Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #1

Red face Entry step problem fr3

Entry step is a problem.. far too low... You hit every curb.

Solution 1 ) Revove the 3th step.... hacksaw.

Solution 2 ) on the right side of the screendoor is a magnet that moves your doorstep out and in when the door opens.
Next to the magnet pull out the 2 wires carefully, blank each wire a bit... connect 2 extension cables 3 feet, and isolate with tape. Use the blank swich on the panel, install a switch (automotive) connect the 2 wires .... now you can keep the step in permanent.... when you park, open the door carefully... check if you can extend the step//// and switch to do so.
pimhelmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #2
Motoring

Mine already has a switch to turn off in either open or closed position. Right next to the awning and outside light buttons.

We did have to have it rewired under warranty to get it working properly.
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

My wife and I don't like the 3 step. Can't park next to a curb or anywhere that has a rise of 4" or more. I'm seriously considering solution #1. Only problem is that it will void the warranty. Guess I could see if FR would exchange the 3 step for a 2 step but, I highly doubt it.
I'll let you know what they say. :-)

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #4

I disconnect the step and use a two step stool to get in and out of rig while traveling. When I'm parked, I re-connect it. Only minor issue is you have to crawl under the rig. Not a big deal, use old camping pad to lay on when I do this. Options if some one with a disability, then it keep it connected.
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #5

The step switch is easy..... just connect the wire before the magnet with the wire after the magnet,,,,, with a switch .... off course.... so you can break or make the contact. the wire is next to the doormagnet on the chassis... pull it out with a screwdriver... carefull.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #6

PS 2 wires are there..... just remove the 2 screw plastic panel in the doorwell right side when you go out. its a 1 foot long plastic corner cover.

Use an auto motive switch $5,- like the oned for the Outdoor light, In mine there was a blank switch panel....... any switch will do.

You dont have to lay down under the step...thats dangerous.