Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #1

Electrical and Dealer Issues - 2014.5 FR3 30DS

Here's a note I sent to Forest River warranty support tonight detailing my electrical and dealer issues with my 2 week old 2014.5 FR3 30DS. I'd be interested to know others' feedback with similar issues, or working with the dealer to get things resolved.

*** Begin Email ***

I picked up my 2014 FR3 30DS from Colerain RV in Indianapolis 2 weeks ago and drove it back to Houston, Texas. I bought out of state because there is only 1 Forest River dealer in the Houston area, and they could not get the unit I wanted.

I called Ron Hoover RV today, and they are about 1 month out on service appointments. They are upfront about helping their customers 1st, then major issues 2nd, which puts me and my new coach last. I'm hoping Forest River can arrange for service with another shop for me so I can enjoy my purchase.

Here is a list of issues since delivery 2 weeks ago:

Camera LCD Monitor Drains Battery - Colerain RV could not get the backup camera working, so they ran a new 12V wire. This drains chassis battery, so the unit is not drivable without a jump start after sitting for a short time. I believe the dash radio also stays on all the time, and has to be manually powered off.

Battery Boost Does Not Work - When battery was dead, tried to use battery boost. I heard clicking under dash and in battery bay, but would not start engine. Ran jumper cables from chassis battery to house battery to jump. This could leave me stranded, requiring a call to Coachnet or Good Sam for a 1-2 hour wait for roadside assistance.

House Battery Disconnect does not work - Switch simply rocks back and forth (spring loaded), and stays lit unless pressed. It has no effect on house power. It seems perhaps the wrong type of switch is installed and should not be spring loaded. This could run the entire system down, causing LP detector alarms or no 12V when needed.

Power steps switch does not work - You can turn the switch off or on (lit up), but has no effect on the steps. They continue to extend/retract regardless of switch position. The motor/mechanism could be subject to over use, and a possible safety issue with the steps not being extended when needed in a hurry or while parked/camping.

Front Shade Programming/Power Issue - Upon delivery, shade would not go all the way down, stopped only at the short stop point about 10 inches down. This happens with and without ignition on. Forest river support and United Shade sent me programming instructions. Took driver side pillar cover off, and proceeded to program with and without ignition. I can now get the shade to go all the way down to the long stop (even while driving). Seems it is not wired correctly to not allow the short stop to be set with ignition on. I think it has constant 12V like the radio and camera monitor. This would appear to be a potential safety/liability issue.

Please get back to me as soon as possible to let me know what can be done.

*** End Email ***
2010 Coleman Evolution E3 (Popup TH)
2011 Keystone Cougar 325SRX (5th Wheel TH)
2008 K-Z MXT 266 (Bumper TH)
adamrayburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #2

You've definitely have some electrical gremlins going on. That battery draining is a major one. The suck part about this is looks like you will have to wait your turn to get your issues repaired. I had some issues with mine also as did almost everyone on this forum. It does suck big time but once your issues are repaired you will get to enjoy your new coach.

There's another thread on here about buying at your local dealer. This situation is the negative side of not doing so. But I do understand you wanted a particular model and your local FR dealer didn't stock it. So don't think I am saying you did anything wrong.

Have some patience, it will get fixed sooner or later. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #3

Stay on FR about this! We did not like the service our dealership provides.... Bad reviews and our own bad experience with them. FR found a local RV repair shop, not affiliated with any dealerships. We had a food experience going to a place that the sole purpose is RV repairs and maintenance. I'd say find a place like that near you, and ask FR to allow warranty work to be done there. It's also a much faster turn around time!

Good luck!
Pammyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #4

I've owned three motorhomes with my FR3 being the first I purchased brand new. I would expect the issues you describe on an older unit as things corrode and loosen. Two local dealers could not get me the FR3-30 I wanted and both told me how warranty works. It is sad but true you buy from them you get priority. Fortunately I can fix anything on a motorhome so I just do it myself. I recommend you find a good local car mechanic with good electrical troubleshooting skills and a single fix might solve all your issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
nhsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, dealer, electric, electrical