise crest 100 pounds. Two folding eBikes is another hundred. Boards for the leveling jacks = 25. Portable air compressor, tools, spare oil and antifreeze gets another hundred. Clothes, beach box, etc. 100 more. (getting 100 pounds of clothes is very easy, as anyone who has flown recently and checked luggage knows).

Now we're at around 100lbs and still need to pack the water hoses, black tank hose, water pressure regulators, 12v tire inflator, laptops, iPads, chargers, binoculars, cameras and lenses, 50amp to 30am adapter, cleaning supplies, etc.

Boom. Fully loaded at 1,100 pounds. And I'd really rather not be at fully loaded. But with another 700lbs to play with? No problem!
bryanmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
AudiDudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Western Montana
Posts: 349
The sticker says that the weight of *occupants* and cargo should not exceed 1654.



What's the UVW?
__________________

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,002
According to the yellow label they already deducted a full fresh water tank from the CCC and are displaying the remaining cargo capacity.


It's a strange way to calculate the water because in the past RV trailer manufacturers have just informed owners that water is cargo.


Looks like Forest River is setting some new standards with your trailer as it has 19.5" wheels and tires. Must have got a real bargain from someone. What brand are they? Some of the brands connected to the ST market are building that size in an all steel design.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15339
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,002
OOPS! Reposted in error.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15339
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rk06382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Palmer, Alaska
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmsi View Post
Hi all - the wife and I are strongly considering a 2019 FR3 30DS. We've been researching and viewing for over a year and feel like the 30DS checks the most boxes (including price). We're not new to RV'ing, and are downsizing from a 39' diesel pusher. Looking for something much smaller and more manageable.

Anyway, I am trying to understand the right way to think about cargo carrying capacity and total carrying capacity and I just can't get the numbers to make sense.

For example, this FR3.

Front axle max: 7,000
Rear axle max: 12,000
Total combined Axle capacity is 19,000lbs
GVWR is only 18,000lbs (probably the missing 1,000 pounds is buffer for loading and balance)

Here is where things get weird.
The RV dry weight based on the weight sticker is 15,653, so that should leave 2,347 pounds (18,000 - 15,653 = 2,347)
That is under the FR "brochure CCC" of 2,530, but this unit has some options, a second air conditioner, etc so not totally surprising it might be a little heavier and thus have a slightly lower CCC than the brochure.

However, the yellow wall sticker in the RV itself says Cargo Carry Capacity is listed at only 1,170 pounds!!!! Now, they assume a full freshwater system which adds 482 pounds, but that still is only 1,652 cargo capacity pounds. Way short of the calculated 2,347 pounds. What gives? Where are the missing 695 pounds?

Are they automatically deducting for the estimated passengers and the limit that is left is purely for cargo?

I have read that manufacturers subtract 154 pounds per sleeping occupant, but FR mentioned nothing about whether occupants are - or are NOT - counted in the overall CCC. If FR has already subtracted for occupants, it has basically allowed for 4.5 occupants. If I round a bit, perhaps they counted for 4 people? If not, a carry capacity of 1,170 pounds before passengers is totally inadequate. If they are assuming 1,170 pounds are still available after the weight of 4-5 occupants, it is a lot better (not great, but acceptable).

Anybody know the right way to calculate this? I asked two different salesmen and both were clueless and both made up different answers mostly along the lines of "don't worry about it, nobody pays attention to weight."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmsi View Post
Thanks for the comments. It makes a very big difference if people are included in the totals or not. I'll try to find out from the Factory whether the CCC assumes about 700lbs of passengers or not.

If it is 1,100 before passengers, then after 400 pounds for people, its only 700.

But having had our prior coach weighed empty and loaded, the weight adds up fast. Food, ice, beverages for even a weekend easily top 100lbs. Dishes, glasses, pots, pans, forks, knives, etc. likewise crest 100 pounds. Two folding eBikes is another hundred. Boards for the leveling jacks = 25. Portable air compressor, tools, spare oil and antifreeze gets another hundred. Clothes, beach box, etc. 100 more. (getting 100 pounds of clothes is very easy, as anyone who has flown recently and checked luggage knows).

Now we're at around 100lbs and still need to pack the water hoses, black tank hose, water pressure regulators, 12v tire inflator, laptops, iPads, chargers, binoculars, cameras and lenses, 50amp to 30am adapter, cleaning supplies, etc.

Boom. Fully loaded at 1,100 pounds. And I'd really rather not be at fully loaded. But with another 700lbs to play with? No problem!
Your number from your sticker are:
1200 lbs > Seating Capacity 8 x 150 lb.
1173 lbs > 532 KG CCC
2373 lbs total

I checked the numbers before I purchased my 28DS. The 30DS is on the same 190" E53 chassis as a 28DS but 2 foot longer behind the rear axle. (31' 10" vs 29' 8")
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR3 28DS seat cap 20170624_171859.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	189204
Seating Capacity 6 x 150 = 900 lbs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR3 28DS cargo wt. 20170624_171953.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	189205

My 28DS started with 900 lbs plus 2321 lbs CCC. I have reduced it some with DIY mods. IE:replaced bathroom & kitchen plastic faucets with metal single handle faucets. Samlex EVO-2212 70 lbs. Copper cables 50 lbs. Porcelain 320 toilet upgrade 30 lbs. Solar panels 150 lbs. Mattress topper 30 lbs. SnapPads 20 lbs. etc.

You are right it all adds up fast. I think that is why FR uses lightweight wood for cabinets & paneling. If they use residential grade cabinets, we would have NO carrying capacity. I have been happy with my FR3 28DS. Just remember to store the heavier cargo in the front storage bays. Try to put lighter things in the rear cargo bay. You don't want to be tail heavy.

p.s. I moved up from a class C on a E450 chassis that only had a 400 lb CCC.
__________________
Robert
2018 FR3 28DS
Samlex EVO-2212 Inverter/Charger | 400ah Battle Born LiFePO4 | Victron BMV-712 & MPPT 100/50 | 600 Watts Renogy Solar | Fan-Tastic Fans | Blue Ox True Center | Dometic 320 | SnapPads
Retired: Alaska Army NG
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:30 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,002
Just maybe the yellow label on the bottom of the pix provided is for trailers and is causing the miscalculations. In any event, I don't think a label for trailers is a proper label for a motorized RV.

By the way, were some of the installed options installed by the dealer? If so they may have to be deducted from the CCC label.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15339
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 371
In trucks, these capacities whatever numbers were based on input from the marketing department, balanced by the accountants and sales personnel.

Remember, in the past payload did not include options like truck beds, tailgates A/C, fuel, people sometimes. Every vehicle was different. There is no standard.

Thus in general meaningless numbers.

The number printed on top as the max gross vehicle weight is the legal number you agreed with the local DMV. Always less than axle ratings.

Notice we engineers were not mentioned!

Take $15 dollars and load your vehicle up and weigh it full of everything you plan to travel with. Find the nearest cat scale and weigh your vehicle.

If less than the posted legal max you are now informed.

The front and rear axle numbers are I believe what the engineers thought were ok, maybe. Got to check the tire ratings also. Another gotcha. Legal thou, is the sticker.

No engineer would sign anything without building some safety margin built in.

The odds of a roadside scale catching violators is minimal. If you have a major accident some ambulance chaser would maybe suspect you of overloading your vehicle. However, that is a slippery slope. Might just get the insurance company an out.

RV manufacturers are a colorful bunch.

Towing specs now have a SAE official spec! However, all manufacturers do not follow it. Confused yet?
__________________

tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cargo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.