Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 12:16 AM   #1

Driver and Passenger Seats Uncomfortable

After sitting in the driver and passenger seats for several hours, we've discovered them to become quite uncomfortable. It seems that your butt constantly scoots forward on every road bump. With this your back slouches downward, and you end up sitting on the upper part of the sacrum. I find it necessary to continually scoot back and sit up. On a long trip, this repeated cycle becomes quite annoying. Has anyone run into this problem and discovered a solution? If you have, please let us know about it. Thanks.
dscha0549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #2

Had the same problem, now I'm using after market seat cushions that come with a lumbar support pillow. No sliding any more, plus they keep my back from hurting and are much cooler in hot weather. I spent about 30 bucks each on them.

On long trips, though, you are still going to get uncomfortable unless you stop and walk around once in a while.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #3

My DW had the same issues when we first got our 30DS. She tried using a foam seat wedge, but the didn't help much. So I added 1/2 inch spacers (washers) to the forward mounting bolts on each seat (you also have to use longer bolts). It's amazing the difference it made. She doesn't slide down and out anymore. I also built an elevated foot platform that allows her feet to touch sufficiently enough to get her knees positioned above her waistline. This position relieves pressure at the lower back area. I also placed a piece of 2x8 board on the floor in front of the drivers seat. This puts my legs/knees in a much more comfortable position when driving and doesn't interfere with brake pedal or gas pedal operation.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5 w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 70, 2020 - 32, 2021 - 16
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #4

I also had the same issue. I added four washers under both front bolts on the passenger seat frame. Big difference! I'm 5'9'', on the drivers side I took out the two spaces out on the frame so I can reach the gas pedal comfortably.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortMi View Post
I also had the same issue. I added four washers under both front bolts on the passenger seat frame. Big difference! I'm 5'9'', on the drivers side I took out the two spaces out on the frame so I can reach the gas pedal comfortably.
Please explain “ two spaces on the frame”.

Did you shorten the seat base two inches?

Want to apply these fixes and need more info!

Michael
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #6

Hi,
There were a couple of discussions a while back.

Here is the power conversion I did.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...r3-150035.html

This was a discussion about lowering the base and adding washers to the front to rock the seat back a bit.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-136965.html

Hope it helps.
Ken
Old 10-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #7

I had the same problem on our 1st trip, I'm 5'7". We stop at a Wal-Mart and I found a lumbar cushion that help a lot and move seat closer to steering wheel this got my feet flat on the ground.
jeff hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #8

It could be you are a little more tense driving a bigger vehicle than you are used to!
Frameman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #9

When you get used to it . I becomes more comfortable . Unless you are a big rig driver they can be intimidating !
Frameman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #10

So I'm 6'3" and running into a different issue... I sit up too high that the seatbelt does not come across me properly. It sits low on my arm below my shoulder and I'm constantly pulling it up or slouching to try and get it to come across my shoulder properly.

I would love to move the seatbelt assembly up the wall an inch or two but not sure if that's moveable... My next idea was to drill something above that would just hold the seatbelt up an inch or so. Beyond that, the other idea is to somehow lower the seat.

Anyone else with this issue/discomfort?
Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:00 AM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	193409Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0974.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	193410
This is my solution. I installed Legacy Air Ride Seats. They have heat, and several modes of vibration, lumbar and high back adjustments. They make travel much more comfortable, as compared with stock seats. I did need to install a onboard compressor for the air ride operation.
Regards
Ken
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #12

Seats

Yea mine is also I’m going to remove the seats cut 1 1/2 off east in the middle of the stand and buy a square tube 1/4” thick so it will fit over or in the stand and then I will tap some bolts in the side to hold it in place. That way if I want a little more it’s a easy redo.
Iankerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #13

Question Adnik 7" Tall Swivel Seat Pedestal?

Has anybody tried Trucknvans Truck Accessories & Van Parts?

They sell Adnik 7" Tall Swivel Seat Pedestal. They have Free Ground Shipping is for the Continental USA. (does not include Alaska)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adnik 7 Tall Swivel Seat Pedestal.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	195292

I have not measured the bolt pattern but it is 3" lower. I called them and shipping to Alaska is about $60.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #14

Just fixed mine

I removed the seats cut the tube removed 2” of tube I then cut a 2 7/8 with a 3/16 wall pipe to the right height. I had to bring the outside of the pipe so it would fit snugly into the tube then put the top and bottom together. Added a bolt on each end that secured the seat. Then added a 9/16 wood filler order the front part. Reinstalled it and what a difference feels like I’m driving a car. It’s perfect.the passenger seat took me about a day. I played with the measurements and ended up with 1 3/4 out of the pipe with a 5/8 filler to change the seat level. It’s ok because my wife likes to put her feet on the dash and any lower would not work. The driver side I took a full 2 to 2 1/8 out of the height and a smaller shim on the front. I found it put the Windowes exactly were I like them and the gas pedal and break ended up aligned like my car. The turning of the seat to face the cab is so much easer as there is more room between the seat and the wheel. The driver seat I had done in about 4 hours from install to reinstall really nothing to it. I took some picks I can post if anyone would like them. I was thinking of cutting and welding but I was afraid of changing the angle of the seat which would really screw things up so I milled a pipe. I don’t know why they don’t fix them in the factory other than the more expensive units feel better off the lot.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #15

I posted pics

I plaster som pics and instructions under seat fix