Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #1

Dometic Atwood 15032 AC Unit Stopped Working

Thanks in advance for taking a look.

Our rear Dometic Atwood 15032 AC Unit (13,500 BTU) stopped working. Here are the steps taken:

1) Turned on the unit to Cool, Auto settings. I could hear the compressor buzzing, but the fan wasn't spinning.
2) Checked the lone capacitor, wasn't bulging, tested fine. Fan spins freely.
3) Tried running just the fan, got it to work, although it was struggling. Ran on low, medium, and high speeds. I can hear the relays click.
4) Then tried the AC again, and the unit came to life, although it was struggling. Air was blowing, sometimes cold, sometimes not, and the fan was struggling. Then the whole system quit.
5) Waited a while and tried fan first - nothing.
6) Waited a while longer and tried the AC again - nothing.
7) I removed the interior shroud and inspected from below. Coils and fins look almost brand new. No obstructions, no loose wires, everything looks clean.
8) Breakers and fuses all check out fine.

The fact that I got some cold air at first leads me to believe the fan (motor) isn't operating properly, and not providing the proper circulation. Since the capacitor seemed to check out, I'm wondering if the motor has gone bad?

Also of note, I was running the generator when I was troubleshooting the operation.

2016 FR3 32D, and as far as I am aware the AC unit is original to the RV.

Thank you for your time.
dathomas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #2

I think you will come to the conclusion these are throw away units. If they fail, the cost to repair becomes the uneconomical vs buying a new unit with a full warranty. Both of our Coleman units failed within a year of each other (13.5k heat pumps). The cost to replace was $1000 each. The repair cost could not be calculated until the tech diagnosed, but his ROM was $500 if the compressor blew, or either coil sprung a leak and needed replacing, with no warranty. Nuff said. These new RV AC units are junk.
vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

FWIW our old 2003 TT AC was a 13.5 Coleman and never gave us a lick of trouble.
vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
Site Team

You said that the relays are clicking. Did you actually test the voltage at the fan? It could be a burnt contact on the relay, or it could be a bad motor.

Tags
dometic