Old 10-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #11
RJJ

I bought my MH from a local dealer (CW). Took it in for warranty work, they kept it about 5 weeks for a 2-3 day job, the parts were pre ordered, had arrived and I had an appointment. When I got it back, the work was so substandard, I ended up redoing a lot of it myself. Found a local repair shop that doesn't sell RVs they only repair them. Finished my warranty work with them. They don't want to keep it on the lot, they want to fix it and return it to you. FR agreed that the local dealer's (CW) work was substandard and allowed me to go to the repair shop, pay them directly and FR would reimburse me. Worked great for me.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox

Old 10-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #12

for $9K I would not hesitate and take my chances. I have a friend who saved $15K by doing just that. I would never by a RV from CW.

40 Gal TransferFlow fuel tank
Amateur Radio W5CI AR-0043-29
2016 Days Camping 50
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #13
RJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
for $9K I would not hesitate and take my chances. I have a friend who saved $15K by doing just that. I would never by a RV from CW.

X2 on CW, lesson learned.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
Old 10-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #14

I would buy the motorhome from the distant dealer.

We bought out motorhome from a dealer about 150 miles away instead of the dealer who was 10 miles away because of the price and it had the colors and options we wanted. When we had a minor warranty repaid, the local dealer would not service the RV because we were not an "existing customer". At that point, we took the RV to our local Winnebago dealer who had worked on our old Winnebago and they did the work very cheaply. In my mind, even though I had that out of pocket expense I still came out far ahead.

If the dealer is giving you $9,000 savings, my guess is that even if you had a small warranty repair that you had to pay out of pocket, you would still come out far ahead.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns-Camden View Post

If the dealer is giving you $9,000 savings, my guess is that even if you had a small warranty repair that you had to pay out of pocket, you would still come out far ahead.
This ^^

Consider your savings as a fund against possible small warranty work. If it's something big, fight with FR or "Vacation" near the selling dealer.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

We bought our HTT from a Chicago dealer 2000 miles away from us.
FR found us 3 local dealers that would do the warranty work.
We saved thousands of dollars even after trip costs.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #17

Latest update

Thanks for all of the feedback. So, I called the local dealer with the distant Dealer price, and no deal - they wouldn't budge on their offer, claiming they had freight costs, etc. that they needed to cover. On to Plan B, emailed FR as well as distant Dealer requesting any places close to me that will undertake warranty / repair work. Will still likely purchase from MI Dealer, but would like the comfort of local repair shop if available. Onward and Upward.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #18
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

If you're smart, tell that local dealer to take a hike. Not sure what they're offering but, take the rule of thumb. Take the MSRP and deduct 35%. That's a good starting point. The dealer could sell a MH for 30% under MSRP and still make $$$. It's a buyers market this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #19

Update to update

Got a really nice response from FR mid-west warranty/repair guy. Made me feel much better about buying from distant dealer. Also, salesman at MI Dealer is preparing a list of local repair shops that will do work as well. So, wish me luck on my new adventure. Thanks again to everyone who gave advice. This an awesome forum and I am certain to be using it much more in the future.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #20
Lost in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
As others have already stated a local dealer may or may not perform warranty work. If it was me I would have a plan on doing the warranty work at a reasonable distance from my home prior to buying the unit from the distant dealer. Forest River or the distant dealer may be able to provide you a list of dealers or repair shops that will perform the warranty work for you. There will be warranty work just count on it.
Interesting comment. I've had 2 RV's now and neither has required ANY warranty work, well, this one does. My Fantastic fan died last trip out.

I e-mailed Atwood in Elkhart and got a response this morning. Called them and they are sending me a replacement motor and blade assembly, no charge The motor died and being the handy person I am, I pulled it out but the motor is sealed so I could not take it apart.

The young lady I talked to on the phone said they had some issues with motors... FYI for everyone.

Tags
dealer