Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

Door gas compression rod

Wandering if someone has 32ds, could they look at the gas compression on the exterior door rod and give me length and footpounds. Model# and company would be great to. The connections on mine broke and I think the kids lost the rod itself.

So my door is just swinging free at the moment.

Thanks
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #2

Here is what I ordered to replace the one on my 30DS as based on the part number of my broken one. I'm not familiar with the 32DS, but I would think they are the same.

Brand
JR Products
Item Weight
20 pounds
Product Dimensions
29.2 x 2.2 x 1 inches
Item model number
GSNI-5300-20
Manufacturer Part Number
GSNI-5300-20
Old 05-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Kicker View Post
Here is what I ordered to replace the one on my 30DS as based on the part number of my broken one. I'm not familiar with the 32DS, but I would think they are the same.

Brand
JR Products
Item Weight
20 pounds
Product Dimensions
29.2 x 2.2 x 1 inches
Item model number
GSNI-5300-20
Manufacturer Part Number
GSNI-5300-20

I found it! Thanks for taking the time, but it as was I expected, kids had moved it.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
Curiouser and Curiouser

We are having a problem with the gas prop rod simply pulling out of the housing on the end closest to front of the motorhome. Any ideas would certainly be appreciated.
Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I found that I did not like the way the door opened. If you did not hold onto it till fully opened, it would kinda slam open (especially when the g-kids opened the door and let it fly open). I talked with a few companies that made struts, gave them what was presently on the door, and they said it might be better to have a strut with lower force. We opted for a 10# force strut. Installed it and am now happy that thedoor opens slower and with less force. I purchased the strut from Future Sales in Elkhart, IN; 574-262-3688. Part# FS-125719-R. I believe the cost was around $20

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

When a gust of wind pulled mine apart, I was in the middle of nowhere doing some boondocking. I cut a small piece off of a zip tie and placed it inside the cap so that the threads on the rod caught the cap and the zip tie piece; essentially making for a tighter fit for the threads. I then screwed the rod into the cap until fairly snug. It worked, but I wouldn't consider it a long term solution.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #7

I would like to find a solution to the problem of unexpected wind gusts blowing the door open and ripping the rod out of the caps of the gas struts. I've thought about using a t-brace fixed to the door and the side of the motorhome between the front wheel and door, but I haven't seen one that I think would work.

My G-Kids are always leaving the door open, even when it is fairly windy.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
Curiouser and Curiouser

To Drivmsafe

Thank you so much for the great answer. It is exactly what we have been experiencing. I will contact the gas strut manufacturer and order the part!
Old 05-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I've kicked around the same idea Desert Kicker. I have not come up with anything. The "T" rod sounds like it might work. Just need to fine something long enough to work. Maybe a strong enough bungy cord?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 05-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
DW's 401(k) Plan

I'm thinking of adding something like this to my MH. While I'd like the door to open a little slower, this may be a solution no matter what.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #11

Gas Struts

I have replaced a few struts on my Charleston and also on hatch doors on my boat. I was able to get them at my local NAPA auto parts store. Brought them my old one for the numbers and they hooked me right up.
rickkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I'm thinking of adding something like this to my MH. While I'd like the door to open a little slower, this may be a solution no matter what.
The chain usually works on houses and buildings. It should work on RVs.

It would have to be anchored securely to the RV and the door. Wind can put alot of force on the chain, I have seen a few break where I used to work. You would need to place it so it does not interfere with people going n and out.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #13

Mine keeps coming out as well of the little black things as well, RV dealers do sell repacements. Was going to wrap a little wire around the screw point to resolve the issue.

As someone else noted, I do not think the compression rod seems to be well fitted with this door (not in size but in pressure), it is 15lb pounds of pressure, maybe it needed to be a little more..
Old 05-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #14
Curiouser and Curiouser

Thank you

Thank you. Will try AutoZone before ordering on-line- better if, as we are, on an extended road trip! Dawn
Old 05-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
Thank you. Will try AutoZone before ordering on-line- better if, as we are, on an extended road trip! Dawn
I doubt AutoZone is going to have it. Lowes or HomeDepot (I checked) do not either. You need an RV dealer for this part if you want to replace it.

NorthTrail RV here in Florida actually keeps them in stock (there is a variety to choose from) because they replace them so often.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #16
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

See my comment above. You need to lower the pressure, not increase. I was told this by the strut mfg.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 05-29-2016, 10:57 PM   #17

I had one on our Rockwood 2303KS. I thought it was a pain in the a## because the door could not be opened all the way and you had to walk around it, so I removed it and installed a T holder.
The wind caught the door on our friends Cardinal, ripped the thing off and bent the door slightly. And we've talked to a few others at camp sites who have had similar problems with them. I bought the T holder on Amazon for under $10 with shipping.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchat View Post
As someone else noted, I do not think the compression rod seems to be well fitted with this door (not in size but in pressure), it is 15lb pounds of pressure, maybe it needed to be a little more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
We opted for a 10# force strut. Installed it and am now happy that thedoor opens slower and with less force. You need to lower the pressure, not increase. I was told this by the strut mfg.
Mine failed on my 2104S last year. I agree, I went with a 10 lb strut and was much happier with it.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I had one on our Rockwood 2303KS. I thought it was a pain in the a## because the door could not be opened all the way and you had to walk around it, so I removed it and installed a T holder.
The wind caught the door on our friends Cardinal, ripped the thing off and bent the door slightly. And we've talked to a few others at camp sites who have had similar problems with them. I bought the T holder on Amazon for under $10 with shipping.
Dumb question, what is a tholder?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchat View Post
Dumb question, what is a tholder?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1464616383.499014.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	109553
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote