Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #1

Cummins onan 5500 generator

Generator cranks fine and runs but supplies no power to the coach Checked wires no pwr and no place to get it fixed FR was calling me back in 30 minutes and no return call in a week 2017 FR3 32DS Help
Jay Dorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #2

Do you have your shore power plug plugged into the outlet in the comparment. We did that once!
Aluminum Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

If you are sure you are plugged in to the generator and all breakers are reset, then you can easily check for a failed voltage regulator, which my Generac in my MH experienced when new. Start the generator with a 120 volt lamp or work light plugged in and turned on. If the light goes on for about 1 second or so and then goes off, the problem is likely the voltage regulator not controlling the voltage. Without regulation, the voltage keeps going up until an internal breaker cuts off the field. After the unit is shut off, this breaker resets automatically after a few minutes, so you must wait if you want to try it again. By the way, NEVER start the generator with the AC or microwave turned on, as the initial load surge before reaching governed generator speed can trip the internal breaker or even fail the voltage regulator.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #4

I agree with Aluminum Falcon, ensure that your cord is plugged into the wall outlet in the basement.
LDStaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #5

Ditto what Aluminum Falcon mentioned. I don't believe any FR3s came with a transfer switch, so you'll have manually "connect" the shore cord to the generator outlet that's in your basement storage bin. If you have 120vac at that plug, then your now up to your power distribution panel. Check your 50 amp breaker. If not, then your generator probably has a 50 amp circuit breaker on the generator itself that you should verify hasn't been tripped (ours has a 30 amp being a 4kw Onan gen). Let us know what your find out.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
Ditto what Aluminum Falcon mentioned. I don't believe any FR3s came with a transfer switch, so you'll have manually "connect" the shore cord to the generator outlet that's in your basement storage bin. If you have 120vac at that plug, then your now up to your power distribution panel. Check your 50 amp breaker. If not, then your generator probably has a 50 amp circuit breaker on the generator itself that you should verify hasn't been tripped (ours has a 30 amp being a 4kw Onan gen). Let us know what your find out.
Have done all the above and still no pwr to coach
Old 09-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #7

Forest River in response to my problems is a simple "Im sorry for your problem but FR doesnt warranty those problems because the vendor who sold this item to them wants to do it" In other words you are on your own to fix the problem and service after the sale from the dealer is even a bigger joke and their quote"unfortunately we dont fix those items So after you spend $100,000 with Warren Buffets company says good luck and sere you later Sad but true
Old 09-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #8

So do you have power to the generator outlet using a voltmeter? Otherwise, don't bother with FR, find an Onan dealership and goto them. Its under a 3 year warranty from what I remember.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #9

a couple of thoughts

first, has it ever worked before?

onan 5500 has two circuit breakers , one for each leg. check that they are not tripped.

I don't know the fr3 but from what I read it does not have an automatic transfer switch. instead you have to plug the shore power cord into the generator output receptacle. do you have an ems system installed on the shore power cord that might be blocking generator power from flowing (open neutral or ground)?

have you checked the generator output receptacle to see if it actually has power? if not, the problem will be the generator or the cable between it and the receptacle. having a wire come loose from its connection is not unheard of. even charred if the connection was loose.

do you have power to the rv if you plug the shore power cord into a pedestal? (or even 15 amp 110 volt outlet with adapters). could the problem be with the power cord, its connectors, or the breaker in the distribution panel. again, a wire coming loose is not unheard of.

if you can identify the problem as within the generator it has a 2 year unlimited warranty, which includes diagnosis, and a 3rd year for major issues.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dorton View Post
Forest River in response to my problems is a simple "Im sorry for your problem but FR doesnt warranty those problems because the vendor who sold this item to them wants to do it" In other words you are on your own to fix the problem and service after the sale from the dealer is even a bigger joke and their quote"unfortunately we dont fix those items So after you spend $100,000 with Warren Buffets company says good luck and sere you later Sad but true
It's not a "pass the buck" your dealing with here with FR. Cummins/Onan generators have their own 5 yr. warranty program. FR is suggesting that you call them for your issue.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #11

5.5 cummings gen

I have a 5.5 Cummings propane generator out of a 2010 Montana 5th wheel,hardly used as 5th wheel was always on shore power.If this is any help to you please email me
nieforth@telus.net

nieforth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, generator