Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #1

Considering buying a new FR3 25 foot

My husband and I have only been shopping for RVs for a few weeks and we lucked onto the FR3 25 without any help from the salesman at our local dealer. It's listed at what seems to be a very good price, but I also suspect that the mfg date is an older one. None of the later additions (shower door instead of curtain, doors to access storage under dinette, LED strip on the slide out) are deal breakers for us.
What we are concerned with is how the V10 performs when the coach is fully loaded, especially going uphill. Does the RV struggle?
Also, how does the king bed become a couch during the day? I'd love to see some pictures of how that looks?
For Phoenix area FR3 owners, did you find a good dealership to work with for sales and service follow ups? And are you happy with the 13500btu for the A/C?
Any other useful information or input would be greatly appreciated.

auntieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #2

I have the FR3 25 built in late October last year. It does have the awning lights and rubber floor in drivers area but not the rest of the of the changes. I have used it on one longer trip and several short ones. This past weekend I used it to take my son and six of his grad students on a wine tasting trip in the Finger Lakes, it worked out very well for that also.

That same engine in used in many motorhomes that are much longer and heavier so I would not be concerned at all about engine power.

The folding king size bed gives you two options because the mattress does not fold in half, rather sort of 40/60 split. Mine came with the shorter section at the foot which was easy to fold over when the slide came it. That is very fast and easy but makes the bed unusable with the mattress doubled up at the end. I turned it around and now it makes a couch when folded, I have also slept on it with the slide in and I am 6'2". But you have to shove it in, fold it over before slide comes in. It is heavy but doable. We fold the top towards us then shove the whole thing back. Then you can take the shorter top part and fold it up against the headboard, bending the corners to go behind the window valances. They are very sturdy so I am not worried. Now it is a nice couch or double bed. Three adults can easily sit there.

I posted photos under the topic "FR3 folding bed thingy". There is also a folding piece that flips up under the head of the bed that allows you to make the couch with the slide out as well.

Finally I paid 69,900 for mine in early February, including having them add on three vent covers and a bath vent fan and a high level fantastic fan in the main area vent. With an older model and further into the 2015 model year you should be able to beat that price.

Good luck, this is a big step up for us from our older TT and we are very excited about the FR3EDOM we have to travel.

Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #3

Thanks Enconcapt for the quick reply. I looked at the pictures and pointing out another useful forum to read. Neither of us has owned an RV before and we appreciate all of the help with figuring out what things to look for and ask.

As far as negotiating, and getting add-ons thrown in: the salesman told us the price is what you see - nothing changes. Of course that doesn't mean that we can't check with other dealers in the area and see what they can do for us.

We came up with a few more questions last night.
1) We like to travel with our dogs, which is part of the reason an RV is so appealing. How long can we safely park the FR3 with the generator running so that the A/C can stay on to keep the dogs comfortable?

2) We would also like to be able to travel to National and State Parks. I know that some parks, such as the Grand Canyon, put limits on the length of vehicles you can park. Has anyone run into problems with where you can take your FR3 25?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #4

I checked several dealers and went out if town to get that price. CW locally did not carry the FR3 but would ship one in from out of state for 73,900. Ballantyne in Victor NY beat them soundly and had several in stock.

The generator is made to run as long as you need it, it will only shut down if you get to 1/4 tank of fuel so that you can still drive the coach.

Size was important to me also, I have been to Death Valley, Grand Canyon etc and I have not seen any restrictions that would stop my. Most size restrictions seem to be for the 35 and larger crowd.

You will need to build shelves in the large closet area. See my pictures in the upgrade post. You could easily make dog kennel space in the bottom and have lots of storage area above that, the whole space is roughly 3 x 3 x 5 feet.

Good luck, we are looking forward to several cross country trips.

I also find it is very easy to maneuver in parking lots. There were several stretch limos at the wineries that had a much harder time getting in and out. I have driven down lots of side streets, parking lots, etc with no problems.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Just about all State & Nat'l parks have length limitations. Usually 32', but, I've seen 36 footers. We have the 30DS and have not had any big problems. It's important that when you make the reservation, make sure the space you choose is big enough. You can also call the ranger check in station. They can be very helpful. I say this because once I reserved a particular space and when I called, the ranger told me I would have a difficult time backing my 31' rig into the space because there were trees in the way. Luckily he was able to move us to another space.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #6

Thanks drivmsafe - It's good to know that we should be able to get around with little or no problems.
Well, we did it. We signed the contract yesterday and will go pick it up on Friday. We got what I think is a fair price, and the one we are buying is much newer than the first one we saw. I'm willing to pay more for the changes and the comfort of knowing that they may have had time to work out some of bugs I am reading about here.
Part of the negotiations with the dealer were to get a super deal on the "service contract" aka extended warranty. We were quoted $3500 for the Eagle Guardian, which is the top level with US Warranty, for 5 years. I've done some calling around since and that seems fair but not a great price.
Most of the warranty companies say that you have to call before taking the coach in for service - is that something you have dealt with and if so, is it a hassle? We live in Phoenix and our dealer is the only one listed on FR website as a licensed dealer.
We are very excited to get our new RV and look forward to checking out all of the upgrades and modifications that are posted in other forums.
Again - thanks for all of the ongoing useful information.