Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #1

Coach Batteries

My last RV spoiled me. It had maintenance free batteries...

While prepping for departing for Colorado on the 17th, I turned on the battery switch so I could check the propane gas level. Humm... the battery light was showing "E". I quickly attempted to start the genny, the starter was dragging. 2nd attempt, it started!

I let it run for about an hour and shut it off. About an hour later, I checked the battery again. It was back on "E".

Then it dawned on me. Check the damn batteries. Yep, there is no visible liquid in there.

I go to the store and pick up distilled water and, believe it or not, a snot sucker like you use to clean small children's noses. (all the while kicking myself in the ass for not checking the batteries on a regular basis)

The snot sucker is perfect for putting the water in the battery cells.

I was able to restart the genny and let the batteries charge for a few hours last night. This morning I checked the batteries and they are at 2/3. I will be charging them today, and checking them again tomorrow morning. With my fingers crossed.....

Lesson learned...

If you don't have maintenance free batteries, CHECK THEM SUCKERS!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #2

I really don't want to ruin your day but the battery gauge that you are using is telling you that the voltage of the bank has gone up. This will happen with seriously damaged batteries as well. The problem comes when you try to load them and they may drop quickly under even a small load as you may have lost significant capacity by exposing the plates to air for a while.

time will tell.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
I really don't want to ruin your day but the battery gauge that you are using is telling you that the voltage of the bank has gone up. This will happen with seriously damaged batteries as well. The problem comes when you try to load them and they may drop quickly under even a small load as you may have lost significant capacity by exposing the plates to air for a while.

time will tell.

Yep, we are getting them to indicated full before turning on the fridge to see how it goes. I have already located a local place where I can get replacements.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

Yep, going shopping.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #5

Go Dawgs!
GABulldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #6

Walmart 12 volt deep cycle RV/marine batteries. 24 month no questions asked replacement warranty, $99.97 each. Johnson Controls manufactures their batts.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABulldawg View Post
Go Dawgs!
War Eagle!
Old 11-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
Walmart 12 volt deep cycle RV/marine batteries. 24 month no questions asked replacement warranty, $99.97 each. Johnson Controls manufactures their batts.

Yepper! There are 2 installed in my RV right now.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #9

Thank you OldGunny for your post.

I usually check my 2015 batteries spring and fall and have never needed to fill them up before. But my bottle of distilled water froze and leaked in the garage last winter so I tossed it and, since the batteries have been acting fine all year, it just slipped my mind until I read your post.

Yikes! Both house batteries and the chassis battery were low. I could still see some water over the plates but not much. Hope I caught it in time.

Also remembered to open and close the nuts on the low point drains. The system one came out pink (which is good), the fresh water tank drain one had about a shot glass worth of clear water in it.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries