Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #1

Drain problem

Am leaving the grey valve open and it seems there is something plugged somewhere in the system...let the tank I thought fill up but only a trickle comes out and registers 2/3 full.I have been thinking it's the valve...anyone with a the same problem?
lazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #2

I'm thinking some paper, and such, from the black tank may have bottlenecked into the narrower line of the gray tank. I could see that happening quite easily.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #3

It was just tricking so when I had the black water going I pulled the grey also which is a no no...but after shutting off the black the grey seemed to flow better...albeit a more of a trickle but better.I am hoping when we do move the sloshing around will clear it.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #4

I would try "filling" the gray tank, pulling the handle to let it drain. I would do this several times to dislodge the blockage. I also have an attachment for flushing the sewer line, but fear that would push nasty stuff into your gray tank. So I would only use the flush device with the gray valve closed and try and clear the blockage after the valve (The most likely place it would be)
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazbo View Post
Am leaving the grey valve open and it seems there is something plugged somewhere in the system...let the tank I thought fill up but only a trickle comes out and registers 2/3 full.I have been thinking it's the valve...anyone with a the same problem?

I stuck a hose up the outlet and tried to flush out around the valve it worked to a point but still registers 2/3full.Tried an enzyme to eat up debris....it's a work in progress...even tried to use my compressor to blow things around.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

It is probably the plastic slug from when they cut the holes in the tank, factory does not make the effort to remove them because it would take to much time, better and cheaper to let the end user deal with it on their dime.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
It is probably the plastic slug from when they cut the holes in the tank, factory does not make the effort to remove them because it would take to much time, better and cheaper to let the end user deal with it on their dime.

That being said....how the heck do you get it out?And if that's the case very poor or no craftsmanship involved in the build.I have been noticing how poor the fit and finish is after purchase but am dealing with it and improving things along the way
Old 03-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #8

I would first stuff a chunk of garden hose up the valve to try and open the hole so it will drain.

Then if it is not far the ol' coat hanger with a small hook on the end.

IF it is a straight shot then a self tapping screw on the end of a rod, try screwing it in the plastic while there is pressure on it.

IF it does work stand way back BEFORE you pull.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

If your relying on the indicator to tell you if the grey tank is empty, don't put so much faith in that. You can fill up the grey tank until is backs up in the shower. Then you know its FULL. Then pull the grey valve and see what sort of flow rate you have. When I empty a full black/grey tank, I always open the grey valve for a second to wet down the hose so nothing "sticks". Then open the black tank till empty, then close black tank, then open grey tank till empty. Just my thought process.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
If your relying on the indicator to tell you if the grey tank is empty, don't put so much faith in that. You can fill up the grey tank until is backs up in the shower. Then you know its FULL. Then pull the grey valve and see what sort of flow rate you have. When I empty a full black/grey tank, I always open the grey valve for a second to wet down the hose so nothing "sticks". Then open the black tank till empty, then close black tank, then open grey tank till empty. Just my thought process.

That is what I do usually...but when we are camping for say a few months I tend to leave the grey valve open with no problems till now...and when we do move close it off for a couple of days to fill up and do the black then grey.Was thinking of re-plumbing the grey valve and outlet if this continues!

Tags
drain