Old 01-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #1

Dash Driver Side-No Heat

I have a 2020 FR3 30DS whose dash heater works well on the passenger side through the floor setting, but not so much on the driver side. Do others see this problem? -Cold Feet

Lfresin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #2

We have a 2018 29DS and there is no foot heat outlet on the driver side, only on the passenger side.

2018 FR3 29DS
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:31 AM   #3

So, do you just live with it or have you come up with a way to have warm legs?
Old 01-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #4

We've only had it a year. Pretty much just live with it.

2018 FR3 29DS
Old 01-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfresin1 View Post
I have a 2020 FR3 30DS whose dash heater works well on the passenger side through the floor setting, but not so much on the driver side. Do others see this problem? -Cold Feet

I have a 2016 30ds.

There is a floor vent down by the brake pedal. You may need to rotate the vent to the proper orientation so it blows on you instead of under the dash.

I hope it works!
Old 01-12-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

I was planning to install a 195F engine Thermostat to get more out of the heater.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #7

I have a 2019 32DS bought spring 2018. Experienced same that winter and found that the zip-tie FR used to secure the supply line at a 90-degree turn basically pinched the line almost entirely closed to left of brake pedal. Was of course an easy fix. Suggest you crawl under there and take a look.

2019 FR3 32DS
FarFromLiberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
I think if you take a real close look you will see the passenger side has no way to restrict the flow of air out of that vent therefore not allowing a lot of heat vent air to drivers side. Wife says too hot i am too cold.

My solution was to restrict flow from passenger vent by using duct tape. That worked for awhile but the tape gets hot and wonít hold. My final solution was to go to an auto wrecker and find an adjustable dash vent the restricts the flow of air. It was a Ford vent and fit in place real well. Donít ask me specifics of the fix as I am a bit of a Mcgiver when it comes to that. Anything will work even a sock stuck in the vent outlet.

I then went over to passenger side and straitened out vent pipe and aimed it at my feet held in place by zip ties. To the poster who said he didnít have a vent , take a closer look itís there. Lots of heat coming out driver side vent now. But it is hard to keep warm in these rigs when temps drop.

Also the other day we were in some real cold travels and I noticed a real strong draft coming from around the front of window almost directly across from mirror but on inside of window. By reaching even further forward and underneath I detected more drafts. I had already stuffed batt insulation around heater box on passenger side so my next project will be to somehow insulate firewall. Spray foam maybe? That can wait because we are now south of Vegas and starting to warm up.

There are some threads on this on this forum. Also search under sound deadening..
Old 01-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I was planning to install a 195F engine Thermostat to get more out of the heater.
Would not recommend that. These newer engines are designed to run at the proper temperature and Ford may not like it if any warranty work was required
Old 01-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
To the poster who said he didnít have a vent , take a closer look itís there.
I stand corrected. Can't believe as many times that I've crawled up under the driver's side cleaning, running wires, etc., and actually looking for a vent, that I completely missed it. I always looked towards the engine side, expecting to find it there. Air flow is very low though, so now when I have some time, I'll start pulling things apart to investigate the cause.

Thanks for setting me straight. I feel pretty stupid.

2018 FR3 29DS
Old 01-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #11

I checked under the driver's side in my 2020 FR3 30DS while I had the blower on full and directed to the floor. The passenger side was VERY strong coming out of a circular tube while the driver's side had NOTHING. Looked all over and no vent unless it's under the stapled down rubber mat on the floor. I wrote to FR to see what they say.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:
I checked under the driver's side in my 2020 FR3 30DS while I had the blower on full and directed to the floor. The passenger side was VERY strong coming out of a circular tube while the driver's side had NOTHING. Looked all over and no vent unless it's under the stapled down rubber mat on the floor. I wrote to FR to see what they say.
Strange, it should be just to the left and above parking brake mechanism. A round tube about 3Ē diameter black in color . Maybe it didnít get put in, wouldnít surprise me in the least If you didnít feel any air flow it must be missing or possibly not connected near the passenger side. One way to tell would be to remove the centre dash bazel, where the radio is mounted. Six screws. look inside. There should be vent pipes visible going to the dash vents and floor vent.