Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Does anyone ?

Cover their rv after a trip or is it ever necessary. Just another ridiculous question.
Edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #2

Considering the investment I can see why you may ask. A winter grade RV cover for a 30ft motorhome is large and heavy! Hauling it up to the roof to roll it out and drape it is not a small task. Assuming you will be using the rig every four weeks or more often, I think the process would grow old very quickly. Unless you are located in a high intensity sun area like Arizona and don't plan to use it often I would not bother.

If you are in a high sun UV area you might consider a large carport.

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
Considering the investment I can see why you may ask. A winter grade RV cover for a 30ft motorhome is large and heavy! Hauling it up to the roof to roll it out and drape it is not a small task. Assuming you will be using the rig every four weeks or more often, I think the process would grow old very quickly. Unless you are located in a high intensity sun area like Arizona and don't plan to use it often I would not bother.

If you are in a high sun UV area you might consider a large carport.

2014 FR330 DS
Edmo:

Although I cover mine for the winter, just look around at RV storage sites. You'll see that only a small percentage of rigs are covered. At my storage site, there are probably 6 or 7 other RV's; mine was the only one covered this winter. So it's up to you. Lots of folks here will talk about UV, etc., but it's pretty clear to me that "most" RV owners either don't care or don't believe the expense of a cover is worth it. OR, they're ignorant of the impact of UV on their roofs.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:43 AM   #4

Edmo, not a rediculous question. Rather than a cover, You may want to put covers on your tires for protection. It's easy to do and if your MH is stored in a sunny area it does breakdown the rubber more quickly. A concern I have about the covers for RVs is that people have posted issues with straps damaging the paint of the RV if they rub on it. Enjoy your MH!
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmo View Post
Cover their rv after a trip or is it ever necessary. Just another ridiculous question.
Check out this link.

ADCO Tyvek RV Roof Cover, 30'1" to 36' - ADCO 36042 - RV Covers - Camping World

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I cover tires and air conditioner only. The EDPM roof gets a coat of UV protectant in the spring during the wash, wax, and de-winterization.

I really should wax more often to save the decals.

I have heard anecdotal stories of damaged roofs, antennas, gutters, and decals from wind flapping the cover causing abrasion wear and humidity damage from trapped moisture under the cover.

Net; Net - IMO not worth the effort and at my age falling off the roof trying to struggle with that heavy cover is not worth any possible benefit.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
Some guy in back...

I think it depends on the climate and your personal preferences and desires.
Here in Northern California, at least near the coast, very few people cover their rigs. We've RV camped for 20 years and never covered any of our rigs. We can and do camp 12 months of the year, so the our rig never sits very long before we take it out again. People that do cover their rigs do not seem to use them that often out here, but that is just my observation.

There are no rules or requirements on this. Do what seems right/best to you.

Cheers
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote