Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

Coach battery recommendations

Howdy folks! I’m looking for house battery recommendations. 2015 FR3 30DS. Originals lasted just over 2.5 years, we were in the desert for a cold 2017 Thanksgiving trip when discoverd. I found the only 2 replacements in town, 1 at O’Reilly, the other at Autozone. They lasted 1.5 years with their 1 year warranties. We do a bit of cold weather, heater running boondocking, but run the genny daily to recharge the batteries for night. I always checked and filled the water regularly too. They did not cycle that many times so what I’m trying to say is those batteries sucked. Any recommendations for reasonably priced replacements?

Thanks!

Antone
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #2

There are lots of good replacement deep cycles out there. Trojan is the best but may be a little pricey for you. I would replace with 6 volt batteries rather than the 12 volt units that the factory uses.

However, the life that you are experiencing is a little short. My 2015 is still on its original factory 12 volt units. They have a lot less capacity then when new, but still work for boondocking, including a residential reefer. I wonder if you are discharging them a little to deeply. 50% is pretty much the common limit. Do you have an SOC meter or are you trying to figure out battery status using the LEDs or a voltmeter. A good SOC meter is a lot cheaper than shortened battery life.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antone View Post
Howdy folks! I’m looking for house battery recommendations. 2015 FR3 30DS. Originals lasted just over 2.5 years, we were in the desert for a cold 2017 Thanksgiving trip when discoverd. I found the only 2 replacements in town, 1 at O’Reilly, the other at Autozone. They lasted 1.5 years with their 1 year warranties. We do a bit of cold weather, heater running boondocking, but run the genny daily to recharge the batteries for night. I always checked and filled the water regularly too. They did not cycle that many times so what I’m trying to say is those batteries sucked. Any recommendations for reasonably priced replacements?

Thanks!

Antone
I would say Battle Born, but you said reasonably priced.

I think you should start with a battery monitor like a Victron BMV-712. Any boondocking demands that you know your batteries State-of-Charge at all times.

Then you should install some solar panels on the roof. You can get a 30% Tax credit for solar in 2019. 30% Tax credit includes solar, batteries, Labor, etc.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

Coach battery recommendations

Thanks for the input. I am probably discharging them too deeply. We spent quite a few nights in freezing temps with the heater running all night and woke up without enough juice to start the genny, had to plug into small external genny first. I am only relying on the onboard battery life indicator, so I’ll check into a SOC meter. Maybe some solar panels too. I Just checked the Walmart and they have a two year full replacement warranty on a $100 battery (with original receipt). That’s pretty tempting, but cheap ones got me here today. We use our rig monthly, more often with electrical hookups, so is it worthwhile to pull them out and put them on a trickle charger?
Old 06-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #5

Measure for clearance. Costco gc2 batteries have a small footprint but, are taller.

Put the greatest number in there you can. We have four.

However, the first step is a battery monitor. You likely did yours in by overuse.

I installed the Battery Monitor two, $40 on Amazon. Transmits to your phone via blootooth. Also keeps records so you can monitor the system from your favorite chair
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #6

Your converter should be fine to get them to 100%. However, it takes at least 24 hours and more often 48 if they are discharged.

With a good SOC meter you will be able to watch charge current and SOC at all times. Much better than running blind.

2015 335DS
Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I am probably discharging them too deeply. We spent quite a few nights in freezing temps with the heater running all night and woke up without enough juice to start the genny, had to plug into small external genny first. I am only relying on the onboard battery life indicator, so I’ll check into a SOC meter. Maybe some solar panels too. I Just checked the Walmart and they have a two year full replacement warranty on a $100 battery (with original receipt). That’s pretty tempting, but cheap ones got me here today. We use our rig monthly, more often with electrical hookups, so is it worthwhile to pull them out and put them on a trickle charger?

Those are the batteries I’m running in my 2013 Antone. Going on 4 years with them with no trouble. I’m like you, I use only the onboard indicator for a general idea of where they are at. I never dry camp though.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #8

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
Those are the batteries I’m running in my 2013 Antone. Going on 4 years with them with no trouble. I’m like you, I use only the onboard indicator for a general idea of where they are at. I never dry camp though.

Can you tell me what the “Group” number is on yours? The Autozone battery may not be toast, but the O, o, o, O’Reilly is.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Can you tell me what the “Group” number is on yours? The Autozone battery may not be toast, but the O, o, o, O’Reilly is.

Here’s a picture of what I can see of the battery:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	206528
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #11

Oops...I really didn't see that in your post. Two 12 volt batteries in parallel of different manufacturers are destined to result in what you have. One good and the other toast. The toast one is also trying to strangle any life left out of the other.

Not a good idea. One was loafing and the other was carrying the lions share of the load.

2015 335DS
Old 06-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I am probably discharging them too deeply.
The quickest way to kill a lead acid battery is to severely discharge it. Regularly going below 50% charge is bad news, and the only way to accurately know the true state of charge is with a good battery monitor. The little battery indicator on your switch panel is about as reliable as the tank level lights, which in not very.
If you haven't already upgraded the factory converter, that might be a good investment. Progressive Dynamics is a pretty popular choice 'round these parts, and for good reason. They do a safer and more efficient job of charging the house battery when your genny is running. It's a simple wire-for-wire job to swap them out in most installations.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
The quickest way to kill a lead acid battery is to severely discharge it. Regularly going below 50% charge is bad news, and the only way to accurately know the true state of charge is with a good battery monitor. The little battery indicator on your switch panel is about as reliable as the tank level lights, which in not very.

If you haven't already upgraded the factory converter, that might be a good investment. Progressive Dynamics is a pretty popular choice 'round these parts, and for good reason. They do a safer and more efficient job of charging the house battery when your genny is running. It's a simple wire-for-wire job to swap them out in most installations.

Right on. Thanks for the info. I had no idea that was a problem. I really appreciate all the input. My TT battery lasted 8 years, but we never really used and abused it like we do our moho batteries. Explains a lot.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Measure for clearance. Costco gc2 batteries have a small footprint but, are taller.

Put the greatest number in there you can. We have four.

However, the first step is a battery monitor. You likely did yours in by overuse.

I installed the Battery Monitor two, $40 on Amazon. Transmits to your phone via blootooth. Also keeps records so you can monitor the system from your favorite chair

So just one monitor for both batteries if I continue to run two?

Thanks!

Tags
battery