Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 03:12 AM   #1

Do I have an inverter

I have a 2015 FR3 30 Ds and I'm going to install solar panels....

Let's put it this way.... I am going to struggle my way through it as I have no idea what I'm doing it... However, I'm gonna figure this out... Lol.

So, do I have an inverter ? And if so. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3395.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	164394will I need another one
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:33 AM   #2

Unless an inverter was added later the MH does not have one. The inverter would take power from the house batteries and "invert" it into 120V AC.
The solar panels charge the 12V house batteries, and need a charge controller for that. The two systems both connect to the batteries but have no other interaction.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
Unless an inverter was added later the MH does not have one. The inverter would take power from the house batteries and "invert" it into 120V AC.
The solar panels charge the 12V house batteries, and need a charge controller for that. The two systems both connect to the batteries but have no other interaction.

Are you speaking of the FR3 ? Or of motorhomes ? Or of fifth wheels... I'm specifically asking for the FR3. As it already has AC and Dc....So I'm assuming it has an inverter.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:54 AM   #4
OYO

Do you have AC/120 when your unit is not plugged in to AC from an outside source?

If yes, you have an inverter. If no, you do not have an inverter.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post

Let's put it this way.... I am going to struggle my way through it as I have no idea what I'm doing it... However, I'm gonna figure this out... Lol.

So, do I have an inverter ? And if so. Attachment 164394will I need another one
Not unless you have a residential fridge.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
As it already has AC and Dc....So I'm assuming it has an inverter.
Maybe these links will help, as it seems you may not fully understand RV electrical systems.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #7

12DC

Quote:

So, do I have an inverter ? And if so. Attachment 164394will I need another one
No.

FR3 12DC Wiring diagram.pdf: FR3 12DC Wiring diagram.pdf

I have purchased a Samlex EVO-2212 Watt Pure Sine Inverter/Charger to install in my battery bay. I also plan to double the batteries & add solar panels.

The EVO-2212 has an Three inputs: Shore power, Generator power and Solar power. It will output 2200 Watts.

I need to use a CPAP at night and my wife wants to be able to boondock.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
No.

FR3 12DC Wiring diagram.pdf: Attachment 164409

I have purchased a Samlex EVO-2212 Watt Pure Sine Inverter/Charger to install in my battery bay. I also plan to double the batteries & add solar panels.

The EVO-2212 has an Three inputs: Shore power, Generator power and Solar power. It will output 2200 Watts.

check you cpap power supply. Some are 12 dc volt out. Mine is 24 volt dc.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
check you cpap power supply. Some are 12 dc volt out. Mine is 24 volt dc.
I have a 12v DC adapter for my CPAP but there is no 12v DC outlets in bedroom.

(also my wife wants to watch the TV)
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #10

INverter/solar panels

I hope you have Facebook. Search for Brian Boone, or Got Solar? and look over his pages for solar boondocking. Lots of hand drawn systems and trouble shooting as well as advice from people in the know, and people who ask the sort of questions you are asking. On the pages on the left side of the screen is a section called "files". There are parts lists for small, medium, and large systems.
You can also post the nomenclature off the data plate and someone will know if it is a converter charger or just what it is.
Simple suggestion, if you have a charge controller for the panels, simply hook them up to the batteries, and start charging right away. Worry about converting to 120 later, after you check out capacities of your system as it stands.
My system was installed by Brian Boone last year, and it works perfectly, charges the batteries, and can run 120 volts AC. Can run the TV, the ice maker and charge computer and cell phones, and still have enough 12 volt to run the C-pap machines. And still have hot batteries in the morning.
During the installation, I added two 12 volt plugs on the side of the bed frame, for the C-pap machines, bought an adapter for mine, and a small inverter for the Wife's.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:

I used my CPAP in the RV for the first time a couple of nights ago. We were experiencing a power outage in our area.

I had the inverter on and batteries were fully charged. Was sleeping peacefully until about 1:30 when the inverter started sounding a “low voltage alarm.” I had to dig out the manual to know that.

We had been running the RV generator for days to power our house heater and fridge. I wanted to give it a rest in the wee hours.

But I had to start the generator to power the CPAP, had a wonderful sleep until I got a little cold at 5:30. Turned up the heat a bit and was about to go back to sleep. I noticed a text message from my wife that power was restored around 2AM. So then I had to go into the house a switch the heater and fridge back to the electric grid.

Bottom line I only got at most a couple of hours of CPAP time on my two house batteries.

I bought a portable battery pack/ jump starter for this kind of situation. It had enough juice to light up the CPAP but not enough to blow air.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #12

On my boat I could get two nights out of a series 27 battery with my cpap.

Less than a night on two batteries sounds like the converter was running or something.

Mine was a 12 volt or 110 AC cpap unit. 12-15 years ago.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
On my boat I could get two nights out of a series 27 battery with my cpap.

Less than a night on two batteries sounds like the converter was running or something.

Mine was a 12 volt or 110 AC cpap unit. 12-15 years ago.
The inverter was running and supplying power to the TV and probably other things. Nothing was on,just on standby, but the CPAP was running.

I should probably install a 12 volt outlet and get an adapter for the CPAP. Then I can leave the inverter off.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:24 AM   #14

Cpap

Quote:
No.

FR3 12DC Wiring diagram.pdf: Attachment 164409

I upgraded to twin Interstate deep cycle battery's and upgraded my converter to 40 amp, I run my Cpap all night (with a 12volt adapter) with no problem and my heater. my Honda eu2000 charges me back up in 30 to 60 minutes the next morning and I have been out boondockin for up to 10 days. I wouldn't do it without my generator tho. solar is nice it might recover if you have several large high output ones. just sayin what works for me.
Miller A_A sport 385 RLTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
I hope you have Facebook. Search for Brian Boone, or Got Solar? and look over his pages for solar boondocking. Lots of hand drawn systems and trouble shooting as well as advice from people in the know, and people who ask the sort of questions you are asking. On the pages on the left side of the screen is a section called "files". There are parts lists for small, medium, and large systems.
You can also post the nomenclature off the data plate and someone will know if it is a converter charger or just what it is.
Simple suggestion, if you have a charge controller for the panels, simply hook them up to the batteries, and start charging right away. Worry about converting to 120 later, after you check out capacities of your system as it stands.
My system was installed by Brian Boone last year, and it works perfectly, charges the batteries, and can run 120 volts AC. Can run the TV, the ice maker and charge computer and cell phones, and still have enough 12 volt to run the C-pap machines. And still have hot batteries in the morning.
During the installation, I added two 12 volt plugs on the side of the bed frame, for the C-pap machines, bought an adapter for mine, and a small inverter for the Wife's.

Thank you hankpac... Good info here... Can I ask how many watts did you install
Old 03-07-2018, 07:05 AM   #16

Currently, for convince, every electric item in an rv has some standby amperage usage!

Not like the old days when off was off. You had to wait for stuff to,warm up.

Plus inverters are not 100% efficient. There are $200 and $1000 inverters of the same output. Read specs.

With the complexity of rv's systems now, one must be very handy!

Unless you have a lot of battery capacity central inverters need to be off at bedtime. Many have a remote switch for inside the rv.

My dealer charged me $100 for a 12 volt outlet near the bed. The big inverter is off at bedtime.

The 12 volt cord for my cpap was $30.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #17

I'm very handy... Flipped three houses while my husband worked full time... Lol.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #18

Quote:

I too use a CPAP and before we took delivery, I had our dealer install a 12v plug in the bedroom near the bed so I could plug my CPAP adapter in when boondocking.

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter