Old 04-18-2018, 11:20 PM   #1

Countertops

Hi All,

We are looking at a 32DS as we are moving from a TT to a motorhome. One thing we hate about our TT are the cheap counter tops with the cap on the edge allowing for easy water intrusion and swelling. I know that the FR3's do not have Corian but the wood itself and the laminate/coating being one-piece appears to be much better.

How do the counter tops in the FR3 hold up for everyone.

Thanks in advance!

ducksquasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:21 AM   #2

i have had the sink covers swell up, and they replaced them. they looked like they were going to do it again so i made custom wood cutting boards to cover the sinks. used the FR ones as template. the counter seems to be doing well

Old 04-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksquasher View Post
Hi All,

We are looking at a 32DS as we are moving from a TT to a motorhome. One thing we hate about our TT are the cheap counter tops with the cap on the edge allowing for easy water intrusion and swelling. I know that the FR3's do not have Corian but the wood itself and the laminate/coating being one-piece appears to be much better.

How do the counter tops in the FR3 hold up for everyone.

Thanks in advance!
I have a 2018 32DS fully intend on upgrading my countertops to a solid surface material in a few years to keep the coach "new". You can effectively put on a granite veneer thats about 1/4" thick if you wanted. That's what residential does now too. Not as durable, but it does save weight. For us, the countertops were not a huge issue because we do not really do any of the cooking inside. We usually group camp with a lot of other families, and usually we congregate around other people's campers only returning to our motorhome to sleep, but for our needs our countertops are plenty. I just want the countertops to reflect home, which is the reason for the future upgrade. I do not think the quality of the countertops is any different from my prior Springdale bunkhouse. It may look better than the Springdale counters with the rubber bullnose, but its the same quality I feel.

One thing that I have been reminded of constantly is that the FR3 is an entry level coach, and you can either modify things to suit your preferences or you can spend $50k more on the upfront to get those finishes. And even if you spend more money on the upfront, you won't be guaranteed quality. We also had a TT and moved into a motorhome because my body physically could not tolerate hitching and unhitching then setting up the camper, after a traffic collision in 2016. Basically I would hitch up, then drive, then unhitch, then set up/level, and I would be wiped the entire weekend. Thats why we are where we are now with the 32DS. But the main reason we went with the 32DS over another brand (even though I liked the Hurricane 34J better because of the outdoor kitchen) was because of the Moreryde chassis and the fiberglass roof. At the show, both were side by side, but ultimately the "bones" of the 32DS won out and not the pretty finishes of the 34J.

Good luck on your purchase. Feel free to ask me anything about the 32DS. I'm still working out the bugs in mine and its currently in service... again... but that is to be expected with any new coach (from what I have gathered). You just have to smile and nod sometimes. I was very lucky with my travel trailer in that I only ever brought it in to the dealer two, maybe three, times for warranty work the first year. We are now at the point where its been in the shop for two and a half months out of the six we have owned it, but I think that was more of dealer oversight than anything. Our new service guy is much better than the last two... so.... again... smile and nod.
alexchuang is offline   Reply With Quote