Old 02-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #11

How much did the dealers charge you to install the fans?

PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #12

I had them installed as part of my offer to buy. They agreed and still came in $4000 less than the next closest dealer.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #13

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the additional info. We are still anxiously waiting for our new camper to get here. Should be here by mid-March if everything is on schedule. At this point, we have no idea what equipment they will include on it. All we know is that it is supposed to have all the optional features in addition to whatever standard equipment it comes with. Forest River has obviously changed their list of standard things several times. The one I read was the one that was on the website on 1/31/14 which appear to be the latest changes. Will let you know when it gets here what came on it. I am sure we will be very happy with it & are already planning several trips with it.
Grandma99
Grandma99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #14

Fan Cost

PhotoMaster, we had three fantastic fans installed (main cabin, bathroom and bedroom). There are different models. Our can both push air out and pull it in (reversible). I believe our dealer installed all of them for $900. We also put smoke-colored covers over all of them so we could run the fans while moving or while it's raining.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #15

Just went to the local scales and total weight with loaded camper, full fuel tank, full propane tank, driver (me), empty water and holding tanks. Weighed in at 16,140 total and 10,260 rear. That would give me 5,880 front (by subtraction). I have to look at my stickers but think I'm relatively good. I need to figure my tire pressures now that I added my extended (135) valve stems for my dually's. I need to figure how close I'll be since I'll be pulling a 900lb trailer with two 300lb scooters (1,500 lbs total) with tongue weight approximately 150 lbs.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #16

We weighed our camper with only full fuel & propane. Couldn't get individual axles on the scales we were using, but did get front & rear axles:
Front - 5760
Rear - 9960
The total of the entire camper = 15,720. That should give us plenty of carrying capacity for the amount of stuff we usually carry.
Grandma99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #17

My next question is pertaining to the weight vs tire capacity. My tires are 245/70R29.5 and the max load capacity is 4540lbs (single) and 4410lbs (dual). If my front weight is 5580, is it figured as 2799/tire? Since the rear weight is 10260, is it figured as 2565/tire? This is new to me, but this is my guess work. Otherwise I'd be over weight right from the factory.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #18

This is my chart and I am now thoroughly confused!

If my front weight is 5,580 lbs divided over the two front tires would be about 2,940 lbs per tire, which is lower than what appears on the chart. Since the rear weight is 10,260 lbs divided over four tires (two duallies) would be about 2,565 lbs per tire which again is lower than any value that appears on the chart.

My logic on this is obviously wrong somehow and I am clueless as to what information I am missing. If I don't divide the weight by the number of tires, I am way overweight right off the assembly line without putting anything in the coach at all. If I do divide by the number of tires I am so underweight the chart doesn't apply! My post this morning got no replies, so I'm reposting now with more information.

EDIT: I just noticed the next line in the chart is for the newer versions of this tire, which changes the air pressure but still doesn't provide a solution to my problem.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #19

Yes, divide by number of tires. It would be really tough to get the weight skewed so far to overload one of them. You would definitely notice something like that.

The chart you posted is the max weight per pressure. If you run them at the 85psi that FR recommends, the tires will support more than the axles are rated for. The tires are overkill for this application like I previously posted, but thats NOT a bad thing. What it gets you is headroom for inflation and stiffer sidewalls to prevent walking, wandering etc.

Ill take an overrated tire thats inflated properly and run at 80% of its capacity like we are doing versus a marginal tire thats run at 100% of its capacity. I have load range D tires on my trailer even though load range C is sufficient. Why? D has more ply, theyre stiffer, and they are smoother. And Ive had a LOT less issues than others I know that tow frequently with their C range tires at the limit. Same reason I have load range E tires on a 1/2 ton truck, even though a P tire would be fine. Again, no towing issues with that either.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #20

Thank you cucamelsmd15. I was thinking of going with the recommended pressure, but again wasn't sure because of the weight differences.

Thanks again!

Tags
weight