Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
bes

Clogged water line to toilet---AGAIN

Hey Guys........This is the 4th time I have had to pull the toilet and clean the sediment from the valve. The 3rd time after examining the sediment it appeared like a mix of congealed antifreeze and debris from the anode rod. This AM it was solid debris that looked like anode. Is this possible? Hot water to the toilet? Does the degrading anode rod contaminate and clog the water lines? Do we need an anode rod? Any input would be appreciated. Barry 2015 FR# 28ds

BTW--I have not been using a water filter since all we do is dishes and shower with the fresh water tank.......But a Camco filter is on it's way.
bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #2

It is possible to pull stuff from the water heater tank into the cold water line depending on the set up. It could happen when you draining from the low water drain. Again, it just depends on how the plumbing lines are run. I know with mine, the cold water line coming into the heater is "uphill" from the heater so other than some water being siphoned it would not happen, but I guess it could.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
RetAF7393

I had same type of issue my first outings, not sure what caused it. Could of been from manufacturing, lines did not get flushed completely. I used the blue in line filters that helped some. Finally I went to home depot and used their house filters, fitted water hose connectors to their filter holder, been doing good since.
[ATTACH]138831[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1495567745350.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	618.3 KB
ID:	138831  
Old 07-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #4

You are not alone. There have been prior discussions about this issue. I have had to unclog the toilet line as well. I'm back here today looking for the old threads. I want to now install an inline filter somewhere rather than having to undo the toilet each time. Some will argue the crap (not that kind) is coming from the fresh water tank as left over debris (it's NOT plastic material clogging up the line). I disagree and know it is coming from the anode rod via a back flush of some sort. I'll see if I can find the prior thread(s).
Old 07-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
bes

My issue was because my crossover valve for winterizing was left open causing hot and cold water to mix. Our hot temp was just warm, and anode debris was floating throughout the entire plumbing system. There is a thread about the proper valve positions somewhere. That solved my problem.....Barry
bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #6

Anode Rod

You are supposed to change out the anode rod every six months to keep this from happening. I had this issue the first year i had the rv and the service guys told me to change every six months. I have been doing that and have never added a water filter and have never had the issue again.
punkutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkutsu View Post
You are supposed to change out the anode rod every six months to keep this from happening. I had this issue the first year i had the rv and the service guys told me to change every six months. I have been doing that and have never added a water filter and have never had the issue again.
Sorry but the more you change it the More "Debris" supply will be available from Each A-Rod! Youroo!!
Old 07-08-2017, 05:43 AM   #8
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkutsu View Post
We just traded off a five-year old Columbus and I never changed the anode rod. I'd take it out each time I winterized it (could be as many as four or five times a year since we use it EVERY month). Then I'd wipe it down good with a dry rag to get any loose debris off of it, then put it back in when we were ready to go camping again.

It simply never needed replacing. I've been told by plumbers to only replace an anode rod (home or RV) if it's completely (or pretty well) eaten up. Mine never came anywhere near that point.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #9

I change our anode rod out more often than every 6 months. We have very hard water here. Admittedly, I didn't know/do that when we first got the FR3, but I do now. The problem continues.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #10

I just installed a filter screen on the blue cold line going into the water heater on our 2015 FR3. I'm hoping if the backflow issue is the culprit, this addition will catch the sludge plugging up the toilet fresh water inlet. Time will tell. We have very hard water where I live (Palm Springs, CA). Pictures show the anode rode (before and after), some of the calcium that came out of the water heater, the wand I insert into the water heater to help wash it out...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-07-12 011.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	144636   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-12 006.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	144637   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-12 012.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	144638   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-12 014.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	144639   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-12 023.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	592.4 KB
ID:	144640  

PeteAndEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #11

The attached pictures show the before and after cleaning the toilet input line...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-07-12 003.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	144642   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-12 007.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	144643  
Old 09-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #12

Well, well... I believe I may have solved this with the filter I installed above... After a recent 11 day camping trip, I discovered residue in the new filter I installed (shown above). The filter is catching debris coming back out from the COLD water line going into the hot water heater. It's going to be very hard for anyone to convince me the sludge appearing in the toilet's cold fresh water inlet, bathroom/kitchen/shower (cold water) sinks isn't the result of the anode rod flakes that come off and reside in the hot water heater tank. I'm wondering now if I should also install one on the hot water line coming out of the heater to prevent the debris going towards the bathroom/kitchen/shower hot water valves as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-09-24 017.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	152758  
Old 09-29-2017, 12:52 AM   #13
from Cali

I've been thinking about doing something like this. Thanks for sharing your set up.
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAndEd View Post
Well, well... I believe I may have solved this with the filter I installed above... After a recent 11 day camping trip, I discovered residue in the new filter I installed (shown above). The filter is catching debris coming back out from the COLD water line going into the hot water heater. It's going to be very hard for anyone to convince me the sludge appearing in the toilet's cold fresh water inlet, bathroom/kitchen/shower (cold water) sinks isn't the result of the anode rod flakes that come off and reside in the hot water heater tank. I'm wondering now if I should also install one on the hot water line coming out of the heater to prevent the debris going towards the bathroom/kitchen/shower hot water valves as well.
Great Idea! Can you provide more information on the install process and the type of filter, and where purchased. Thanks
Old 09-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Do you regularly drain the low point drains?

It is my belief that those who typically open their low point drains after each camping trip tend to draw the debris out of the water heater and into the lines when doing so. Some of that debris remains trapped in the plumbing and on repressurization, the next thing you know, problems.

If you are one who feels constant draining of the plumbing is necessary, I'd suggest bypassing the water heater before you do, so the debris stays in the tank. You can then remove and flush the tank by way of removing the anode rod/plug.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #16

I cut out a section of the blue PEX fresh water line going into the water heater and installed the two 90 degree brass fittings (purchased at Home Depot). The PEX fittings just snap in to the blue pipe - easy. I ordered the filter from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Brought the filter to Home Depot and matched the silver hose to filter and brass fittings. A little scary cutting into PEX water pipes, but with the snap in connections it is really easy to do. When you install the filter, make sure you have it pointed in the correct direction. Have the filter arrows point away from the blue water heater line so it traps the particles coming back out during back flow.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

It is my belief that those who typically open their low point drains after each camping trip tend to draw the debris out of the water heater and into the lines when doing so. Some of that debris remains trapped in the plumbing and on repressurization, the next thing you know, problems.

If you are one who feels constant draining of the plumbing is necessary, I'd suggest bypassing the water heater before you do, so the debris stays in the tank. You can then remove and flush the tank by way of removing the anode rod/plug.
Mine too. Had the dreaded clog one time and adopted this procedure and no issue since.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

I've never used the low point drains and had these clog issues several times. I have drained the water tank, but not the water in the RV lines via the low point drains.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #19

Quote:
I've never used the low point drains and had these clog issues several times. I have drained the water tank, but not the water in the RV lines via the low point drains.
maybe draining the low points would stop the issue. Maybe.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
maybe draining the low points would stop the issue. Maybe.
Maybe. However, after I installed the filter, I kept watching it for a few days - nothing. Later, after using the RV dry camping for 11 or so days, the junk appeared in the filter. So, something (use of system), is drawing the junk back out of the water heater and which then got trapped in the filter.

Tags
water