Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #1

Dash cams

Any body use a dash cam to record some of the great scenery this country has to offer
Can they be turned on and off easily while driving and how long do they record for
frankie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Upto last week I used a cheap one from Amazon. It would start recording as soon as it was plugged in or you could leave it plugged in and set it to be triggered by motion. In motion mode upon being triggered it would record a 20 second clip and save it. All recorded footage was saved to a 32g SD card.
I now have a built in dash cam that works in conjunction with my 7" screen Android based Stereo in the dash. This one I have set to record when powered and it breaks it down into 10 minute files on a 64g SD card. Once the space on the card is full it will record over the oldest video. If there is a video worth saving you can always lock the file to save it. Both cameras have that feature.
The thing with dash cams is finding one with the best field of vision (170°) and pixel clarity resolution.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie D View Post
Any body use a dash cam to record some of the great scenery this country has to offer
Can they be turned on and off easily while driving and how long do they record for
Never thought about it but suppose I could turn on the video camera on my phone which is mounted on top of dashboard.
jimlitwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlitwin View Post
Never thought about it but suppose I could turn on the video camera on my phone which is mounted on top of dashboard.
I have an app on my phone that is for maps but also has a dash cam feature. The app is Offline Maps & Navigation for android.
Here's a screenshot. I like it because you can download the state you're visiting and will then work without phone service.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181209-141429_Offline%20Maps%20%26%20Navigation.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	192850
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #5

I have a Viofo A119S hard wired. There is an on/off button that isn't too difficult to push, though I never turn it off, especially when driving. I got the camera to capture evidence in case an idiot causes an accident...
It will record forever, once the memory chip if full, it starts overwriting the oldest video segments. How long it records depends on the size of the memory card, what resolution you select, how many frames per second you capture. With that said, I have mine set to max on everything. My 126GB card will hold about 6 hours of video. On some trips, I will copy the video to enable future viewing of nice scenery, etc.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote