Old 05-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #1

Entry Door in the Wind

Has anyone dealt with the issue of the entry door getting caught by a gust of wind? Mine will pull the door closer out of it's socket and then the door bangs against the awning. I saw a thread where a guy with a travel trailer screwed strapping from the top of the door to the inside of the door frame. Would this work on the FR3? Is there a better solution?

Old 05-26-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

The strut they use from the factory is pretty cheap IMHO. I went online and found one that allows the entry door to open slower. True, it doesn't take care of the wind problem but it does eliminate the door from opening so fast and stops the stress on the strut (I hope I've explained this correctly &#128533. Im looking into making up a strap that I could put on and remove easily when the door is open so it won't hit the awning arm.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #3

Entry Door in the Wind

I am very curius to see wath you will come up with
Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #4

If your door is hitting the awning arm it is already bent. I went and bought a door kick plate at Lowes and cut it to fit the entry door and a large clamp, then removed the strut and brackets and put the clamp on the door to squeeze it back square, then riveted the kick plate to the door, reinstalled the strut and brackets. I also replaced the bottom hinge screws with #10 X 1/2" Phillips because the originals had pulled loose. Now I am looking at Stainless Steele Entry Door Holder with a 90 Degree angel.

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
Retire09

No Damage except to me. Bad storm, and I had left the awning out went to open the door, and the wind grabbed the door, and pulled me out lost balance fell and broke my foot. I was able to save the awning but not me. Had to shorten trip, and wife had to do all the driving home.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
vfp

FR3 Entry Door in the wind

We have an FR3 and have the same trouble. In fact the door end of the strut containing a plastic thread actually split. It had an 800 number on it and we replaced that end (with one with steel threads). In addition I have drilled a hole in the bottom of the door big enough for the end of a bungee cord and now hook the door to the front wheel with the bungee cord, particularly when the wind is blowing. Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #7

I have broken two of the hydraulic rod ends on my Sunseeker 3010DS. How about some pic's and info on the repairs and solutions.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #8

High winds here today too. Same issue. Door picks up the wind like a sail. I've already replaced the bottom hinge screws with rivets and don't want to put too much pressure on the gas cylinder so I think I ,might try to install a door stop bracket that locks it open just slightly less than he full gas shock holds it.

On my travel trailer we had a T shaped latch that fit in a slotted bracket on. The outside of the door. If I could find one of those long enough to mount on the outside right of the door that may work.

2014 FR330 DS
Old 05-27-2015, 10:34 PM   #9

This is what I think I am going to try next:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LF3LV0/...3ac206682c00_S

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door