Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Question Electric step operation

Just got my FR3, and noticed that when I turned the engine off, the electric steps wouldn't retract when the door closed. I was not hooked up to any power at the time - just parked it in my driveway.

Are the steps supposed to only work with the MH running? Do they work when on generator or shore power?

Side note, does anyone know of an online manual for the FR3 specifically? I looked at forest river, and only found a general Class A manual.

Going to be learning a lot about this coach in the next few weeks. I have a major trip starting on March 23rd and want to be comfortable with it by then.
rms62003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

There should be a blue switch below your pantry. If it is turned on it will leave the stairs down. Flip the switch off.

MSG (Ret)
U.S. Army
Active-duty 66-92
2015 FR3 30DS
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpo1123 View Post
There should be a blue switch below your pantry. If it is turned on it will leave the stairs down. Flip the switch off.
X2

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
from Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms62003 View Post
Just got my FR3, and noticed that when I turned the engine off, the electric steps wouldn't retract when the door closed. I was not hooked up to any power at the time - just parked it in my driveway.

Are the steps supposed to only work with the MH running? Do they work when on generator or shore power?
Like was said above. Check the small toggle switch at steps. One mode locks it out to stop it from retracting each time you close or open the door.

FYI, Even in that mode it will automatically retract when you put it in gear.

Quote:
Side note, does anyone know of an online manual for the FR3 specifically? I looked at forest river, and only found a general Class A manual.

Going to be learning a lot about this coach in the next few weeks. I have a major trip starting on March 23rd and want to be comfortable with it by then.
That was the first thing I looked for... I don't think any such animal exists. :/
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #5

Quote:
The documentation that came with our unit is just a hodgepodge of vendor manuals. Nothing specifically written for our Model. This forum is your best bet for info.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #6

On our 2015 30DS FR3, the step switch is located on the same panel as your battery disconnect switch - just inside your coach at the inside steps, on the left side as you enter the coach. It's good to leave the steps out when you're parked dry camping or on shore power... that saves wear and tear on the steps going in and out and saves on your house batteries when dry camping.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #7

Our 28ds has a switch by the door. When switched on the stairs stay out as long as the motor is off. As soon as we start the coach the steps retract unless the door is open. Look by the door to see if you have a stairs switch.
drewandjason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric