Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #1

Exit Window Question

I have the 2014 FR3 30DS which has a big window that pushes out as an emergency exit. My wife was about to open the window to talk to someone outside and I stopped her. Is this window one where if you open it you can close it right back or is it the type where you need to get the RV serviced to put it back in place? It looks to me like it would have to be resealed/serviced. Has anyone opened theirs and had an issue or opened it and not had an issue. Any info would be appreciated.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Always Learning

Any chance you can post a picture of it?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140411_145254.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	49635

Name:	ForumRunner_20140411_145319.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	49636

Name:	ForumRunner_20140411_145334.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	49637

Sorry for the rotation on the last one.
Phone won't let me rotate it.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #4

It appears that it's able to be opened, looks like my exit windows and they have their own seals.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Always Learning

Ok, I'm out of ideas. My emergency window has a handle in the middle to open it. Hopefully someone better/smarter/funnier comes along.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #6

Looks pretty standard. Actually, a lot of people suggest opening them from time to time so you know they will not be stuck shut if you ever need them in an emergency.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

TOWTA opens ours all the time to get a breeze if the AC is not on, especially at night.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by travyp View Post
Looks pretty standard. Actually, a lot of people suggest opening them from time to time so you know they will not be stuck shut if you ever need them in an emergency.
What you said plus knowing how to operate it in an emergency.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Yeah. It opens a little way for ventilation. Just make sure it latches back or it'll flap in TBD wind going down the highway.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

In case of emergency, I plan on forgetting the window and grabbing one of the fire extinguishers on each side at the foot of the bed and heading for the door. Don't cotton to dropping 4' or 5' out of a window, but that's JMO.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #11

You'd be surprised how far down you will jump with flames nipping at your butt. We open ours for ventilation in the bedroom but you have to be careful as a swift breeze will jar it and it will fly open....My last fifth wheel I drilled a hole in the red handle and put a large toothpick in it to keep it from coming open but still could be forced if necessary....
rlreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlreed View Post
You'd be surprised how far down you will jump with flames nipping at your butt. We open ours for ventilation in the bedroom but you have to be careful as a swift breeze will jar it and it will fly open....My last fifth wheel I drilled a hole in the red handle and put a large toothpick in it to keep it from coming open but still could be forced if necessary....
At my age, I'll still go for the door.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #13

My wife opens that window which is located in the bedroom all the time. That arm that you take out of the clip will hold it about 6 to 8" from the bottom. It will not fall out. In an emergency God Forbid, you can kick it out. But you can still open it. If you look at the handle it will lock in place when open, it's the only way to hold it open. Just don't forget to close it. Just ask me why one day. In all of that it is an operative window but you need to lock the bar full open. No problem at all. But remember to close and turn the handle 90 degrees to relock it when you travel. Safe Travels this season...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #14

I attended an RV boot camp in January where a fire expert highly recommended several things:

1. Practice escaping through the escape window. When I got home, I did it a couple of times. The first time was a bit awkward. The second time I realized I can easily reach the ladder once I stick my legs out (belly down). I'm really glad I did this. I have confidence that I actually can get out and hopefully without breaking any bones.
2. Open that window regularly so it doesn't get stuck.
3. Buy additional fire extinguishers. I now have one in the cockpit, one under the sink, one in the bedroom, and one in an unlocked bin outside.
4. Buy better smoke detectors.
5. If you are awakened by a smoke alarm, do not try to fight the fire. Get out. RV fires are notoriously quick burning and deadly. This expert said you may have as little as 20 seconds to get out.

Oh, he also recommended that if you have an escape window like on the FR3 where it doesn't hold itself open, buy a two-foot long dowel to keep by the window for propping it open.

For what it's worth...

Barbara
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
My wife opens that window which is located in the bedroom all the time. That arm that you take out of the clip will hold it about 6 to 8" from the bottom. It will not fall out. In an emergency God Forbid, you can kick it out. But you can still open it. If you look at the handle it will lock in place when open, it's the only way to hold it open. Just don't forget to close it. Just ask me why one day. In all of that it is an operative window but you need to lock the bar full open. No problem at all. But remember to close and turn the handle 90 degrees to relock it when you travel. Safe Travels this season...
This sounds like the type we had in our 23SS. It had a single bar in the middle that locked in place to hold the window open about 10" or so. When closed it went 90° to the side and clicked into place, locking it closed. It also had a screen on it to keep the bugs out, that could easily be pulled out to escape. Really nicely designed.

The FR3 only has the bedroom emergency window and the main door. I guess you could use the front windows or the main windows in the slide out, but you'd have a nice drop to contend with. The drop would still be better than the fire.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
I attended an RV boot camp in January where a fire expert highly recommended several things:

1. Practice escaping through the escape window. When I got home, I did it a couple of times. The first time was a bit awkward. The second time I realized I can easily reach the ladder once I stick my legs out (belly down). I'm really glad I did this. I have confidence that I actually can get out and hopefully without breaking any bones.
3. Buy additional fire extinguishers. I now have one in the cockpit, one under the sink, one in the bedroom, and one in an unlocked bin outside.
5. If you are awakened by a smoke alarm, do not try to fight the fire. Get out. RV fires are notoriously quick burning and deadly. This expert said you may have as little as 20 seconds to get out.

Oh, he also recommended that if you have an escape window like on the FR3 where it doesn't hold itself open, buy a two-foot long dowel to keep by the window for propping it open.

For what it's worth...

Barbara
These sound like some very good ideas! I definitely like the practice fire drill idea. We did that at home when the kids were little, but never gave it a thought with our RV. Extremely good advice and things we will be doing now, too!
Thank You Barbara!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post

For what it's worth...

Barbara
Barb gives Good Info,practice could save your Life! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #18

Yeah, we all have this image in our minds... I'll just go out the window. Try it. If you're like me and no longer twenty-one, or even thirty-one, or forty-one, or--well, you get the picture--you will be surprised how tentative and awkward you may feel. I'm in reasonably good condition, do yoga, etc., and I found it a challenge. I mean, you have to stick your lower body out the window and at some point support yourself with you arms as you lower your feet to the bumper. That's when I decided to try the ladder, which was easier.
Another suggestion the guy gave was to draper your blanket or duvet or whatever over the window ledge. Protects a bit from hard edges and you can pull it after you and have something to wrap in if it's cold weather.
If I got nothing else out of that RV bot camp, the fire safety information was worth it. The guy who gave the class was clearly seriously committed to saving lives.

All that said, I'll also do my best not to have a fire in the first place.

B
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMaster View Post
Attachment 49635

Attachment 49636

Attachment 49637

Sorry for the rotation on the last one.
Phone won't let me rotate it.
I am not so sure. I don't see any hinges!

If this is the "use only in an emergency type" the window will just fall out and break. If it is one that can be opened (like mine is) there are hinges outside and a lever with a latch to prop the window open.

My dinette window looks like yours (no hinges) and if I pull that lever the window will fall out.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #20

Same type window in our bedroom and I do open it. We don't physically practice fire escapes but I check the exit windows to make sure they are free and will open.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Power Vents | 25ds »