Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #1

Electrical problems FR3

We are new to RVing. Purchased a 2017 FR3 in December
We are having issues with fuses, headlights, etc. also the shocks are rather pitiful. When we had the oil changed, our mechanic said his Suburban has better shocks than this RV!
We have called our dealer (rather useless) and they tell us this is not an RV problem but a Ford Problem.
The fuses keep blowing out on the 12 volt outlets. The lights behind dash are not working. The unit seems to be drawing from alternator when driving instead of truck battery. Headlights are dim when driving unless we are excellerating and then they brighten and flicker

Since our RV dealer is rather useless we are unsure what to do. Do we take to another RV dealer or to a Ford dealer. We called a Ford dealer and they said they can't handle an RV.

SUGGESTIONS????

freddie2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #2

Thumbs up Feel your pain

Ok if the lights in dash are out its a ford problem. make sure the dimmer for dash lights is rotated to the up position.
Head light s from FR are not good and they will replace them. ( see other post) But if they are dim then bright Sounds like a ground problem. ( Ford)

Shocks are pretty good but all FR3 need Cheap handling fix . which is adjusting front and rear sway bars to stiffer settings. ( see post on chf )

Ford says sway bar fr problem fr says ford problem. But it needs to be done. You can do it your self its ez. see post.
On mind i add on timbren rubber lifts on all four corners of front and rear axles . but the chf makes a world of difference .
You need to find a ford dealer who will work on f-53 chassis ,call Ford number in manual.

Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #3

Any unit should run off the alternator not the battery. Sounds to me like a ground issue or an alternator problem.
jhcriscuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #4

All so call forestriver they are pretty good helping out . I dont have number but it should be on sticker inside of rv in cabinets '
Old 06-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #5

Electrical issues fr3

We cannot locate the Fuses for 12 volt outlets. They don't seem to be in fuse panel under the bed. Our mechanic replaced the first time this happened. We want to figure out WHY they keep blowing out. All we had plugged in was a Garmin
Old 06-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Unhappy Fuse

The fuse for 12 volt plugs should be in the ford fuse panel under the drivers side dash or panel out side drivers side.
But they could all so be buy coach battery in line holders. They are where fr put them, but not in back for sure.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #7

Not sure what you mean by running off alternator ? But it sounds like a ground problem see where battery grounds to frame and there a few more small grounds up front you can check . Make sure battery cables are not lose.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #8

What I mean is once your engine is started you can disconnect your battery and the vehicle will still run. That is an old way of testing if your alternator is working. Don't recommend doing that have Ford test it for you
jhcriscuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:46 AM   #9

Problem ???

Well Freddie how did you make out, Like to know if problems fix .
Dont disconnect Battery cables when engine running this could and would take out engine computer with voltage spike.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #10

We haven't had a chance to get fixed yet. Looking for a ford dealer who works on trucks. I will say our RV dealer has lost a customer. Eager to make sale but short on customer service
Old 07-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #11

Electrical problems FR3

Forest River has a FR3 rep. He was very helpful with us getting issues resolved on our 2015. The rep gave us repair facility options and stayed on top of it via email. He'll make it clear they won't reimburse you for loss of use or gas which was annoying because we weren't looking for that, but otherwise helpful. Our dealer was useless also.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/ContactUs.aspx
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie2017 View Post
We cannot locate the Fuses for 12 volt outlets. They don't seem to be in fuse panel under the bed. Our mechanic replaced the first time this happened. We want to figure out WHY they keep blowing out. All we had plugged in was a Garmin
I blew the fuses on both 12 volt outlets in the dash also with my Garmin. I opened the dash (6 screws) to find the fuses. They are two 7.5A inline fuses.
See pictures: (The dash is turned over to work on)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170701_175316[1].jpg
Views:	187
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	143565

Name:	20170701_175327[1].jpg
Views:	191
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	143566

I tighten-up the both outer-casings that were loose. I hope that is the reason the fuses blew. I also think 7.5A is to small for a 12 volt outlet. It would blow if I plugged in a 100 watt Inverter.

I also did some checking to verify the power source. They are powered from front chassis battery. I need to install some 12 volt outlets powered from the house batteries. I have to use a 175 watt Inverter to charge my laptop.
Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger| 400ah Battle Born LiFePO4 | Victron BMV-712 & MPPT 100/50 | 800W Renogy Solar | Fan-Tastic Fans | Blue Ox TruCenter | Dometic 320 | SnapPads | Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #13
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

There are 2 fuse boxes that are powered by the chassis battery. One is located under the dash to the left of the steering column. The other is under the hood behind the air cleaner.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #14

I just ordered 2 resettable circuit breakers from Iboats.com
The part # is 4308081. @ $3.71 each . I will install one for each 12 volt outlet They will be mounted in a drilled hole on the black plastic panel above each of the 12 volt outlets.

Easy to reset if ever tripped. These are 8 amp rated & the original blade fuses are 7.5 amp, so I think that is close enough.

Bob
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #15

12 V fuses are all over the place - in our 2015 FR3: panel across from bed in rear, inline fuses directly connected to the house batteries, fuses in the engine compartment and under the dash. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #16

I have tried searching Iboats.com for the part number but it comes back unknown. Is there a manufacturer name for these resettable fuses? Maybe I can find them on Google. Did this solution work out for you, Is this a spade fuse or glass or some type of fuse block that FR originally installed? Going over to my RV storage tomorrow to try getting the panels out.
sab1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #17

Call iboats and ask for the part number of the SEADOG Marine resettable 8 amp circuit breaker. You can find them on the website under the MARINE PANEL circuit breaker pages. I believe it is on the 2 nd page in this section. You will need to use the drop down menus to select the 8amp circuit breaker
Old 10-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #18

Here is a screen shot of the breaker
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C97E1534-58F0-43A5-BFFC-E8F280F599B2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	190221  
Old 11-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #19

Anything to do with the Chassis is a Ford issue. Forest River is quick to tell you that. We live in Mobile and luckily found a dealer that can work on our FR3. It's hit or miss and might have to take it out of town. I had an issue with a tie rod and the dealer here could not lift it up so Ford reinbursed me for the repair. Also call Ford customer service and have them find a dealer that can help you. Be presistant. I asked to be put in touch with a supervisor when the girl I was talking with said she didn't know Ford made motorhomes. The chassis is a F53 and they build a lot of trucks on it too.Your problem should be pretty easy to diagnose. It wouldn't require the dealer to necessarily pull it in to the shop. Sounds like it could be a bad alternator or something as simple as a bad ground.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:41 AM   #20

Thanks K Bob, found them along with others on Amazon. Ended up getting one like yours and a resetable fuse that fits the existing fuse holder. Also replaced one of the ports with a USB quick charger and put in an on/off switch since the power is always on to avoid battery drain. I'll add a photo of the final install once I remember how.

sab1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, fr3