Old 04-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchat View Post
I really did not want to install a permanent solution. BUT, I will definately check it out, who knows, maybe I could be convinced.

You can always remove it. Another plus.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneLee View Post
My Hummer H3 comes in at 4900 pounds. I have been towing it since 2005 behind several different Class A's including Ford, Workhorse and a diesel pusher, without any problems.

That's the main reason that I chose a Sunseeker. The 2016's are all on the E450 chassis with a 7500 pound rated hitch. And, yes, I do feel the H3 behind me when I go over railroad tracks or up the mountain grade, but not as bad as the Ford Class A which had more weight than the Sunseeker.

The Hummer H3 is a fantastic vehicle to tow for RV'ers. Four wheel drive, transfer case that goes into neutral, steering wheel doesn't lock when the key is removed. Can take that vehicle anywhere including 4 wheel only trails! Too bad GM dropped the Hummer line.
So there is hope with my F150!

Old 04-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er

I tow a Wrangler (about 4,200#) and went with the Blue Ox base plate and Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. That tow bar is rated for 10,000 lbs, so a bit of overkill but I liked the design; it has like a ball and socket connection. Also wanted to have it in case I ever upgrade, etc. For braking, I went with the Invisibrake. It's a permanent install, so you don't have to take it in and out like the others. Also about $100 cheaper, though you do have more labor initially. Have used it for over 8,000 miles and a year now with zero issues. If you look at their website, odds are they'll have a video of an install on your specific vehicle. I also got the Blue Ox lighting kit. No diodes to mess with - it's all in a small, sealed control unit that can hide behind the taillight. No wires to cut as it just plugs in between the existing harness and the taillight. Very quick and easy to install. Also got the Aventa LX accessory kit. Everything you need in there. Bought everything from Amazon and got a mechanic friend to install it all; his shop time was around five hours all in at $75 per hour, do $375 versus $800 that CW quoted. I trust his work a lot more, too. Good luck!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #14

All 2015 and 2016 Ford F150 4X4's can be flat towed according to the manual in the glovebox.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #15

Some of these posts have got me wrestling with a more permanent solution. Darnit, my comfort zone has been tampered with.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #16
Land of the Midnightsun

I wouldn't do it. I have a lot of $$$ tied up in our Moho and jeep. I had an excellent idea of what I was going to buy before I purchased anything .....hitch, Moho size and type, jeep type, everything. The one most important rule I had was to stay away from boundaries
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
I wouldn't do it. I have a lot of $$$ tied up in our Moho and jeep. I had an excellent idea of what I was going to buy before I purchased anything .....hitch, Moho size and type, jeep type, everything. The one most important rule I had was to stay away from boundaries
You think like me. I like to keep things easily fixable, changeable and leaving my options open. Why I liked the RVI2.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #18
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchat View Post
You think like me. I like to keep things easily fixable, changeable and leaving my options open. Why I liked the RVI2.
Funny thing I traded off my 2014 f150 on our jeep. The F150 was 2wd and can't tow 4 down but I knew it was to heavy, to close to my boundaries. I got a stock Sarah 2 door put 2 1/2 inch lift on it. Not only for off-road but to level my tow bar from Moho to jeep ( very important and something to think about ) our jeep weighs in 3800lbs. I went with ready brute elite tow bar. It's solid and uses mechanical brakes. I love it. I'm not a big fan of all the electronic gizmos. Guess I'm getting older and trust what I know from yrs gone by. We have a 2016 coachmen concord 300ds. We love that thing. Shaped like a bullet and pulls like a horse. When we are towing , full of fuel ( both jeep and Moho ) full of water , propane , food , clothes, tools , everything we can possible need ( including cooler full of beer and ice to very top in back of jeep ) we scale combine weight of 17,840. Our max is 22,000. I think that is good job of planning out and studying before ya buy. Still gonna put kayaks and bicycles on jeep and have plenty of weight roomClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	106031
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #19
7 Year Class A RV'er

Nice rig! We had a Tacoma truck when we bought the new DP coach. Weight was fine, but no 4-down towing without lube pumps, etc. Real pain in the rear and a lot of bucks. Happened to stop at the Ford dealer down the road and they had a 2014 Sport Unlimited (4 door) with only 5,000 miles on it sitting in the lot. Somebody bought it thinking a Jeep should be a luxury car and decided quickly it was not for them. My gain! The Unlimited is great as we have grandkids to ride with us when we go visit. I couldn't believe how easy it was to set up for towing! There are several companies now selling aftermarket front bumpers with the connections built in for various tow bars; no base plate needed if you want to go that way. As mentioned, I stuck with the Invisibrake...minimum of electronics as it triggers off the brake lights of the coach, engages the brakes for 15 seconds or until the brake lights go out, and stays hidden under the front seat. You don't even know it's there.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #20
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Nice rig! We had a Tacoma truck when we bought the new DP coach. Weight was fine, but no 4-down towing without lube pumps, etc. Real pain in the rear and a lot of bucks. Happened to stop at the Ford dealer down the road and they had a 2014 Sport Unlimited (4 door) with only 5,000 miles on it sitting in the lot. Somebody bought it thinking a Jeep should be a luxury car and decided quickly it was not for them. My gain! The Unlimited is great as we have grandkids to ride with us when we go visit. I couldn't believe how easy it was to set up for towing! There are several companies now selling aftermarket front bumpers with the connections built in for various tow bars; no base plate needed if you want to go that way. As mentioned, I stuck with the Invisibrake...minimum of electronics as it triggers off the brake lights of the coach, engages the brakes for 15 seconds or until the brake lights go out, and stays hidden under the front seat. You don't even know it's there.

Jeeps are the best and a ton of after market options to set it up to individual liking. Our grandkids love it to. I take top off and bolt down kids seat in back and go putt around town. One thing I learned is the grandkids throw things. I've seen 2 sippy cups go bouncing off hoods and gum stuck on back window of suburban stopped next to us at stop light. Seen my 3yr old launch a hotdog from backseat perfect spiral into back of pick up stopped in front of us. It an adventure no doubt. Grandma isn't happy but papa has tears of laughter running down his face. Even had our 18month old grandkid get hold of bottle of baby powder. Thought fire extinguisher went off back there

Tags
f150