Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #1

Creating Holes in the Roof

Hey gang, like to have your thoughts on drilling holes in the roof of our FR3. Looking at 2 future projects: installing solar panels and installing a WIFi Ranger Sky. Both will require holes to access the newly installed panels for each project. Any suggestions? Locations? What sealant to use?

Appreciate any feedback.
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #2

Why not use the fridge opening on the roof to route the cables? That is what most people typically do...

Reiner
Old 06-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post
Why not use the fridge opening on the roof to route the cables? That is what most people typically do...

Reiner
oh fine spoil his fun
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post

Reiner

Thanks! That should work for my Solar Application. My WiFi Ranger will need a hole because the wire is under the unit. Plenty of Dicor, I guess.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #5

I would not buy a wi-fi Ranger again. It did little to improve reception. Just "tether" or use your "mobile hotspot" feature on your smartphone. That will be the best connection you can get. I get full bars almost everywhere when doing it that way. As for the solar, yes the wiring should go down the fridge vent but you will have to use lots of Dicor for the brackets that you mount your solar panels onto the roof with.
Mozzy n Boob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy n Boob View Post
I would not buy a wi-fi Ranger again. It did little to improve reception. Just "tether" or use your "mobile hotspot" feature on your smartphone. That will be the best connection you can get. I get full bars almost everywhere when doing it that way. As for the solar, yes the wiring should go down the fridge vent but you will have to use lots of Dicor for the brackets that you mount your solar panels onto the roof with.

Ehhh, I just ordered the WiFi Ranger. I hear some good and some bad. Think it's really dependent where you are. I'll let you know.

As for the panels, thanks for the tip on Dicor . I am also thinking I may order the flexible panels that get siliconed down instead of drilling holes....
Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #7

I have had very good results with one of these:

Amazon.com: Alfa 2000mw 2W Waterproof Marine high power Long Range Outdoor 802.11 B, G, N, USB wireless network Wifi Adaptor with Integrated 12dBi Antenna - Up to 150mps: Computers & Accessories

Sometimes I attach it to the rear ladder up high running the cord out a window, other times I just aim it toward the WiFi source from inside the RV. In either case, no holes needed.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Ehhh, I just ordered the WiFi Ranger. I hear some good and some bad. Think it's really dependent where you are. I'll let you know.

As for the panels, thanks for the tip on Dicor . I am also thinking I may order the flexible panels that get siliconed down instead of drilling holes....

Even so we have a Solera (thinking on trading for a FR3)....

We installed the flexible ones after our other panel flew off on the interstate (yikes!!!). I do not regret as the output is better in variable conditions without needing to tilt them (you can't).

Wise choice on going flexible :-(

Reiner

Tags
roo, roof