Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

Choosing between two replacement rigs. FR3 and a class C.

One of the new RV's we are looking at are some Sunseeker 3010's and 3050's and the other is the FR3 3050 DS which we have seen and camped in.

Quick question.

Sellers of the sunseeker seem to tout the fiberglass top over the rubber ones. Is it hype or legit?

I do not want to start a Class C vs Class A, but we have checked out a lot of rigs and we have basically come down to these choices.

They both meet our needs perfectly and we have been looking for people with each to see how they like/dislike their rigs.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

I am posting this here and in the Sunseeker area for a wider variety of thoughts.

Thanks

Chuck and Katie
katielee31313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #2

Choosing between two replacement rigs. FR3 and a class C.

I have a class A 2018 FR3 32 DS I have rented the class c sun seeker almost identical including the bunk beds.
The differences between them were
The class A front seats spin to create a larger living room area
The class A had a much better/tighter turning radius
The C had much more headroom for the bunk over the cab. You could almost sit up on the bed.
The ride was about the same.
The doors on the C cab are handy.
You sit higher up in the A (which I prefer)
The newer FR3 has fiberglass top as well
King bed class A I think the C was a queen
The FR3 does not come with a inverter our c we rented did.

Ended up with the A bit liked both for different reasons...
Ken
Old 11-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #3

Thanks

We actually liked some of the same things between the two. The salespersons never mentioned that the FR3 had a fiberglass roof. Is it better or easier to maintain.

My wife actually likes the driving characteristics of the class C. Not that I think she is going to be driving that much.

We actually wanted a full queen as we left it would give us more leg room moving around the bed. We discussed it again tonight and watched some video reviews, and there really does not seem to be that much difference.

Thanks for your input.

chuck AND katie
Old 11-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielee31313 View Post
One of the new RV's we are looking at are some Sunseeker 3010's and 3050's and the other is the FR3 3050 DS which we have seen and camped in.

Quick question.

Sellers of the sunseeker seem to tout the fiberglass top over the rubber ones. Is it hype or legit?

I do not want to start a Class C vs Class A, but we have checked out a lot of rigs and we have basically come down to these choices.

They both meet our needs perfectly and we have been looking for people with each to see how they like/dislike their rigs.

I am posting this here and in the Sunseeker area for a wider variety of thoughts.

Thanks

Chuck and Katie
We moved from a Class C to our FR3 28DS because we loved the large front window. We love panoramic view as we drive down the road. My wife loves that the passenger seat has more leg room. The floor is even between the drivers and the back. More storage below in the side compartments.

We went through the numbers before we chose our FR3 28DS.

Numbers below:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunseeker vs FR3.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	190937
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #5

The other real benefit of the FR3s with the X package - which pretty much all have now I believe- is that upgraded Onan 5.5kw generator and the dual A/C units. If you are planning on camping in the summer months in the US, especially in the south/west - you'll really appreciate the dual ACs and the higher capacity generator. Our 2018 FR3 30DS does indeed have a fiberglass roof - I believe most produced in 2018 did and I believe it is the only option on 2019s.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #6

Our last coach was a Sprinter B class. We went looking for a C-Class and ended up with a Fr3 28DS which is 30' long A-Class. While I loved some of the C-Class's the issue with many of them was the bed was higher and the front seats you had to step down.There was more room also in the A-class when the slides were out. Our bath has the shower on one side and the toilet on the other.This is important if you have kids. Most C-Class they are in the same room. The Floor on our FR3 is one level and the bed is a standard height King.Most of the C-Class's we looked at had a bolster you had to put is the front seats if you turned them back around to face the back of the coach. The other thing I noticed was I could get into an A-Class for the same price as a C-Class. We are an older couple and the bed height and the step-down in the front were really the main considerations. I also forgot to mention you will have twice the amount of storage in an A-Class.The newer coaches have a full fiberglass roof. Big deal for us.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

Thanks to all who responded.

I am out camping for a bit and am on a cell phone. When they start making these screens so danged small

We went RV window shopping today and stopped at a Winnebago dealer. Learned another reason I like Forest River

katielee
Old 11-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #8

A fiberglass roof. That must be a relatively new idea.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:

Quick question.

Thanks

Chuck and Katie
Owned a class c 23' Adventurer which was a nice unit. Now have a 2017 FR3 28DS. The pros and cons of each are way to numerous to list but overall both wife and I would take class A FR3 over Class C. some of the points have been mentioned already such as seats in FR3 turn around adding a great deal more space. I will list a few things worth mentioning.

-Fuel economy about the same. although FR3 has newer 3 valve engine and six speed trans.
-Noise level probably a little less in FR3 .
-FR3 has king bed (big item for us). A little difficult to maneuver around edges but I just roll out over the end.
-Lots of storage in FR3
-FR3 not as easy to handle, feel trucks and wind push you around a bit more but I fixed that with added rear stabilizer and heavier front stabilizer (e-trailer.com). Drives effortlessly now. Still want to install Sumo Springs.

We get a lot of people commenting on our FR3, say it is a perfect size etc. Well now, after talking about it I really want to start heading south soon but have to wait till after x-mas (six grandkids) -10 Celsius today, 15 F. Maybe I will put some heat to unit and go out and pretend camp.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #10

Almost forgot, The FR3 has the front bunk that comes down (motorized), this is a space saver for sure but not comfortable to sleep in, not much headroom. I see a lot of owners removing the front hinged part of the bed and making it a storage area. Not really a big deal for us as any guests are usually the grandkids but I wouldn't want to sleep up there for an extended period. The fold out couch and table are not very comfortable either.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #11

Upper Bunk

I suppose it's all a matter of opinion, but our 18 year old son loves the upper bunk. He sleeps well there and even hangs out up there to watch movies and chill during the day sometimes. He's not a real big kid (5' 6") and under 150, but he likes it. Our 21 year old sleeps on the pull out - and again, while it isn't as comfortable as a regular mattress, it isn't bad he says. He's a big kid - 225+ and he's been fine there.

I agree on the dinette, maybe grandkids could sleep there, but I've never seen a dinette an adult could truly be comfortable sleeping in an RV.

Best,
Old 11-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #12

Decision Made

Thanks to all who responded. Guess my opinion is a moot issue now. I actually took Katie back to do a final walk through of both and make her choice. We had written down all the points people here made and checked them all against each other.

We were sitting inside the FR3 and she was trying to decide which must have's she was willing to give up. Kitchen counter space (Sunseeker was winner) or storage in the bedroom (FR3 was winner).

As were sitting there, they moved a vehicle sitting next to us and there sat a brand new Winnebago 30 foot Class A. Absolutely beautiful exterior, 3 slides, same size as the two were looking at. We decide to take a break from our decision making and go walk in it even though it was slightly above our budget.

As soon as we got over the exterior paint job and entered the door, it was over.

Massive amounts of storage. Great counter space. Three slideouts. More room than we could have imagined. We were in love.

Bottom line is we go back monday to sign the final paperwork. We left the dealer after discovering storage outside that would make a Greyhound bus jealous. We decided to leave and not sign anything. Did not want to make a rash decision. We spent a day going over the Winnebago pros and cons. Not once did she ever mention the FR3 or the Sunseeker again.

So decision made we went back and made a deal we could live with. Signed an intent to purchase but no contract. Made another trip back looking at it again. They had put a sign on it saying SOLD, please do not enter, and locked the door.

Took one look at it and said "That is our new RV".

So we will be dropping out of the FR forums. It will be a week before they get the rig ready to pick up. We go back one day next week to go through our own detailed inspection and testing and list any issues. Paperwork will be signed then also.

They gave us a fair trade value for our TT and we actually will miss it.

Thanks for all the help from all the fantastic members in this forum.

katielee
Old 11-10-2018, 06:12 AM   #13

Quote:

So we will be dropping out of the FR forums. It will be a week before they get the rig ready to pick up. We go back one day next week to go through our own detailed inspection and testing and list any issues. Paperwork will be signed then also.

katielee
Congratulations on your choice! I hope you have many happy years camping in your new Winnebago.

I know RV shopping can be exhausting. We walked inside of many different Motorhomes for over a year before we put our deposit down on our FR3 28DS. Many times my wife wanted to give up.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #14

We have owned both Class As and Class Cs over the years and most recently a Sunseeker 2500TS that is 27' bumper to bumper. We chose the 2500TS because it fit our needs, but mostly because DW felt more comfortable driving the Class C.

But my preference would be a Class A. There is much more usable space in the cab area. The Ford F450 cab is crowded both when driving and usable space when parked. That's the typical difference between styles in any brand. Then, there is considerable motor noise in the Class C to contend with. And, when opening the cab doors in the rain, water has a tendency to get the inside of the doors wet.

We had the 2500TS for two years before giving up camping. The one (and only) problem we had with it was a spongy floor. When I got the floor blueprints from the factory, I could see why. The underside of the floor is a very thin sheet of fiberglass weatherproofing. The top (walking surface) is vinyl over 3/8" OSB. Sandwiched between the top and bottom layers is an aluminum box tube framework 1 inch high x 1.5 inches wide and the space between the framing is filled with 1" thick sheet Styrofoam. The aluminum tube walls are .040 thick. Three thicknesses of an aluminum beverage can is .045". The Styrofoam is of the type that compresses. The frame members were spaced far enough apart to cause flexing, compression of the foam and a squeaky floor as a result. The factory does not cover floor squeaks caused by a spongy floor.

The one other consideration is cargo capacity. We were fine with our 2500TS, but others with the larger units have complained about the units being near their GVW weight limits empty.

I considered staying mute on this one, but I also feel that you should get the pluses and minuses before taking the expensive leap. Have you considered a Super C?
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #15

Our first Class A was a Winnebago. Believe it was a 1972. It was a great camper back then and they have made a lot of improvements since. Our daughter was just born and we took my folks on a fishing trip. Our daughter's bassinette was up front on the passenger seat.

We had severe hail damage on that trip and we drove it to the factory in Iowa to get it reskinned. They treated us very well and did a great job.

Sounds like you have found your new home. ENJOY!!
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Owned a class c 23' Adventurer which was a nice unit. Now have a 2017 FR3 28DS. The pros and cons of each are way to numerous to list but overall both wife and I would take class A FR3 over Class C. some of the points have been mentioned already such as seats in FR3 turn around adding a great deal more space. I will list a few things worth mentioning.

-Fuel economy about the same. although FR3 has newer 3 valve engine and six speed trans.
-Noise level probably a little less in FR3 .
-FR3 has king bed (big item for us). A little difficult to maneuver around edges but I just roll out over the end.
-Lots of storage in FR3
-FR3 not as easy to handle, feel trucks and wind push you around a bit more but I fixed that with added rear stabilizer and heavier front stabilizer (e-trailer.com). Drives effortlessly now. Still want to install Sumo Springs.

We get a lot of people commenting on our FR3, say it is a perfect size etc. Well now, after talking about it I really want to start heading south soon but have to wait till after x-mas (six grandkids) -10 Celsius today, 15 F. Maybe I will put some heat to unit and go out and pretend camp.
Can you please post or PM me the links to the stabilizers you installed? I looked on etrailer but I'll be honest I am not sure I know what to look for specifically. TIA!
borismkogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by borismkogan View Post
Can you please post or PM me the links to the stabilizers you installed? I looked on etrailer but I'll be honest I am not sure I know what to look for specifically. TIA!
OOPs, don't know what I was thinking. Not stabilizers they are sway bars. The front sway bar is replaced with a thicker diameter and the rear sway bar is an additional one to the factory install. I also added a reflex steering stabilizer which is basically a shock absorber added to tie rod which really helps with steering.

Steering stabilizer is not nearly as expensive as sway bars and a lot of folks are installing a steering stabilizer and doing the what is called the CHP ( cheap home fix ) to the factory installed front and rear sway bars. You just need to go onto search engine on this forum and type in chp and you will get a ton of info on this subject. Very easy project.

I personally did not do the CHP for reasons of my own and as is mentioned on some of the threads.

I am towing a car (flat tow) and do notice a bit of tail wagging especially braking when going down hill so I am going to install a rear track bar before heading south this year. Keep snooping around e-trailer, they have some interesting articles on RV suspensions. Also I am finding Amazon to have some of the best prices for this stuff.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
OOPs, don't know what I was thinking. Not stabilizers they are sway bars. The front sway bar is replaced with a thicker diameter and the rear sway bar is an additional one to the factory install. I also added a reflex steering stabilizer which is basically a shock absorber added to tie rod which really helps with steering.

Steering stabilizer is not nearly as expensive as sway bars and a lot of folks are installing a steering stabilizer and doing the what is called the CHP ( cheap home fix ) to the factory installed front and rear sway bars. You just need to go onto search engine on this forum and type in chp and you will get a ton of info on this subject. Very easy project.

I personally did not do the CHP for reasons of my own and as is mentioned on some of the threads.

I am towing a car (flat tow) and do notice a bit of tail wagging especially braking when going down hill so I am going to install a rear track bar before heading south this year. Keep snooping around e-trailer, they have some interesting articles on RV suspensions. Also I am finding Amazon to have some of the best prices for this stuff.

Very helpful! Thanks a ton!
borismkogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by borismkogan View Post
Very helpful! Thanks a ton!
I have a Blue Ox True Center Steering stabilizer. I can recenter it in a crosswind with a push of a button. Like have a cruise control button for steering.

I did not get a trac bar because I only have a 28DS.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #20
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:

So decision made we went back and made a deal we could live with. Signed an intent to purchase but no contract. Made another trip back looking at it again. They had put a sign on it saying SOLD, please do not enter, and locked the door.

Took one look at it and said "That is our new RV".

katielee
There is no reason to leave the FR forum as most RV are pretty similar in construction and appliances and have like issues. You just be known as a SOB(some other brand) So stick around and enjoy. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, fr3, replacement