Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #1

Constant issues with our FR3, want to get rid of it

So, we have had a laundry list of issues with our coach that seems to never end. Some of it is small, others are big. We bought the rv knowing that we would have issues but this seems never ending.

My Forest River contact has also stopped responding once I mentioned us wanting to talk to FR about them buying back the RV.
  • Furnace vent cover paint chipping/rusting
  • Steering Alignment incorrect
  • Nonfunctional TV antenna (3 dealer visits which ended with full replacement)
  • Rear window seal not properly set (found at pickup)
  • Recliners do not latch closed properly
  • GFCI outlet failed on second trip out
  • Cruise control did not work properly
  • Tow haul mode was not working correctly
  • Under-body storage compartment latches/locks corroding
  • Power converter/charger failed
  • Passenger Window shattered while sitting in our driveway
    • Took 4 weeks to receive replacement from factory
  • Repeated floor lifting issues.
    • This was first addressed early on in June 2016
    • Another attempt to fix this (3rd time I believe) was completed at the same time as the door issue(2017)
  • 12v outlets failed
  • Bathroom door did not fit correctly resulting in damage
    • 5 doors to get suitable replacement
  • Refrigerator door handle broken
  • Screws in slide bracket (outside) broke/popped off
  • Leveling system needs to be replaced, loses pressure and unlevels coach
  • Living room slide rubbing on floor
  • Entry steps not fully retracting
  • Trim pieces falling off
  • Fresh Water tank empties itself if too full
  • Driver side Speaker moutning location broke loose
  • Black tank rinse hose was not properly attached when first bought would spray entire underside of coach
  • Dash A/C leaks water all over coach floor during usage
  • Generator takes abnormal amount of time to start, even after priming, just being shutdown

And I'm probably missing a few things. Am I crazy in thinking that this is abnormal and the coach is a lemon? It just seems like every-time one thing is fixed, something else breaks. The RV has literally been in the shop/out of commission for over 50% of our ownership. And we're currently still waiting for parts!
Old 07-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #2

Wow. We had a few normal issues that were corrected and one repeated issue the dealer failed to fix 4 times, leaking windshield, that I fixed myself with FlexSeal silicone but it seems like your coach has a lot of issues. I don't think you're crazy, seems like abnormal issues going on to me.
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #3

We had endless crap. It's mostly all fixed now. But it was so worth getting fix we love that thing now
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #4

unfortunate

I have had a couple of issues but that is normal. Some of the stuff on your list you really need to fix yourself....ownership of an RV is much like ownership of your house I feel. I can't believe all the stuff you have had issues with. I would say you are the exception and not the rule, must be a lemon as they say.
punkutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkutsu View Post
I have had a couple of issues but that is normal. Some of the stuff on your list you really need to fix yourself....ownership of an RV is much like ownership of your house I feel. I can't believe all the stuff you have had issues with. I would say you are the exception and not the rule, must be a lemon as they say.
Yes, some of the stuff is things I could fix and would have if I didn't have the warranty but the constant breakdown of critical components is what worries and bothers me the most. Im technically already on an extension of the warranty because of all the issues we've had so far. If it wasn't for that I'd be footing the bill for several items right now (jacking system, slide rubbing, steps not retracting).

I shouldnt be stuck with all this 1 year into ownership. I can't get Forest River to respond to me though so idk what to do next.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #6

Most of the issues on your list should be completed by the dealer. Your issue on the Onan gen should be taken directly to your Onan dealer. Don't waste your time at the dealership. There is a 3 year warranty through Onan, and they were willing to help me when I was having our issues. Cruise control/Tow Haul mode should go through Ford. That would be all part of their 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

Once you mentioned lawyers, I bet the FR rep won't respond because anything they say afterwards is considered on record, especially over email, will be used against them in the future. So its best for them to remain hush. I'd start beating down the door of your dealership to get those issues resolved. Research the lemon law in your state and document everything it requires. Not your job to be the middle man, drop the unit off with dealer for X amount of time (from what I remember, Florida where I used to live was 30 days in the shop before its considered a lemon) and go from there. Then contact some lawyers to start the lemon law process. One letter from a lawyer to FR/Dealer and your issues will be resolved.

Sorry your having so much grief. Once over the initial hurdle of fixing most of the issues, its a good unit. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
Most of the issues on your list should be completed by the dealer. Your issue on the Onan gen should be taken directly to your Onan dealer. Don't waste your time at the dealership. There is a 3 year warranty through Onan, and they were willing to help me when I was having our issues. Cruise control/Tow Haul mode should go through Ford. That would be all part of their 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

Once you mentioned lawyers, I bet the FR rep won't respond because anything they say afterwards is considered on record, especially over email, will be used against them in the future. So its best for them to remain hush. I'd start beating down the door of your dealership to get those issues resolved. Research the lemon law in your state and document everything it requires. Not your job to be the middle man, drop the unit off with dealer for X amount of time (from what I remember, Florida where I used to live was 30 days in the shop before its considered a lemon) and go from there. Then contact some lawyers to start the lemon law process. One letter from a lawyer to FR/Dealer and your issues will be resolved.

Sorry your having so much grief. Once over the initial hurdle of fixing most of the issues, its a good unit. Good luck.
The dealer is being as helpful as they can. There was a Learning process there there too that involved talking to the owner before things moved smoothly.
At this point we have a head working relationship and they move as fast as they can on these things. I don't want to be making payments though and not using it during the season!

It spent the entire winter at the dealer waiting for parts and issues to be fixed. Unfortunately NYS only considers it a lemon if it's issues not really to the living area. The Ford chassis minus the tow haul/cruise fix has been great.

Most of the issues are fixed at this point. The remaining items that have not been addressed are:

* Steps not retracting
* Slide rubbing
* Coach a/c water issue
* Speaker box loose
* Leveling system (parts on order)
* Generator hard start

I just feel like I'm going to be screwed come Sept when the warranty is up and I'm going to be footing the bill for some other big issue.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Once you mentioned lawyers, I bet the FR rep won't respond because anything they say afterwards is considered on record, especially over email, will be used against them in the future.
I never mentioned if I had contacted lawyers or threatened contacting lawyers in this post so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
Curiouser and Curiouser

So many problems!

So frustrating! We had about the same number of problems with our FR3 and have been working through them with the dealer as they arise. The difference seems to be that the problems were ones that did not force us to cut short our summer plans. We were able to continue using our coach with the problems and then taken it to the dealer at the end of the season. While not ideal, this worked for us even when some things in the motorhome didn't.

Our dealer has been able to address every issue so far and we have another long list following our 7 week trip this summer. We also have purchased an extended warranty because we saw that problems would likely continue and this seemed like good insurance. Yes the quality control is very disappointing - but we figure we purchased the FR3 at much, much lower price than those of the higher-end coaches and we are still way ahead in dollars and cents, while being able to enjoy a coach that has so much to offer. However, we would feel very differently if the problems had continued to cause us to shorten our summer plans. Is there another dealer in your vicinity where you could have your warranty work done?
Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
Is there another dealer in your vicinity where you could have your warranty work done?
The dealer is not this issue. They have been very accommodating for the most part. The issue is usually just things breaking or waiting on parts. FR sent 5 doors to the dealer over winter for replacement and every single one was damaged, the last one was finally acceptable to install.

If the issues were subsiding I would understand but it seems like every trip we take add's more things to the list when it gets back to the dealer. The quality is just not there and the support from FR is nearly non-existent.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #11

As had been repeated on here over and over again, most of the stuff you will have to fix yourself to get it the way you want it. That doesn't mean you don't have my sympathy and like you I don't blame the dealer. Some of the items on your list are major and costly to repair. The sad part is it ruins your enjoyment of something you probably have worked hard to provide and all the problems stem from a rush to produce with little concern for the quality. Some of the stuff is just plain dumb and more expensive to repair than it would have been to build it right to begin with. This is nothing new however to this industry as they have been dealing with quality issues since the mid 70's. I keep saying that one of these days someone will build a better mouse trap but I have been saying that for 40 years.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #12

I have read where people go to the Indiana rally OR back to the factory and get things fixed fast and friendly by FR reps... maybe someone else that knows better than me will comment on that possibility

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I have read where people go to the Indiana rally OR back to the factory and get things fixed fast and friendly by FR reps... maybe someone else that knows better than me will comment on that possibility

Yup, I would take that rig straight back to FR in Indiana with all documentation.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #14

I would contact the factory and insist that it be repaired there. I had to do this, It took a bit of doing but they did agree to take care of the repairs.. I had it in 2 different dealers, they had it 60 days of the first 3 months we owned it.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxie89 View Post
The dealer is being as helpful as they can. There was a Learning process there there too that involved talking to the owner before things moved smoothly.
At this point we have a head working relationship and they move as fast as they can on these things. I don't want to be making payments though and not using it during the season!

It spent the entire winter at the dealer waiting for parts and issues to be fixed. Unfortunately NYS only considers it a lemon if it's issues not really to the living area. The Ford chassis minus the tow haul/cruise fix has been great.

Most of the issues are fixed at this point. The remaining items that have not been addressed are:

* Steps not retracting
* Slide rubbing
* Coach a/c water issue
* Speaker box loose
* Leveling system (parts on order)
* Generator hard start

I just feel like I'm going to be screwed come Sept when the warranty is up and I'm going to be footing the bill for some other big issue.
Our 2017 29DS spent over 4 months at the dealer this winter, someone dropped the ball and the parts were never ordered, we have the extended warranty but we are considering trying to cancel it. everything that was suppose to be fixed by the dealer is still an issue. We have the slide issue plus much more, what is really annoying is the water pours into the coach when the AC goes on and off. We are trying to get everything documented before our 1 year warranty ends at the end of the month. You mentioned you are in NYS, what dealer are you using?
Luannr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luannr View Post
Our 2017 29DS spent over 4 months at the dealer this winter, someone dropped the ball and the parts were never ordered, we have the extended warranty but we are considering trying to cancel it. everything that was suppose to be fixed by the dealer is still an issue. We have the slide issue plus much more, what is really annoying is the water pours into the coach when the AC goes on and off. We are trying to get everything documented before our 1 year warranty ends at the end of the month. You mentioned you are in NYS, what dealer are you using?
We're currently using Meyers RV. Out of Churchville.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #17

We bought ours from Meyers in Bath, but are going to Syracuse for the document the repairs and they are going to try to fix the AC while we wait. Syracuse is closer to us then Bath. Wish we would have researched the rv choices before we purchased our Forest River. Would love to trade it in for a Tiffin diesel, when I win the lottery
Luannr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #18

On the other hand, you might just want to bite the bullet and trade it. You'll probably never be happy with it. Been there done that. By the way knoxie, I went to Churchville Chili schools until the 6th grade. It was kinda fun to see your post. That was a long time ago now.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #19

Had lots of problems initially... dealer fixed most of them to my satisfaction. I continue to have water supply to toilet getting clogged. I guess the old adage... you get what you pay for. The FR3 line is a budget line - and I keep that in mind when bitching about it. Would I buy another FR3 - no way.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdaniels4 View Post
On the other hand, you might just want to bite the bullet and trade it. You'll probably never be happy with it. Been there done that. By the way knoxie, I went to Churchville Chili schools until the 6th grade. It was kinda fun to see your post. That was a long time ago now.
Unfortunately I Think we will probably wind up taking the hit and doing just that. Although I have till sept to get FR to pay for a lot more fixes so I'll probably use every cent of the warranty I can first! By then I might have the whole coach rebuilt by Meyers!

A lot of the small things I can fix going forward no problem, and I know the FR3's are a budget line, but there still shouldn't be this much poking and prodding going on still. Forest River has definitely lost a customer for life. Being under 30 that's a lot of lost sales! I'll never recommend them to anyone I know either after the 'customer service' i've received.

Tags
fr3