Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #1

Door locks

Has anyone had a problem with not being able to unlock door from the outside or worse yet not being able to open door of FR3, or any other RV from the inside ?
philv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

I carry a small can of WD40. The lock mechanism some times needs to be giggled to unlock
Have had a few instances where I had to pull in tight from he inside to unlock the deadbolt after a long bumpy drive. Mine can be flakey but I've never not been able to get in.

I only got one key for the deadbolt and one key for the latch and hey are both different key numbers. Wanting to have a spare set of keys I ordered them from a dealer and also picked up a space ignition key and grille key.

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

I got copies of all the keys from the dealer when l picked JeNNY up. Info only.

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #4

I had what was the almost worst case scenario happen to us last year on our X-Lite. It was a Friday about 2ish, my wife just finished packing the camper for our weekend of camping and locked the dead bolt, to wait till I get home. She remembered something she needed in there and blamO, the dead bolt wouldn't un- lock! The tumbler was just spinning in the door handle! She called me panicking, and I told her to call the dealer since it was only about a month old. The dealer said do what you have to, to get in, just don't damage the actual door. She tried a lot of stuff and gave up, when I got home I came prepared to drill it out and get in some how, luckily my wife had a small window she accidently left open! We got our 7 (6 at the time) year old daughter through the window and she unlocked it for us. After she got us in I tore the door latch apart and found out what it was and bypassed it for the weekend and took it to the dealer on Monday.

Problem; Turned out that there is a wire that goes from the tumbler to the actual dead bolt, and that wire had came loose from the tumbler! I just left the dead bolt assembly apart until the dealer fixed it. After that, we never ever use the dead bolt! The way I see it if a criminal wants in the camper that bad they will find a way.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #5

I never use the deadbolt. I think those cheap locks won't keep out a trespasser if they want in, but my 200 lb+ of boxers most likely will.
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, lock