Old 04-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

CHF Guide

I had a chance to do the Cheap Handling Fix and documented my experience and created a guide to help anybody in the future. My way of giving back for all of the stuff that I have learned on this forum....thanks

I have this in PDF Format if anyone wants a copy, just PM your email and I will send over

EDIT:
Please do your research before attempting this, if you decide to do this then my guide will help. Also note that some people have added longer links to put in the Bars / links in the "factory" position - meaning that the angle between the bar and the link are in the same position as the factory had it. Others left the same links. Both have logged a lot of miles without issues.

Weldon

Click image for larger version

Name:	CHF_Manual_Page_1.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	75384

Name:	CHF_Manual_Page_2.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	75385

Name:	CHF_Manual_Page_3.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	75386

Name:	CHF_Manual_Page_4.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	75387

Name:	CHF_Manual_Page_5.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	75388

Old 04-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #2

That is awesome, thank you for your professionalism!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

So are we still hearing folks from Ford claiming that doing the CHF will increase the wear on bushings and joints by 10 fold, of has this been since updated?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #4

I have not heard anything about that? I have read where some people put longer links on. A lot of people did not. Both have seemed to logged a lot of miles without issues. when the bushings wear down or if a link bends I will replace with a better quality. I was originally going to install heavier sway bars but this was easier and cheaper. I will do something different if I hear of a problem - I will leave modified for now as they seem almost useless as factory installed.

But thanks about making us aware of the Ford comments. This is the first I have heard about it. Where did you hear about this?

Weldon
Old 04-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
That is awesome, thank you for your professionalism!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
No problem, I hope this helps

Weldon
Old 04-27-2015, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
So are we still hearing folks from Ford claiming that doing the CHF will increase the wear on bushings and joints by 10 fold, of has this been since updated?

Please provide a link where someone is claiming Ford stated that first hand to them or a link to a statement from Ford. I have looked into this mod quite a bit and have never seen anyone say that other than a particular skeptic who posted early in the original CHF thread. I think it is important to stick with documented facts. I am not saying this out of anger or anything, just would like to know who the source is. The extra holes in the sway bar are there for a reason, and I think the originator of the CHF discovered why they are there. I personally think the only issue with the CHF is the length of the chassis-to-sway-bar link as the increased angle of attachment to the sway bar which would increase the load on the bushings and link. This is easily monitored and there are many owners (myself included) with thousands of miles of trouble free experience with the CHF using the stock link.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #7

Weldon
Fantastic job! Thanks for doing this!

2014 FR330 DS
Old 04-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #8

Awesome!! Thank You

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
Old 04-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR3-25DSOwner View Post
Please provide a link where someone is claiming Ford stated that first hand to them or a link to a statement from Ford. I have looked into this mod quite a bit and have never seen anyone say that other than a particular skeptic who posted early in the original CHF thread. I think it is important to stick with documented facts. I am not saying this out of anger or anything, just would like to know who the source is. The extra holes in the sway bar are there for a reason, and I think the originator of the CHF discovered why they are there. I personally think the only issue with the CHF is the length of the chassis-to-sway-bar link as the increased angle of attachment to the sway bar which would increase the load on the bushings and link. This is easily monitored and there are many owners (myself included) with thousands of miles of trouble free experience with the CHF using the stock link.

Thanks.
PLUS ONE!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

CHF Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
PLUS ONE!

Hmmm, I tried to paste the link....won't work. It's in the irv2 forum. In the early pages of the CHF forum. You can easily find it if you search the thread itself. , I was quite interested but then saw a few folks complaining about bushings and links only lasting a short time after. So, I simply stopped reading about it until I saw this on the form.

I did ask Steve Strombough from FR last year if they recommend this? He simply said that altering the vehicle from factory specs is not recommended and could not assure me the warranty would be unaffected.

So that's why I simply asked if this was since updated or proven incorrect.

Think I may just try it anyway.... With 1 addition. I will install the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer also.

Great guide btw!!!!!