Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
bes

CHF rear z bracket removal??

Hey Guys---thanks so much in advance.......Did the front w/ no problem but the rear z bracket does not have the same 4 bolt pattern. I have 3 bolts and where the 4th should be it seems to be a round fastener welded to the z bracket---definitely not a nut----is this the norm and how did you guys remove this? Barry
bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Yes, sounds the same as mine, There is a stud welded to the "Z" bracket that goes through the torsion bar. Just remove the nut from this stud and the "Z" bracket (and stud) comes out. Flip it and re-mount it in the hole where the Link was at. Don't tighten anything until you get all the bolts and nuts started.

Look at the photos on my site, all the way near the bottom you'll see the rear torsion bar and "Z" brackets.

Cheap Handling Fix – and then some | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 07-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
bes

z bracket removal

I feel like I should put you on retainer---once again thanks for the attention. My stud in in really tight---hesitate to use the rubber mallet. Can I do any damage to the inside of the bushing? Thanks
Old 07-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #4

Put the nut back on the stud and thread it so none of the studs threads are sticking out of the nut, then give it a good wack with a hammer. The nut will keep you from buggering up the threads on the stud.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #5

REMINDER - While your under there look very carefully at the bolts / nuts and the clamp that secure the torsion bar bushings to the axle. (Yours may look different than mine). (rear axle)

There are a lot of reports of these coming out, loosening up, breaking, missing, etc. Make this one of the items you look at before / after every trip. This seems to be the newer style that are having the problems (mine is the older style)
Old 07-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
bes

Z brackets

Thanks for the help 21----Will use the gentle hammer and do lots of checking. If you ever need anything in my part of the country Just shout.

Barry