Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

Driver's Seat

Has anyone been able to turn it fully around to face the cabin? I hit the steering wheel.
JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #2

Nope. I always it the steering wheel, too.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I had no trouble at all turning the seat around to face the galley. Just need to make sure the seat is far back before attempting. This is one of the pluses for me.
drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Director, FROG

I don't know what kind of unit you have, but over the years on two Sportscoaches and a Berkshire we've had to do various combinations of: 1) slide the seat all the way back; 2) put the seat back in an upright position; 3) tilt the steering wheel up.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy View Post
Has anyone been able to turn it fully around to face the cabin? I hit the steering wheel.
Try this, raise the steering wheel all the way up, rotate the seat to the right, just before it hits the wheel, slide it all the way back, then tilt the back rest all the way forward guiding the left arm rest under the wheel. With the back rest as far down as it will go and the arm under the wheel, slide the seat forward. It will rub slightly against the wheel. Easier to do by getting in behind it. Rotate the seat and raise the back rest and you should be good.
socalrcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Motoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
I had no trouble at all turning the seat around to face the galley. Just need to make sure the seat is far back before attempting. This is one of the pluses for me.
Ha ha, very funny. No, the drivers seat will not turn around and there is no way to slide it back. It only rotates. There are no levers to adjust the seats forward or backwards.

The drivers side seat is just as shown in the brochure, with the steering wheel in the left hand armrest and the seat doesn't turn but only a little.

The passenger side does turn around only enough only to face the door.

Grotto
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Motoring

It will not turn around all the way and that is what I see looking at the brochure... BUT you can see the TV comfortably from this seat if a movies on. It's a crossover and still really cool. The other seat will turn around enough to be useful, but it can't see the TV, great for sitting and talking though.

Don't let it hold you back, the FR3 has a lot to offer as a great value!

Grotto
Old 10-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #8

Since I posed the original question, I can now report that both seats do, in fact, rotate and face the back. It just takes some finesse and a piece if plastic so that the steering wheel doesn't scrape the seats when turning the seat.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I just went back yesterday to have another look at the FR3. I'm wondering if grotto69 has the 25DS because in the 30DS the seat turns without any difficulty. It has 2 levers under the seat. 1 to move forward and back, the other to rotate. There is also a lever on the left side to recline the back. If you have 30DS and you don't have any levers, I be calling somebody to get it corrected.
drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I found a easy method to turn the drivers seat in my Georgetown. When I get ready to turn the seat, I crank the vehicle so the power steering will allow the turning of the steering wheel. When the seat hits the wheel, I turn the wheel which allows to the seat to rotate. A little unorthodox, but it works.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
Motoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
I just went back yesterday to have another look at the FR3. I'm wondering if grotto69 has the 25DS because in the 30DS the seat turns without any difficulty. It has 2 levers under the seat. 1 to move forward and back, the other to rotate. There is also a lever on the left side to recline the back. If you have 30DS and you don't have any levers, I be calling somebody to get it corrected.
I do have 30 DS, but only the lever to rotate and the lever to recline. I agree that something is different about our seats. I was wondering if ours were mounted too closely to the wheel. We'll go out next weekend and I'll fool around with it again, just in case I'm missing something.

Thanks - Grotto
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto69 View Post
I do have 30 DS, but only the lever to rotate and the lever to recline. I agree that something is different about our seats. I was wondering if ours were mounted too closely to the wheel. We'll go out next weekend and I'll fool around with it again, just in case I'm missing something.

Thanks - Grotto
Yours might be like mine. The forward-back adjuster is in the front, WAY under the cushion. Took me a while to find it. Recline is on the left side bolster, rotate is under the right side bolster near the seatbelt.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto69 View Post
I do have 30 DS, but only the lever to rotate and the lever to recline. I agree that something is different about our seats. I was wondering if ours were mounted too closely to the wheel. We'll go out next weekend and I'll fool around with it again, just in case I'm missing something. Thanks - Grotto
I'm sure yours are like ours..... There is a fore-aft seat adjustment, it's buried, impossible to find, and I am afraid I'm going to lose a finger every time I use it. I'm thinking it's on the left side of the drivers seat behind the vinyl drape that hangs down.
It's a pain and really stiff to move but it does work.
Cowboy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
Motoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy bob View Post
I'm sure yours are like ours..... There is a fore-aft seat adjustment, it's buried, impossible to find, and I am afraid I'm going to lose a finger every time I use it. I'm thinking it's on the left side of the drivers seat behind the vinyl drape that hangs down.
It's a pain and really stiff to move but it does work.
AWESOME, this did the trick! You were correct about the location of slide lever, it is very small indeed. With that ability I was able to turn the seat around no problem!! Thanks everyone, I think that's a good first timer RV lesson for me. It's important to take time to think through the problem at hand, and don't assume anything... keep looking... keep thinking through the solution.

Thanks all.

Grotto
Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #15

We looked at the FR3 and the salesman could not turn the seat all the way around. Yet his brochure showed it turned to face the living area. Still like this model for an upgrade from our sunseeker.
Jean & Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #16

It takes practice. The seat has to be all the way back withe the steering wheel all the way up.

I then use a piece of plastic next to the steering wheel and I carefully turn the seat with the arm rests all the way down.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #17

I have the 30 DS, and can get both seats to face backwards. However, to get the driver's seat to completely rotate, I do have to go through a contortion, which I can never remember, having to do with sliding it forward, tilting the back all the way forward, making sure the wheel is up as far as possible, etc., and then it still requires squeezing the left arm rest of the seat against the steering wheel to get it all the way around. It's a pain and I'm sure will ultimately damage that left arm rest.

My solution is that I don't turn the driver's seat all the way around. It's just me and the cats, so I turn the two seats to face each other for the cats to have their little 'conversation' nook.

Barbara
2014 FR3 30 DS - bought September 2013
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
I have the 30 DS, and can get both seats to face backwards. However, to get the driver's seat to completely rotate, I do have to go through a contortion, which I can never remember, having to do with sliding it forward, tilting the back all the way forward, making sure the wheel is up as far as possible, etc., and then it still requires squeezing the left arm rest of the seat against the steering wheel to get it all the way around. It's a pain and I'm sure will ultimately damage that left arm rest.

My solution is that I don't turn the driver's seat all the way around. It's just me and the cats, so I turn the two seats to face each other for the cats to have their little 'conversation' nook.

Barbara
2014 FR3 30 DS - bought September 2013
You need to speak your mothers maiden name three times while burning an act of congress certification form signed by your dealer in blood.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

You need to speak your mothers maiden name three times while burning an act of congress certification form signed by your dealer in blood.

Can't we just burn congress instead?
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMaster View Post
Can't we just burn congress instead?
Might as well go for the IRS while we're at it...
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote