Old 04-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Dinghy F150 (or any car) recommendations

Wandering if anyone has recommendations for towing an F150 (weight 4550) behind a 32DS. Hopefully someone else has done this and has part numbers that work with the 32DS.

I guess 2 of the biggies I am hunting down are below for this unit. Any other recommendations would be great.

1. BlueOx TrueCenter or equiv.
2. Stablizer Bars.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

One assumes that you already have the tow bar and baseplate for towing your truck?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #3

No, I have scratch at the moment. I have and Rv 2015 32ds. I have a 2016 F150. Nothing to connect the two together yet.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #4
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Dinghy F150 (or any car) recommendations

First things to get are the tow bar and baseplate. Blue Ox or Roadmaster are good choices. Check their websites for proper applications. Have you checked to be sure the 2016 F100 is towable 4 down?
The other 2 items you mention are for the suspension. Another project down the line if you feel the need.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #5

Only the 4x4 F150 can be towed 4 down, not 2x4. Bought the truck for that reason, since the new f150's are aluminum also they shaved about 700 lbs off of weight which makes it 4600 lbs.

Also researching breaking systems and have read all kinds of reviews. Currently looking at the RVI2 which I have read nothing but positives about. BlueOx & BrakeMaster seem to have some negatives depending on what you read, but just about everything I read was RVI2 was a big thumbs up. I do not want a permanant solution either. Something portable.

So at the moment:
1. Blue Ox Baseplate & Tow Bar
2. RVI2 Supplemental Brakes
3. Magenetic lights wired for a semi perm solution (run a line under truck from front to back, plug into rv when needed and will have dongle in back to plug in temp lights).
4. SafetyPlus <-> for peace of mind

Get this all together and see how it rides like drivmsafe says and then look further into stabalization as needed. Missing anything?
Old 04-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

The major item is your F150, Roadmaster and Blue Ox both make good, solid base plates and tow bars. But, as linchat said, a stock F150 cannot be towed 4 down, it takes having the 4x4 version with the ability to put the transfer case into neutral. BUT, Ford did, at one time, have an approved modification to allow the F150 to be towed 4 down, I just don't know if they allow it on 2016 models. I have forgotten all the details, whether its a lube pump or a drive train disconnect, but this modification had to be installed by Ford at a dealer in order to keep your warranty valid.

Our family has had 150's for many years, and I checked on this issue several years ago when I had a diesel pusher with plenty of power to pull that truck around.

2016 Sunseeker 3050DS towing 2006 Hummer H3

WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #7

Wayhnlee, how heavy is the hummer you are pulling? I was looking at your description and it says your pulling the H3 with a V10 Gas correct? How does it tow?

My F150 which I weighed today, is of course not the weight I got from the dealer, that weight was the base model. So my options put me around 4900 without gas! So to keep me in range I got to keep about 5 gallons in the tank. I figure after tow bar and baseplate I am getting real close to 5k.

My GCWR will be around 23K which puts me about 3K under the 26K GCWR for the Fr3.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #8

My Hummer H3 comes in at 4900 pounds. I have been towing it since 2005 behind several different Class A's including Ford, Workhorse and a diesel pusher, without any problems.

That's the main reason that I chose a Sunseeker. The 2016's are all on the E450 chassis with a 7500 pound rated hitch. And, yes, I do feel the H3 behind me when I go over railroad tracks or up the mountain grade, but not as bad as the Ford Class A which had more weight than the Sunseeker.

The Hummer H3 is a fantastic vehicle to tow for RV'ers. Four wheel drive, transfer case that goes into neutral, steering wheel doesn't lock when the key is removed. Can take that vehicle anywhere including 4 wheel only trails! Too bad GM dropped the Hummer line.

2016 Sunseeker 3050DS towing 2006 Hummer H3

WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I went with the SMI stay in play supplemental brake system. It mounts under the hood and the piston mounts under the dash to the brake pedal so you don't have to remove it when you want to drive. Check out their website. Also, no need for magnetic brake lights.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
I went with the SMI stay in play supplemental brake system. It mounts under the hood and the piston mounts under the dash to the brake pedal so you don't have to remove it when you want to drive. Check out their website. Also, no need for magnetic brake lights.

I really did not want to install a permanent solution. BUT, I will definately check it out, who knows, maybe I could be convinced.

Tags
f150