Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #1

Drill Recommendation Please (2018 FR3 29DS)

Getting the last of our “must have” equipment together for Geaux Meaux (our RV name). Several times I have seen it recommended to carry a drill in case you have to raise or lower jacks manually. First, is that correct? Second, if so, what drill do you recommend. Third, along with a drill, is are there any particular bits that are needed? Advice appreciated. Still a newbie, so I’m learning.
2018 FR3 29DS
Thankful, Grateful & Blessed
GeauxMimiGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #2

FIRST !!! See if you need a special socket to run the jacks manually. Some do....some don't. I bought a "Cheap" Tool Shop cordless from Menards. Two years and I've never used it yet.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #3

Any decent 18 volt or above cordless drill works fine. Camco 57363 3/4" socket fits most jacks.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Levelin...ateway&sr=8-13

Speaking of tools, make sure that you have the proper size lug nut wrench for the trailer wheels, as well as some kind of jack. Often your tow vehicle's jack will do, but verify before you travel.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:46 PM   #4

Is this for scissor jacks. Mine don’t look like that. They are the hydraulic LCI auto leveling jacks. Newbie question alert: if my jacks fail, would the process be the same?
2018 FR3 29DS
Thankful, Grateful & Blessed
GeauxMimiGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #5

Milwaukee.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Most hydraulic units use a hex adapter to operate the pump manually. You need to look at yours in order to make sure you get the right drill adapter.

I looked at a couple manuals online and they took ¼" hex adapters.

As for the drill, I tell everybody that if you have a brand that you already have batteries and chargers for, use that brand. That saves you from having to stock and maintain different batteries and charging systems.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxMimiGo View Post
Getting the last of our “must have” equipment together for Geaux Meaux (our RV name). Several times I have seen it recommended to carry a drill in case you have to raise or lower jacks manually. First, is that correct? Second, if so, what drill do you recommend. Third, along with a drill, is are there any particular bits that are needed? Advice appreciated. Still a newbie, so I’m learning.

Use what you have if 18 Volt or better. If buying new I highly recommend Ryobi from Home Depot. They last forever and the batteries fit a number of other useful tools by Ryobi. And, even better if your battery will no longer charge, take it back to Home Depot for a replacement, free. Now, all you naysayer experts. Have a ball with that fact. I have received three new batteries over the years.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
D W

Quote:
Is this for scissor jacks. Mine don’t look like that. They are the hydraulic LCI auto leveling jacks. Newbie question alert: if my jacks fail, would the process be the same?
If you have the Lippert Jacks with the cross (shear) pin you're probably going to need one of these sockets for your drill:

https://www.rvautoparts.com/48-97907...CABEgKnw_D_BwE
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #9

Since the drills won't be used as often as your shop bits, and certainly not at a professional job use frequency you don't need to get all name brand stuff. I've found that an assorted set of drill bits, sockets and other tools from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. takes care of most everything when putting together a road kit for your rig. If you want to load and unload every time you can just take your garage/shop tools. Some of the el cheapo tools are just not comfortable to use or don't really fit the bill for working. I have found some of the el cheapo electric meters, continuity testers, etc. can't always be trusted and relied upon, so I don't get the cheapest thing out there. If I can't drop it and it survive then I won't take it.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #10

Any battery drill is helpful. Good to have around.

The most important tool is a square drive screwdriver! $5 at Lowe’s.

And a battery monitor/voltmeter. Batteries are a pain. The weakest link in the 12 volt system.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #11

Tools

I am another believer in Ryobi tools Make sue you have a 1/2 inch drill,18 volt. I have used Ryobi for 15 years never replace a battery. All are warranty for 3 years and will replace if anything goes wron.
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #12

Bosch PS31-2A and get the adapter
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
If you have the Lippert Jacks with the cross (shear) pin you're probably going to need one of these sockets for your drill:

https://www.rvautoparts.com/48-97907...CABEgKnw_D_BwE
Didn't you read his post that you quoted? He said he has hydraulic jacks.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #14
Happy Camper

Even though my drill is strong, I carry a 1/2" drive ratchet and needed socket when extra jack force is needed to level on a poorly graded site.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #15

Checkout this product on Amazon:
Camco RV Leveling Scissor Jack Socket Drill Adapter With 1/4" Quick Connect Shank, Works With All 3/4" Hex Drive Jacks - 48865
I think that's what you're looking for.

Jim
Jabrennan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabrennan2 View Post
Checkout this product on Amazon:
Camco RV Leveling Scissor Jack Socket Drill Adapter With 1/4" Quick Connect Shank, Works With All 3/4" Hex Drive Jacks - 48865
I think that's what you're looking for.

Jim
Please read his post folks. He has a motor home with LCI hydraulic jacks. He is not in need of a cheap socket to move a screw jack.

I believe what he is referencing that he has heard is the method to use a quarter inch hex bit in a drill motor to run his hydraulic motor in case of a power failure. If that is indeed the case, I always take an 18 volt Dewalt lithium ion battery drill motor with me. The battery will stay up for months without needing a recharge and it will run long enough to run your hydraulic motor to get your jacks and slides ready to roll. The hex fitting is right in the end of the hyd motor, in the center.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Please read his post folks. He has a motor home with LCI hydraulic jacks. He is not in need of a cheap socket to move a screw jack.

I believe what he is referencing that he has heard is the method to use a quarter inch hex bit in a drill motor to run his hydraulic motor in case of a power failure. If that is indeed the case, I always take an 18 volt Dewalt lithium ion battery drill motor with me. The battery will stay up for months without needing a recharge and it will run long enough to run your hydraulic motor to get your jacks and slides ready to roll. The hex fitting is right in the end of the hyd motor, in the center.
Nobody read anymore? You are right, also good to have a flex shaft as I see he likely has the cable type slide outs which use the same hex bit but a flex shaft is necessary in the event the slide outs have to be moved manually.

My unit came with two flex shafts and bits.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Correct, you need a drill with 1/4 inch hex bit. If you don't have a manual you can download one. Instructions are there. Also recommend downloading slide out manual, you may need to bring that in or out manually some day.

Did you buy new? If so, flexible drill shaft and bit should be included. Found mine in the fridge and wondered for a long time what they were for.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:51 PM   #19

If you don't already have a battery from another tool, I really like my Black and Decker Matrix. It has interchangeable heads. I have a bag set up with the standard drill which is 200-800 rpm, a 3000 rpm impact driver, and my favorite, an air pump that works quite well.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...1313&s=gateway

Costs a bit more than a cheap drill, but saves a lot of spaces not having a separate air pump. It has come in handy quite often.
Miskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #20

I'm going to go against most of the suggestions here. A battery operated drill is great if you remember to keep the batteries charged. The OP has an FR3 so it will almost always have power available either through hook-up or generator.
I have a Milwaukee battery operated drill but also carry a corded one to use if the need arises.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3